Pelicans Report

Thread: My one massive trade idea of the abbreviated offseason

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

Trade Idea My one massive trade idea of the abbreviated offseason

Hawks get #1 pick and pair Trae Young with the hometown kid in Anthony Edwards.
    They also nab Horford, Tobias Harris, and Darius Miller in the process, to give them vets to go along with all their young depth that will push them solidly into the Eastern conference playoff contention. A Horford/Capella front court is nasty. And their wing versatility would be solid with Harris, Hunter, Reddish.

76ers clear $42m in salary to give Daryl Morey some flexibility, and take back James Johnson and Darius Miller on expiring deals. They also get the last pick in the draft from the Pelicans. All they give up to do it is Thybulle, #21, #34, and #36. That's a bargain for them to get out of cap jail and create possibilities to build correctly around Embiid and Simmons.

Wolves get the perfect compliment available for their two young stars: Jrue Holiday. Everyone here knows what Jrue would bring to that team on defense and in the locker room where he would be desperately needed. He can also play very well off of DLo on offense. Wolves also pick up #13 from the Pelicans, and I'd grab Jalen Smith there for them.

PELICANS LOAD UP:
    For the Pels, we get the #6 pick and a chance to grab Killian Hayes. Pelicans also pick up Dedmon and John Collins to complete our front court and replace Favors, add Thybulle for defensive help on the wing, while also adding pick #17 and pick #21. I'd try and grab (and stash) Poku and best available wing with those picks. Collins/Dedmon/Jaxson/Melli give you a few different combination to play alongside Zion and even some really good options for non Zion minutes.

Split all of Jrue's minutes between Killian/NAW and let them develop with Hart and JJ staying in their current roles. Let Thybulle lock up the other teams best scorer on the 2nd unit while our 2nd unit goes off.

Ok...
    I'm going back in quarantine. Stay safe ya'll.

If you're gonna make a far fetched trade thread, at least do a summary of who gets what

Points for not being a complete wall of text, but it's still a nighmare to follow
    Last edited by AusPel; 10-31-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Yeah I'm not sure I fully follow all of this.

Even if I did, I'm not sure why you would want Dedmon in a trade where you're ending up with Collins and keeping Hayes.

You're moving Jrue, acquiring a PG, and keeping Lonzo? So we're giving up on Lonzo at PG, or we're playing Killian Hayes at SG? Or is Hayes being used as a backup PG and then JJ is starting at the 2, with NAW behind him? Not sure if that's your intent but that's kind of what I get from this, and I am honestly really really not in love with a starting guard tandem of Lonzo and JJ going forward. Not only is JJ 37, but neither he nor Lonzo can actually run half-court offense at all, and if you're planning on Hayes being your PG of the future then why keep Lonzo when we'd need to pay him big in a year anyway? I'd much rather off-load Lonzo, keep Jrue at the 2, and start Killian in Lonzo's place. Obviously that's harder to do because Lonzo doesn't have Jrue's trade value.

I just can't parse any sense out of it. And that's before getting into how absurdly convoluted the entire thing is.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 10-31-2020 at 03:29 PM.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    wat

I think you've traded darius miller twice in your post. From what I can make of your trade its this:

https://tradenba.com/trades/3y_cBRqJF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nm3trade.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	6544

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    I think you've traded darius miller twice in your post. From what I can make of your trade its this:

https://tradenba.com/trades/3y_cBRqJF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nm3trade.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	6544
    Just looking at it (if that is indeed the trade he intends) there's so much weird about it.

Why on Earth would Atlanta ever do this? They give up a pick and a young, productive player in exchange for two huge contracts that stretch well into the future and the privilege of drafting the #1 pick in a draft famous for having nobody worth paying #1 pick money to, and that's it?

Then the Sixers give up Thybulle, who they apparently really like, and all they get in exchange is cap space. They'd appreciate the cap space, sure, but they would surely want more assets than what they get out of this. Right now they're kind of just getting nothing.

Seems like a really really weird trade.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Just looking at it (if that is indeed the trade he intends) there's so much weird about it.

Why on Earth would Atlanta ever do this? They give up a pick and a young, productive player in exchange for two huge contracts that stretch well into the future and the privilege of drafting the #1 pick in a draft famous for having nobody worth paying #1 pick money to, and that's it?

