Pelicans Report

Thread: Chris Paul . I'm okay with bringing him back

NBA Chris Paul . I'm okay with bringing him back

Old tweet but if there is still interest I say we bring him back

I found a trade that works. I think JJ wants to be traded

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=r5jsv8o

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Why would JJ want to be traded when he was the most excited for us to hire SVG? Just that much of a team player, he is?
    Last edited by Eman5805; 11-12-2020 at 10:43 AM.

While I like Chris Paul as a player, I say no at this point in time (to 13-3’s proposal). We have to evaluate the team under Stan before we rush into any trades like this (maybe a deadline deal if he looks like a missing piece). I don’t like that massive player option on Paul though it must be said.

The Franchise
    Plus it was said CP wants to play with Jrue. You could make it work with Lonzo, Nico, NAW and Miller. Maybe send JJ somewhere else like the Warriors in their trade exception but its worth trying to keep him if possible. NAW gets to play with his cousin SGA plus all deals come off the books in a year beside NAW. It'd be nice if we could sign and trade Moore or Favors to a third team but if we got CP3 I'm sure most would be resigned using bird rights.

It would be a really fun year, but please don't trade anything of value for CP3. We're one year removed from viewing him as a (very) negative asset. I'm fine with sending out Lonzo and whatever it takes to match salary, but that's about it.

We're looking for sustained success, not 2 fun years.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    It would be a really fun year, but please don't trade anything of value for CP3. We're one year removed from viewing him as a (very) negative asset.
    He would be an expiring and not a negative asset at all. Quite the opposite in the last year of his contract

CP3
    JJ
    BI
    Zion
    ???
    Profit... I mean playoffs
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

It would be a really fun year, but please don't trade anything of value for CP3. We're one year removed from viewing him as a (very) negative asset. I'm fine with sending out Lonzo and whatever it takes to match salary, but that's about it.

We're looking for sustained success, not 2 fun years.
    I agree that we shouldn’t send anything of real value, but I would be fine with it if we poo’d the bed and couldn’t get any assets for Jrue and use this as a backup plan at the deadline. His player option is the main thing turning me off here though.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    He would be an expiring and not a negative asset at all. Quite the opposite in the last year of his contract
    He has a PO for 44 million next year. His injury history goes without saying. Not to mention he's on the wrong side of 35. That's absolutely a negative asset unless he repeats last season, which is highly unlikely IMO. I expect regression in health, and it could be extreme given how many minutes he played last season and now with a very short off-season.

I love me some CP and that would all but guarantee us a spot in the playoffs if he plays 60 games, but lets not pretend like this is the absolute best move for our franchise.

He has a PO for 44 million next year. His injury history goes without saying. Not to mention he's on the wrong side of 35. That's absolutely a negative asset unless he repeats last season, which is highly unlikely IMO. I expect regression in health, and it could be extreme given how many minutes he played last season and now with a very short off-season.

I love me some CP and that would all but guarantee us a spot in the playoffs if he plays 60 games, but lets not pretend like this is the absolute best move for our franchise.
    Multiple teams want CP. After what he showed last season and staying healthy, he's not a negative asset at all. Plus nothing you just said takes away from the fact that an expiring contract has a lot of value

Multiple teams want CP. After what he showed last season and staying healthy, he's not a negative asset at all. Plus nothing you just said takes away from the fact that an expiring contract has a lot of value
    He's not a negative asset right now, and that's my point. You're trading for a 35 year old making 45 mil at his peak value. We can't let the fact that its CP3 cloud our judgement. There's a reason that OKC is willing to trade him coming off of that season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Why would JJ want to be traded when he was the most excited for us to hire SVG? Just that much of a team player, he is?
    Still movable. Very good trade bait

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/10/...-to-milwaukee/

If moving him brings us closer to getting CP3 I’m in.

He's not a negative asset right now, and that's my point. You're trading for a 35 year old making 45 mil at his peak value. We can't let the fact that its CP3 cloud our judgement. There's a reason that OKC is willing to trade him coming off of that season.
    OKC are in asset gathering mode. If they were contending he wouldn't be on the table

OKC are in asset gathering mode. If they were contending he wouldn't be on the table
    Possibly trying to bring Harden and Westbrook back?

I hope not.

Fortunately it seems that the team is trying to gather assets which I believe is the right move at this point in time.

Thread Information