Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Jrue Watch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    What the rush to trade Jrue now (instead of before the trade deadline) is beyond me. We probably aren?t going to make the playoffs this year, so keeping him isn?t hurting our long term growth (as he will still be a much needed veteran leader). But I don?t get paid to trade Boarder line AS players for the 6th pick in a bad draft.

I think he will have more trade value now compared to before the trade deadline... teams would want to start strong and have more time to know jrue and hopefully get him to extend, while as if it's before the deadline that team only gets to have jrue for half the season and less time to convince him to stay.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Besides, what if he gets hurt? Trade him now.

IMO I stand firm on getting Myles Turner (if he's actually on the block) and maybe trying to get a spacer in a S&T for someone like Joe Harris (maybe pacers, nets, and pels in three team trade?). Resign F-jax, Kenrich, and Okafor as insurance.

PG: Ball, F-jax, NAW
    SG: Hart, Reddick, NAW
    SF: Ingram, Harris, Kenrich
    PF: Zion, Melli
    C: Turner, Hayes, Okafor

The most important things we need to add are shooters, wing defenders and rim protectors. We have the scoring we need in Ingram and Zion, having someone space the floor for them to make life easier on offense and also a rim protector so Zion doesn’t have to get beat up. Turner fits the bill, but even with turner I would still like another 3 and D shooting guard, that’s why I really really like Josh green. Great size at 6’6”, elite athleticism to run the floor with our guys, he’s a highlight real type of athlete, a very good 3 pointer shooter and he’s an elite defender. He would fit in beautifully. He won’t take away touches from Ingram and Zion but his presence will still be felt defending the wing, spacing the floor, and running people out the gym with Lonzo, Ingram, Zion and Hayes.

Can’t think of too much better of a fit. In a perfect world I’d like to trade Lonzo and land Tyrese Haliburton and draft Green. Or if we somehow get the Hawks pick at 6 we could keep Ball.

Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I see you Griff

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I see you Griff
    1) Lottery pick would still give an avenue to Hayes
    2) Sends Jrue to a contender
    3) Boston has enough good players to give one up
    4) Gets Jrue out of the West

There are some upsides. It would obviously depend on what the deal was: I'm not massively enthralled by Jaylen Brown for example, and the Celtics future picks aren't worth much to me.

There are some upsides. It would obviously depend on what the deal was: I'm not massively enthralled by Jaylen Brown for example, and the Celtics future picks aren't worth much to me.
    I don't think they would give us Brown. They'd try to pawn off Hayward on us. Personally I don't want that but it wouldn't be TERRIBLE.

EDIT: My bad Dae, I now see what you mean lol. However I will say if we deal with Ainge, there's a good chance we get played. He's a master finesser
    Last edited by hornetzplaya; 11-12-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    I don't think they would give us Brown. They'd try to pawn off Hayward on us. Personally I don't want that but it wouldn't be TERRIBLE.
    I like Hayward but his contract is basically the same size as Jrue's, it would be hard to bring back any other players without adding more guys on our side as well, and in any Jrue trade I would want at least one actual player back that I could see being here in a few years, which is not the case for Hayward.

Brown is massively overrated by some. Not saying that you're doing this, but there are people out there who act like he's untouchable. In reality, he's a much spottier defender than most people think, and quite a mediocre decision maker. He's a good roleplayer, even at his age (and obviously a smart and pleasant person outside of basketball) but he's probably not going much further than a roleplayer. Given that Boston has a lot of youth already in the form of Tatum, Williams, Smart, etc, I wouldn't find it outside of possibility that they would consider moving one of their younger guys if they thought it brought them closer to a ring.

Not enthralled by Brown? He is likely better than anything we can possibly get for Jrue. I would easily trade Jrue straight up for Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not enthralled by Brown? He is likely better than anything we can possibly get for Jrue. I would easily trade Jrue straight up for Brown.
    I'd be curious to know how the SG & SF Rotations would work. Assuming we only get Hayward or Brown. Playing either one of these guys or Ingram at SG seems questionable

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I see you Griff
    Jesus. Boston offering almost the same thing for Holiday as they did for Davis. . This is getting good.

I?m saying. I could make an argument that for much of this past season, Jaylen could be argued as just as good if not BETTER than Jrue in the same type of role tbh (I like Jrue but we loss 13 games in a row and totally buckled in the bubble with a 29 year old vet in his prime). Then you add a lottery pick in the mix. Wouldn?t think twice!

He's not as good as people think he is *shrugs*

RESPECT DA KID!!! Contributor BigChris504's Avatar
    Silly question this may be, but is Kemba at all in the realm of possibilities?