Then the Sixers give up Thybulle, who they apparently really like, and all they get in exchange is cap space. They'd appreciate the cap space, sure, but they would surely want more assets than what they get out of this. Right now they're kind of just getting nothing.

Seems like a really really weird trade.
    Harris and Horford can still paly, they're just overpaid, and didn't fit in Philly. Atlanta has never had luck getting FA to sign, have a ton of cap room and no one to use it on. Horford is also someone they have a lot of familiarity with in their organization.

At #1, Edwards is actually a good fit to pair next to Trae Young.
    Imagine if the Pelicans had the 6th pick in the draft and the player projected to go #1 was a New Orleans native, LSU star, and played a position that complimented our current roster.
    The Pels would have to at least contemplate the move up. I think ATL would do the same in this scenario. I think they've soured on John Collins and have no intention of locking him into a lucrative next contract. Maybe I've read the wrong articles/speculation - but if they have, then giving him up and taking on salary to jump all the way up to number 1 is not a lot to give up.

I think this would create massive trade exemption for the 76ers that Morey could use to acquire CP3 or another player that fits what they need around Simmons/Embiid.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Harris and Horford can still paly, they're just overpaid, and didn't fit in Philly. Atlanta has never had luck getting FA to sign, have a ton of cap room and no one to use it on. Horford is also someone they have a lot of familiarity with in their organization.

Imagine if the Pelicans had the 6th pick in the draft and the player projected to go #1 was a New Orleans native, LSU star, and played a position that complimented our current roster.
    The Pels would have to at least contemplate the move up. I think ATL would do the same in this scenario. I think they've soured on John Collins and have no intention of locking him into a lucrative next contract. Maybe I've read the wrong articles/speculation - but if they have, then giving him up and taking on salary to jump all the way up to number 1 is not a lot to give up.

I think this would create massive trade exemption for the 76ers that Morey could use to acquire CP3 or another player that fits what they need around Simmons/Embiid.
    You ever gonna write this trade in a coherent format? You've still traded Darius Miller twice

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    You ever gonna write this trade in a coherent format? You've still traded Darius Miller twice
    Darius is just that good. He can play for the Hawks and Sixers at the same time.

It can't happen though. I shipped Miller to the Bulls with Lonzo and NWA, with Jrue going to the Warriors and Wiggins moving to the Wizards. The Pelicans end up with Beal, LaVine, the Warriors' 2nd overall pick and the Bulls' #4 pick and the Pels take Hayes and Okongwu with the picks.
    Last edited by Mount Zion; 11-01-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post

Harris can still play but he's on a deal that ends up with him being paid $40m a year Nobody is taking that on without additional compensation: that's Lebron James money for a mid-tier player. That additional compensation doesn't come in the form of another albatross contract from Al Horford who, I am sure, is still better than what he showed in Philly this year, but has clearly taken a step back from just a handful of years ago. Could he still be a productive vet somewhere, in a better situation? Totally, I'm sure he could, but nobody is taking that risk as payment for accepting the ridiculous Harris contract.

It's possible that the Hawks have soured on Collins, I haven't read enough insider material from the Hawks to really know, but if that's true you have to think about why that might be when he has such good offensive chemistry with Trae. The answers aren't too hard to find: Collins is a really quite poor defender and isn't a particularly good passer. He's a phenomenal play finisher, good rebounder, and shows obvious upside as a shooter which are obviously great things, but next season is a contract season for him. If they're trying to move on from him, it's so that they don't have to pay him the money that his raw box score numbers will likely demand, and that's a consideration you have to have as well: if you accept John Collins, you have to do it on the reality that you're going to have to pay him $20m+ next year - is that something you're willing to do, given his limitations? Maybe, but it's far from a given.

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Zion View Post
    Darius is just that good. He can play for the Hawks and Sixers at the same time.

It can't happen though. I shipped Miller to the Bulls with Lonzo and NWA, with Jrue going to the Warriors and Wiggins moving to the Wizards. The Pelicans end up with Beal, LaVine, the Warriors' 2nd overall pick and the Bulls' #4 pick and the Pels take Hayes and Okongwu with the picks.
    How did you change your username and what was it previously?

Thread Information