Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Jrue Watch Thread

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

Just tossing this new info in case someone wants to come up with a trade.

Whatever it ends up being, I’m excited. I love Jrue but he isn’t a long time piece, if we trade him and get a stud draft pick or a young promising player this team will have improved for the future

Doesn't it seem like this is a sure fire 3 team trade to make salaries work? Lets say it is. Whos is most likely to get involved? Cleveland and Drummond? Detroit and Griffin?

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post

Just tossing this new info in case someone wants to come up with a trade.
    That could be interesting.

I know Hayward didn't set the world on fire last year, and because of Kemba and Tatum didn't really get a huge amount of play, but he was actually pretty good. Not as good as he had previously been in Utah, but showed clear signs of recovery.

Averaged basically 17/7/4 on 50/38/86 splits (59.5%TS), a solid BPM (+2.7), +1.52 PIPM, 4.87 Wins Added. He was a slight negative on defense, but not a disaster or anything, and played really well off-ball as a that third option. Can do some playmaking when called on to do it, finishes well at the rim (even though it's fairly low volume), can shoot.

The concern is that he's the same age as Jrue (they're both 30, I think). Could be expensive too, I think it would have to be S&T sort of situation and depending on what he wants that could be tough. I certainly wouldn't want to pay him what he earned on his last deal, or what he would get if he opted in to his player option ($34m).
    Basketball.

Nope, young promising vets or picks only please

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Nope, young promising vets or picks only please
    How young can you be while still qualifying as a vet?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Well you can get the vet min after your rookie deal so pretty young

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Well you can get the vet min after your rookie deal so pretty young
    I get that, but I meant more for HornetGuru's personal judgement.

The funny thing about the term ''young vet'' is that the actual definition of it seems to change depending on what's most convenient for the user at the time. If it's a player you like, the young vet can be 27 or 28. If it's a player you hate, the borderline is like, 25, which is the reason they're too old.

Just throwing this out there and then ducking from the blowback: we're not contending for another few years, so is Wiggins' contract really THAT bad? Seems like it would be ending right around the time we're really ramping up. At this rate, we're going to be mostly rookie contracts until then. It would be so much more awesome if there was better top talent in this draft.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    He'll be 31 next season on a one year $34m+ annual salary and that doesn't sound super appealing when you factor in he's good but not great. Only if we needed the money to work I would think as part of a bigger deal. Certainly not a centerpiece of a Jrue trade and too expensive in any other context.
    Last edited by donato; 11-04-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Just throwing this out there and then ducking from the blowback: we're not contending for another few years, so is Wiggins' contract really THAT bad? Seems like it would be ending right around the time we're really ramping up. At this rate, we're going to be mostly rookie contracts until then. It would be so much more awesome if there was better top talent in this draft.
    If he was an overpaid defensive minded wing with low usage, no it wouldn't be that bad.

But every shot he takes. Every time he takes the ball and isos on the wing. Every bad post up (yes he posts quite a bit)...that is taking away a rep from Zion or Ingram
    @mcnamara247

It was fun talking about trade, but I'm kind of sad that it's probably gonna happen. Love me some Jrue.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    If he was an overpaid defensive minded wing with low usage, no it wouldn't be that bad.

But every shot he takes. Every time he takes the ball and isos on the wing. Every bad post up (yes he posts quite a bit)...that is taking away a rep from Zion or Ingram
    Absolutely.

As I said before, if the guy you are proposing as the centrepiece of your trade has no impact without the ball, then I don't want him.

Wiggins needs the ball to thrive. His primary skill is getting his. He's a really quite sub-par defender, not a particularly good passer, isn't a particularly good 3pt shooter, doesn't really screen or rebound at a high level, etc. His none-'gettin buckets' skills almost don't exist, and that means unless you're running offense through him, he isn't really doing anything for you. The problem then comes in when you realise that he's not actually any good at being an offensive hub due to his poor decision making, and lack of playmaking.

I name dropped Lavine as a precise example of the kind of high-usage, ball dominant, scoring primary type that you do not want from this trade. Wiggins is precisely in that mold of player, but worse because at least Lavine can really shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    He'll be 31 next season on a one year $34m+ annual salary and that doesn't sound super appealing when you factor in he's good but not great. Only if we needed the money to work I would think as part of a bigger deal. Certainly not a centerpiece of a Jrue trade and too expensive in any other context.
    I know, I mentioned his age in my own post.

My question wasn't to say that Hayward is a young player, but rather, to get an actual concrete answer as to the age limit HornetGuru would find acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    It was fun talking about trade, but I'm kind of sad that it's probably gonna happen. Love me some Jrue.
    I agree. I love Jrue. He's really good, seems to be a good person, has never disrespected the team or the fans, generally plays hard, held the team together while the AD stuff was going on, etc. In a perfect world, he'd be a Pelicans mainstay until he hung it up, but apparently that's just not to be the case.

Still want his jersey retired.

After watching Herro in the playoffs, he is one of my absolute favorite players in the NBA. His upside is stratospheric.

Would absolutely do Jrue for him, even tempted to throw in a pick which is maybe absurd at present valuation of the players in question, but that is how ridiculous I think Herro's upside is.

Would Miami do it? Jrue does fix a bunch of Miami's current problems and fits their timeline. Does Jrue have that rabid pitbull mentality in him that seems to define the Heat team? Or will their culture bring it out of him? Could be a deciding factor.

