Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Jrue Watch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    We won't know if Giannis is extending until the end of the season. So that definitely rules Miami out then? (of trading for Jrue sometime soon)
    Giannis would extend by the end of November or earlier) or not at all. And it will be known one way or another around the league earlier than that. The second the moratorium lifts, he will be offered it and you either sign that in the first few days or you wait until the next offseason
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Maybe, but I have zero belief Giannis goes to Miami. Maybe they're willing to bet rather a lot on that, but in my opinion it's unlikely. Obviously they have access to more info than we do, so they can make their judgement and maybe Pat Riley really buys their in-roads with Giannis which would change things, but I can only go off what I know. So I'm not factoring in the Giannis variable.

I do see the fit concern, but honestly I don't think that's a huge issue. Jimmy is perfectly capable of playing on or off ball, as is Dragic (if they keep him), and the Heat have a desperate need for someone who can run offense reliably in the half-court when Butler is sitting. Jrue fills that need extremely well for them.

I have to say that I disagree with the people who think he's going to be ''maybe better'' than Booker.
    Zero belief?

I would say that Miami is the current favorite if you ask around the league. Not saying its a lock but most people believe its more likely to be Miami or Toronto than Milwaukee. Those are the 3 teams that anybody in the league will tell you they would bet on him being on in 2021. With Dallas and the Lakers as long shots that might get a vote or two

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Giannis would extend by the end of November or earlier) or not at all. And it will be known one way or another around the league earlier than that. The second the moratorium lifts, he will be offered it and you either sign that in the first few days or you wait until the next offseason
    If he waits then Miami will want to wait too, and probably wouldn't pull the trigger on Jrue

Zero belief?

I would say that Miami is the current favorite if you ask around the league. Not saying its a lock but most people believe its more likely to be Miami or Toronto than Milwaukee. Those are the 3 teams that anybody in the league will tell you they would bet on him being on in 2021. With Dallas and the Lakers as long shots that might get a vote or two
    I think Toronto is the favourite, given Giannis' relationship with Masai. Also not saying it's a lock. Would be shocked out of my socks if it was Dallas, weirdly enough.
    Basketball.

If he waits then Miami will want to wait too, and probably wouldn't pull the trigger on Jrue
    I think the league will know if Giannis is extending or not by the draft. And I dont think Griffin moves Jrue until the draft, or day before. Either way, I think the league will know before Griff pulls the trigger.

Griff is VERY deliberate with these things. Shams said he is talking now, but Griff doesnt rush anything. The Lakers discussions went on for a while. You saw how long Griff took to hire a coach. He is gonna play this out and the league will know Giannis decision before Jrue is moved IMO

I think the league will know if Giannis is extending or not by the draft. And I dont think Griffin moves Jrue until the draft, or day before. Either way, I think the league will know before Griff pulls the trigger.

Griff is VERY deliberate with these things. Shams said he is talking now, but Griff doesnt rush anything. The Lakers discussions went on for a while. You saw how long Griff took to hire a coach. He is gonna play this out and the league will know Giannis decision before Jrue is moved IMO
    I'll be super surprised if Giannis extends at any stage before the deadline

Bucks say they won't trade him but do they have a choice?

I'll be super surprised if Giannis extends at any stage before the deadline

Bucks say they won't trade him but do they have a choice?
    Bucks wont trade him. Also, you are using recency bias and other superstars and projecting that onto Giannis. He is vastly different than all those guys. He genuinely wants more than anything to play his entire career in one city and be the guy who brings titles there. He is looking for every reason to stay, while guys like Kyrie, Kawhi, AD, etc were looking for reasons to leave. Giannis is so different from those guys. Now, he might leave because there just is no path for him to be successful there, but he really, really wants to stay

Bucks wont trade him. Also, you are using recency bias and other superstars and projecting that onto Giannis. He is vastly different than all those guys. He genuinely wants more than anything to play his entire career in one city and be the guy who brings titles there. He is looking for every reason to stay, while guys like Kyrie, Kawhi, AD, etc were looking for reasons to leave. Giannis is so different from those guys. Now, he might leave because there just is no path for him to be successful there, but he really, really wants to stay
    Agreed. He's not like most other superstars, not at all. Every bit of information we've received from Giannis' camp has been that if he can find a reason to stay in Milwaukee, he will stay in Milwaukee. He's theirs to lose. Now, they may just lose him anyway, but it's not just a given like it is for most non-major franchises with players of Giannis' calibre.

If they can sell him on a real vision to overcome their problems of the last two years, he signs the extension as soon as he can. He wants to stay.

Agreed. He's not like most other superstars, not at all. Every bit of information we've received from Giannis' camp has been that if he can find a reason to stay in Milwaukee, he will stay in Milwaukee. He's theirs to lose. Now, they may just lose him anyway, but it's not just a given like it is for most non-major franchises with players of Giannis' calibre.

