Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pels Hire Stan Van Gundy

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    Astute observation by SVG regarding Lonzo, glad he has been paying attention. I am not super familiar with him but if he places a huge emphasis on defense I will be very happy.
    SVG has been a HC for a grand total of 12 NBA seasons. In those seasons, his team has been top 15 in DRTG 11 times.

Led the league once, been top five in DRTG 4 times. 6th another 2 times.

Obviously this team isn't the same as those past teams, the league is different to his time in Miami and Orlando where most of those times came, take it all with a grain of salt. But in the past, SVG has been able to field good defensive teams the vast majority of the time.
    Basketball.

Reminder of the Stan Van Handles

He brings in his brother as assistant? Probably not! A good hire!

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Kendrick Perkins wanted us to hire Marc Jackson or Jason Kidd...I feel better about the hire now.
    He just saying what his boss is telling him to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Reminder of the Stan Van Handles
    Plot Twist - It's Kyrie Irving in makeup again

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    He brings in his brother as assistant? Probably not! A good hire!
    Yeah very very probably not.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    He is probably going to be a really good fit. Gentry is a players coach. SVG is gonna be on their asses to make them play more disciplined basketball. Now, is SVG going to want to keep Jrue and Reddick? I bet there won?t be a trade unless we get a great offer before the deadline. Improve defense and have less turnovers and suddenly we are at least a playoff team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    He is probably going to be a really good fit. Gentry is a players coach. SVG is gonna be on their asses to make them play more disciplined basketball. Now, is SVG going to want to keep Jrue and Reddick? I bet there won?t be a trade unless we get a great offer before the deadline. Improve defense and have less turnovers and suddenly we are at least a playoff team.

At least a playoff team? Are you aware how competitive the West is?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I?m aware that we have enough talent to be a playoff team. We have ZION. Our defense and our turnovers have been a problem. I believe SVG will improve the defense by getting the right players and coaching them to play DEFENSE.

Our teams FG% will be very high with Zion and Ingram. Improve the defense and feed Zion and BI and cut down turnovers just a little bit and we win at least 20 more games.

In fairness, the problem there is less with the playoffs part, and more the 'least' part. Depends on a few factors but I don't think a playoff ceiling is unrealistic at all next year, assuming those factors pan out at least reasonably well.

Just hold on a little longer. The full staff will be quite impressive. Hopefully all announced this week
    @mcnamara247

Dwight and Gilbert on when they were coached by SVG. Starts at around the 7:15 mark. Very interesting.

Last edited by luckyman; 10-21-2020 at 06:05 PM.

Two of the biggest loose cannons in the NBA. Shocker that they did not like discipline.

Why haven't we signed anyone, yet@!!
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Like most are saying, I'm not excited about it but I like it. Safe pick.

My based take of the week: coaches in the NBA are overrated. This is now a player centric league. The system champions like Popovich and the Spurs are a dying breed and it's all about who has the star players that are firing on all cylinders. Even GS's success was more on the players being elite as opposed to Kerr being an amazing coach. The strategy is more about stacking talent and then finding a coach who more just lightly steers the talent and doesn't get in the way. I think we have that talent...or at least will in a few years....and SVG can be that coach. So ok. I'm cool with it. Our title chances hinge more on developing or bringing in star players than it did on landing some super amazing strategist coach.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Like most are saying, I'm not excited about it but I like it. Safe pick.

My based take of the week: coaches in the NBA are overrated. This is now a player centric league. The system champions like Popovich and the Spurs are a dying breed and it's all about who has the star players that are firing on all cylinders. Even GS's success was more on the players being elite as opposed to Kerr being an amazing coach. The strategy is more about stacking talent and then finding a coach who more just lightly steers the talent and doesn't get in the way. I think we have that talent...or at least will in a few years....and SVG can be that coach. So ok. I'm cool with it. Our title chances hinge more on developing or bringing in star players than it did on landing some super amazing strategist coach.
    Why didn't Griffin just hire the cheapest figurehead he could find then

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Dwight and Gilbert on when they were coached by SVG. Starts at around the 7:15 mark. Very interesting.

Based on this he kinda sounds like the perfect coach for atleast a few years. These guys definitely need discipline.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

If Dwight and Gil don't like him, his stock just went up even more in my eyes. Both HUUUUGE clowns.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Just hold on a little longer. The full staff will be quite impressive. Hopefully all announced this week
    I don't need details...but is one of the hopeful staffers someone people have brought up at HC material?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I don't need details...but is one of the hopeful staffers someone people have brought up at HC material?
    Feels like that's what Mike was implying

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    If Dwight and Gil don't like him, his stock just went up even more in my eyes. Both HUUUUGE clowns.
    They didnt say they don't like him. They said he was an excellent Xs and Os coach, but treated a veteran NBA roster like a college roster.

But they both said he's good for a young team like ours.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I hope it’s Will Weaver and Dan Craig to name a few. Weaver is about as good a hire as you could want for an assistant. Craig is probably going to be a head coach soon and is excellent at player development.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Why didn't Griffin just hire the cheapest figurehead he could find then
    simple answer for a simple question: because coaching STILL MATTERS - it just doesn't determine championships. Elite players do. You still need to have good coaching just to level the playing field so you're not at a disadvantage. We were at a disadvantage with Gentry. SVG can come in here and stress defense, discipline, and fundamentals. He can get us to stop shooting ourselves in the foot. But he'll still need elite talent to be a championship contender. That's a given.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...leans-pelicans

Quotes from Stan Van Gundy in here:

"I always knew that I had a desire to coach [again] if the situation was right," Van Gundy said. "I wasn't trying to get my name in on every job. I wasn't calling my agent about every job. This one was one that I thought was a good fit on both sides, so I was very interested in it. I loved broadcasting. I was having a great time with it. A lot of people were helping me learn and try to get better, and I would have been fine and very, very happy if I had done that for the rest of my working life. But I guess deep down, I'm always a coach. When the right situation came, I was happy to be involved in it."
    On Zion:

"He's unique. That combination of size, quickness and explosive power, it really hasn't come along. People were trying to make the comparison to LeBron or to Charles Barkley, and that's probably as close as you'll get. But he's unique. He's not really those guys. LeBron's always been a primary ball-handler, point guard, point forward, whatever you want to call him. Barkley was maybe a closer analogy to Zion. What everybody notices is the big body and the great leaping ability, but he's also got an incredible first step offensively and plays the game very unselfishly. He makes quick decisions, the ball leaves his hand quickly, so other guys can enjoy playing with him. He's not a ball-stopper."
    On the Roster, being pleased about not being POBO, meeting with players:

Next up for Van Gundy will be working with the Pelicans front office on filling out his staff (he said he's "ecstatic" that someone else is in charge of making roster decisions this time, so he can focus on coaching) sometime between now and that uncertain date in the future when next season will begin. He's also begun calling his new players, including Williamson, and making plans to meet with them in person in the coming weeks.

Thread Information