Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: 2020 NBA Draft: Call Your Shot

I think Jalen Smith fits nicely. Top rim protector and rebounder. Excellent 3 point shooter. Reminds me a lot of Ibaka.

Draft day trade for Jrue seems likely now. Wonder what assets Langdon and Griff has in mind... (Btw not sure if I did the embedded tweet right.)

I wouldn't call it likely. I still think its slightly more likely Jrue is with us opening night than with another team.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post

Draft day trade for Jrue seems likely now. Wonder what assets Langdon and Griff has in mind... (Btw not sure if I did the embedded tweet right.)
    Leave off the code tags

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I wouldn't call it likely. I still think its slightly more likely Jrue is with us opening night than with another team.
    Is that more due to not being able to get a reasonable deal or do you think there is a good chance he gets an extension?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Is that more due to not being able to get a reasonable deal or do you think there is a good chance he gets an extension?
    The offers just never have been that good. That could change if teams miss out on draft targets or if Giannis signs his extension but the gap between what Griff thinks he is worth and what teams are offering is wide. Just takes one team to say 'F it, lets go for it' but that team hasnt emerged yet

The offers just never have been that good. That could change if teams miss out on draft targets or if Giannis signs his extension but the gap between what Griff thinks he is worth and what teams are offering is wide. Just takes one team to say 'F it, lets go for it' but that team hasnt emerged yet
    I could be very wrong here because I have zero in-roads with any teams, so this is entirely speculation, but I feel like the mixture between there being quite a lot of teams in full-contention mode with fairly short timelines (Lakers have Lebron and AD but that's basically it, no long term assets; Bucks want to keep Giannis, must-win situation this year; Toronto is in the final years of Lowry being good, Gasol just left, most of their good youth isn't there quite yet, etc) and the accelerated season with shorter windows for draft-FA, etc, along with the mercurial nature of this draft class in general, means that there's a higher-than-usual chance of some team making a really huge mistake that impacts them for a good while, and I'm quite excited to see who might be that team.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I could be very wrong here because I have zero in-roads with any teams, so this is entirely speculation, but I feel like the mixture between there being quite a lot of teams in full-contention mode with fairly short timelines (Lakers have Lebron and AD but that's basically it, no long term assets; Bucks want to keep Giannis, must-win situation this year; Toronto is in the final years of Lowry being good, Gasol just left, most of their good youth isn't there quite yet, etc) and the accelerated season with shorter windows for draft-FA, etc, along with the mercurial nature of this draft class in general, means that there's a higher-than-usual chance of some team making a really huge mistake that impacts them for a good while, and I'm quite excited to see who might be that team.
    Its that PLUS Jrue only having a year on his deal, and that knocks off teams who fear he wont re-sign (Minny, Atlanta, etc). And yeah, the teams who are confident that they can keep him if they wanted to (Miami, GS, etc) are more interested in aiming all their guns at Giannis.

The offers get big if: Giannis extends and/or Jrue tells teams he is willing to re-sign for X entension price

Its that PLUS Jrue only having a year on his deal, and that knocks off teams who fear he wont re-sign (Minny, Atlanta, etc). And yeah, the teams who are confident that they can keep him if they wanted to (Miami, GS, etc) are more interested in aiming all their guns at Giannis.

The offers get big if: Giannis extends and/or Jrue tells teams he is willing to re-sign for X entension price
    I keep hearing rumblings about Dallas looking to make a move. I'd be interested in engaging at least in talks to see if there's any fire to go along with the smoke. Not entirely sure what I'd want from them if they are interested, given that I'm kind of meh about Porzingis for personal and health reasons, but it's worth at least discussing. Might be another team to throw on the ''we would need a third team'' pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I keep hearing rumblings about Dallas looking to make a move. I'd be interested in engaging at least in talks to see if there's any fire to go along with the smoke. Not entirely sure what I'd want from them if they are interested, given that I'm kind of meh about Porzingis for personal and health reasons, but it's worth at least discussing. Might be another team to throw on the ''we would need a third team'' pile.
    Dallas has nothing of value IMO. You are talking about Kleber, Delon Wright and bad picks. I mean, maybe someone else likes their junk and if they can get pick 6 somehow and its 6 and 18 for Jrue, plus all the cap space we gain....then maybe. But I dont see how they get anything of value for their junk

Dallas has nothing of value IMO. You are talking about Kleber, Delon Wright and bad picks. I mean, maybe someone else likes their junk and if they can get pick 6 somehow and its 6 and 18 for Jrue, plus all the cap space we gain....then maybe. But I dont see how they get anything of value for their junk
    It's a tough situation because of course, Kleber is good and #18 this year is #18, but it's a bad draft so the value of #18 isn't particularly high, and as you say their future picks are likely to be not much better. Could you use them in a 3 team situation? Maybe, but it's hard to know what they could actually arrange without selling off assets like Porzingis that they likely want to keep.

Thread Information