I think people need to seriously evaluate whether their perception of Herro is based on an actual set of observable facts about Herro, or the image that he's presented with, particularly during the playoffs.

This isn't to say Herro didn't have a good rookie year, and a very good playoff run: he absolutely did. It's not to say he doesn't have a future as a good player: I think he does.

But the way some people are talking about Herro is like we just watched rookie year Lebron James or something

'

I, for one, haven't paid attention to anyone else's opinion of Herro whatsoever, so I cannot speak to that.

What I did observe, was an EXTREMELY rare combination in a rookie: incredible confidence, calmness, and aggression that was combined with excellent decision-making and fundamentals, displayed during games played at the highest stakes no less.

If people are comparing his to Lebron's rookie year, that is of course absurd. Herro will never reach those heights and will never possess the physicality and athleticism of perhaps the greatest athletic human specimen on the planet. Nor will he probably ever get close to what Luka has already accomplished.

However, I have been watching basketball for quite a long time, and Herro has some absurd attributes for a young player--primarily mental--that, to me, indicate an extremely high ceiling if properly nurtured.

After you’re off your rookie deal. Gordon doesn’t fit this team long term

This, great post.

If we can gain a nice young piece AND move up in the draft I’ll be ecstatic

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    I, for one, haven't paid attention to anyone else's opinion of Herro whatsoever, so I cannot speak to that.

What I did observe, was an EXTREMELY rare combination in a rookie: incredible confidence, calmness, and aggression that was combined with excellent decision-making and fundamentals, displayed during games played at the highest stakes no less.

If people are comparing his to Lebron's rookie year, that is of course absurd. Herro will never reach those heights and will never possess the physicality and athleticism of perhaps the greatest athletic human specimen on the planet. Nor will he probably ever get close to what Luka has already accomplished.

However, I have been watching basketball for quite a long time, and Herro has some absurd attributes for a young player--primarily mental--that, to me, indicate an extremely high ceiling if properly nurtured.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Herro. That's why I said I would want him as the centrepiece of a Jrue deal if we went the Miami route: he's really promising. Great shooting prospect, improved as a playmaker as the year went along, etc. Obviously has a good mentality.

But people are acting like the Heat would throw away championships to keep him. Now, of course, if the Heat don't view Jrue as someone that makes them a championship team, then they don't make the trade, but if they do, the only way Herro stops you making the move is if you think he's shown you enough to believe he will be a top top top star in the league.

Which I do not think he will be. He'll be a very good player, but he has a huge number of hurdles to climb to ever be a top 20 type player.

Don't get me wrong, I like Herro. That's why I said I would want him as the centrepiece of a Jrue deal if we went the Miami route: he's really promising. Great shooting prospect, improved as a playmaker as the year went along, etc. Obviously has a good mentality.

But people are acting like the Heat would throw away championships to keep him. Now, of course, if the Heat don't view Jrue as someone that makes them a championship team, then they don't make the trade, but if they do, the only way Herro stops you making the move is if you think he's shown you enough to believe he will be a top top top star in the league.

Which I do not think he will be. He'll be a very good player, but he has a huge number of hurdles to climb to ever be a top 20 type player.
    Supposedly there are some in the organization that think he can be Booker, maybe better. And while Jrue is a better player right now, you could argue he isnt the better fit. Combine that with the whole Giannis variable, and I cant see how they trade Herro for Jrue. They can be contenders next year and then go into the next offseason with just Herro, Duncan and Bams hold on the books, plus Jimmy. That would allow them to get Giannis and maybe even one more good FA. Or bring back all their own guys. I just cant see jepordizing that for Jrue. Now, if Giannis extends, then I can see going for it. But their home run right now is just to re-sign everyone for 1 year and then shoot for Giannis in 2021. Core of Herro, Jimmy, Duncan, Giannis, Bam is a dynasty in the making

Supposedly there are some in the organization that think he can be Booker, maybe better. And while Jrue is a better player right now, you could argue he isnt the better fit. Combine that with the whole Giannis variable, and I cant see how they trade Herro for Jrue. They can be contenders next year and then go into the next offseason with just Herro, Duncan and Bams hold on the books, plus Jimmy. That would allow them to get Giannis and maybe even one more good FA. Or bring back all their own guys. I just cant see jepordizing that for Jrue. Now, if Giannis extends, then I can see going for it. But their home run right now is just to re-sign everyone for 1 year and then shoot for Giannis in 2021. Core of Herro, Jimmy, Duncan, Giannis, Bam is a dynasty in the making
    Maybe, but I have zero belief Giannis goes to Miami. Maybe they're willing to bet rather a lot on that, but in my opinion it's unlikely. Obviously they have access to more info than we do, so they can make their judgement and maybe Pat Riley really buys their in-roads with Giannis which would change things, but I can only go off what I know. So I'm not factoring in the Giannis variable.

I do see the fit concern, but honestly I don't think that's a huge issue. Jimmy is perfectly capable of playing on or off ball, as is Dragic (if they keep him), and the Heat have a desperate need for someone who can run offense reliably in the half-court when Butler is sitting. Jrue fills that need extremely well for them.

I have to say that I disagree with the people who think he's going to be ''maybe better'' than Booker.

We won't know if Giannis is extending until the end of the season. So that definitely rules Miami out then? (of trading for Jrue sometime soon)

Thread Information