If they can sell him on a real vision to overcome their problems of the last two years, he signs the extension as soon as he can. He wants to stay.
    Surely he'd want to see some sort of roster upgrade prior to extending

Surely he'd want to see some sort of roster upgrade prior to extending
    That might well be part of ''a real vision to overcome their problems'', yes.

That might well be part of ''a real vision to overcome their problems'', yes.
    So odds are won't sign an extension at 12:01 then

So odds are won't sign an extension at 12:01 then
    Teams have been discussing things with other teams and players for weeks. Again, Giannis will know what options the Bucks have well before he can even officially sign anything and he will know how he feels about the organization before he can officially sign too. If you think teams and agents are just sitting around for things to be legal before they start putting together their offseason, you are crazy. Giannis and the Bucks and all the other teams will know Giannis intentions before Jrue is traded

Teams have been discussing things with other teams and players for weeks. Again, Giannis will know what options the Bucks have well before he can even officially sign anything and he will know how he feels about the organization before he can officially sign too. If you think teams and agents are just sitting around for things to be legal before they start putting together their offseason, you are crazy. Giannis and the Bucks and all the other teams will know Giannis intentions before Jrue is traded
    Nah I don't. I'm sure Milwaukee has has put forward various plausible scenarios of how they're going to get better to Giannis already

I dont think Giannis signs it BTW. Just pointing out that if it does or doesnt happen, it will be known before Jrue is traded. We should all be rooting hard for him to let Milwaukee and the rest of the league know he plans on signing it

I dont think Giannis signs it BTW. Just pointing out that if it does or doesnt happen, it will be known before Jrue is traded. We should all be rooting hard for him to let Milwaukee and the rest of the league know he plans on signing it
    If he's planning on signing it, wouldn't that mean it's conditional on some future events happening?

If not, he'd sign immediately

If he was an overpaid defensive minded wing with low usage, no it wouldn't be that bad.

But every shot he takes. Every time he takes the ball and isos on the wing. Every bad post up (yes he posts quite a bit)...that is taking away a rep from Zion or Ingram
    Yeah, I was going more on the "if his contract wasn't so big" comments that were going around. Totally agree on the usage.

So Griff now refutes the rumor?
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Driving up his value

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Driving up his value
    It seems sensible to me. Jrue is a good person who likes the community, and from what we've been told, he hasn't actually asked for a trade yet. So Griff is taking calls, seriously engaging in them, but he isn't desperate to move Jrue for just whatever the first offer is. He'll listen and hear out his options, knowing that Jrue isn't going to ruin his negotiation platform like AD did, and make the decision based on that.

I kinda want to sent Jrue to a championship level team. The only one with any real assets is Brooklyn.

Get Jrue a championship and keep Lebron from going btb.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I kinda want to sent Jrue to a championship level team. The only one with any real assets is Brooklyn.

He's gonna win 1...2...3...4.
    What a FW.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post

The problem is, Brooklyn is a team that looks like a championship team on its face, but really may not be when examined more deeply.

On the surface you look at it and you go yeah, KD, Kyrie, Deandre Jordan, (in this picture) Jrue, roleplayers like Joe Harris and maybe Dinwiddie's back, that's a great team.

Until you remember that KD is 32 coming off the most devastating injury in sports and will probably not be anything like his old self, at least on defense and off the bounce (the shooting will probably be fine), and Kyrie has a 50/50 shot at falling apart like a surprised Lego any given season because of his broken legs, and DeAndre Jordan stopped being good about 4 years ago.

Then you remember that this is a conference where the Raptors still exist and are continually reloading/improving, with Kyle Lowry still there and still very effective, Pascal Siakam taking the leaps, potentially keeping FVV, Anunoby taking a leap this last year, etc. Miami, too, which in this situation didn't get Jrue and therefore still have Herro to go along with Bam and Butler and Duncan Robinson; possibly Dragic too.

Then, suddenly, the Nets don't look anything like one of the two or three teams most likely to win a ring. In fact, they probably aren't a top 3 candidate to make it out of their conference, especially when you consider that we have no idea how good Nash will be as a coach (especially when compared to Eastern Conference competitors like Spoelstra and Nurse), and the possibility that, looking to keep Giannis, the Bucks re-tool as well.

If you want Jrue to win a ring, imo, the best place to want to send him (outside of somewhere that has no assets like LA) is Miami.

I want any team with Kyrie on it to lose.

how would y'all feel about trying to get Hunter back from ATL in a potential Jrue trade? I never wanted to trade him to begin with

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Jrue to the warriors for Wiggins and the #2 pick.
    I was thinking Jrue and 13th pick for 2nd pick, but this sounds better.

Thread Information