They do mention Marcus Smart. I'd take him and a lotto pick and even give them a lil extra

In order to deal with Boston, Pelicans would have to take back Smart and salaries and/or picks. I think the only way it might work with Boston is to get a third team involved. How about Atlanta.

Boston gets: J. Holiday

Atlanta gets: M. Smart, E. Kanter, NAW

New Orleans gets: D. Hunter, R. Langford, ATL6, BOS14

That would give Pelicans three Lottery Picks.

Package: NO13, BOS14 to Knicks for NYK8 (Knicks in total rebuild) or stand ready to deal as the draft unfolds.

With ATL6: Pelicans take Hayes or Avdija

With NYK8: Pelicans take Williams or Halliburton

Essentially.......

The Celtics get their man (Holiday)
    The Hawks get Smart for ATL6; + Kanter and NAW for Hunter.
    The Pelicans could end up with Hunter, Langford, Hayes, and Williams for Holiday

PS: I would also deal all my second round picks this year for a first rounder next year.
    Last edited by As I See It; 11-12-2020 at 03:57 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    We've clearly zeroed in on taking the 6th pick. If the Celtics are the 3rd team (which I doubt Atlanta would wanna facilitate if they can help it) then yeah, let's get Langford or Time Lord.

I might be in the minority here but I'd prefer Huerter to Langford, Time Lord, or 8 (if we're getting 6)

Quote Originally Posted by BigChris504 View Post
    Silly question this may be, but is Kemba at all in the realm of possibilities?
    A lot of Celtics fans have been talking about how they dislike him partially because of how he gets targeted on defense, and see him as being replaceable given Tatum's fairly large leap in playmaking over last season, and how they would love to swap him for Jrue.

Of course, what fans want doesn't tell you what the GM of the team wants, but it's something that's at least in the air.

For me, I wouldn't be interested. Kemba is 6'0, a really poor defender, turns 31 next year (older than Jrue), and his contract is pretty massive, it's about $36m a year for the next 3 years. That's way too much for me, I think it would really hurt to have that sat on the books in Zion's year 3 and 4, right when he should really be taking over the team and having adjustments made for him.

The one major bonus he has going for him is that he's a very good pull-up shooter, which is something that you actually want with Zion, but is that enough to offset the age, defense, and contract issues? Not for me.

I'd be much more interested in Smart. 26 years old, ridiculously good defender (might be the only guard in the league who can challenge Jrue on D), and has progressed as a shooter: his raw 3pt% is unimpressive, but the volume is great and he shot 41% on pullups this year, actually better than Kemba and second only to Tatum on the Celtics. Of course, again, you can argue whether that's an outlier year because he was only about 36% on pullups the year before iirc, but at 26 he's young enough that it could just be improvement.

Not sure how it would work though. Mathematically, you could do something like Jrue + Lonzo + 2nds for Smart + Hayward + #6 (or whatever they end up packaging their picks for), but the Hayward element would be a big quibble.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    We've clearly zeroed in on taking the 6th pick. If the Celtics are the 3rd team (which I doubt Atlanta would wanna facilitate if they can help it) then yeah, let's get Langford or Time Lord.
    Really not interested in TL. I get the appeal but I don't see much of a place for him here, given Zion and Jax. Unless you think he's clearly a better C prospect than Jax, it doesn't make much sense, and given that he's already 23 and hasn't shown anything better than Jax has already done at 3 years younger, I'm not sure of the argument for that.

Langford I like, but he's clearly not enough to be the main return in a Jrue trade. Would have to be a 3 teamer, as you say, but then the question is who with?

He's not as good as people think he is *shrugs*
    Welcome to your opinion, but I disagree. To me, a 24 year old player like Brown is good value in a trade for Jrue.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    I'd be curious to know how the SG & SF Rotations would work. Assuming we only get Hayward or Brown. Playing either one of these guys or Ingram at SG seems questionable
    Why not Brown at the 2?

Welcome to your opinion, but I disagree. To me, a 24 year old player like Brown is good value in a trade for Jrue.
    Well I mean in fairness, it depends how good you think Jaylen Brown is.

If you think he's a solid 3rd option, then we probably agree-ish. If you think he's a really good 2nd option, then we disagree, and that's where a lot of people's evaluation of him seems to be. Similarly, a lot of people appear to believe that he's a top tier defender, when he's actually just alright and has his awareness issues kind of covered by Boston's system and being surrounded by other, really good defenders like Smart, Tatum, and Theis.

The question is, is a decent 3rd option a good return for Jrue, when you're almost guaranteed (due to the public perception of Brown) to get very little else alongside it? I don't think it is.

If the Celtics would take Jrue for Brown and the 14th pick I would make that trade without a second of hesitation

Thread Information