Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Pels Hire Stan Van Gundy

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    No because I believe the window for deep playoff success for us will open in 2-5 years if ever. By then they'll be old.
    JJ, maybe. But in that window you are talking about Jrue will have about as many miles on his tires as Warriors Iggy

Even if its not Jrue, if we want to compete in 2, 3, 4 years we will need a guy that age who does all the intangible things

The argument for trading Jrue isn't the "timeline" IMO. The best argument is that we need Ingram and Zion to be gobbling up all the usage possible right now to get the reps for 3 years from now. When you have Jrue on the team, you are gonna give him 15-20 possessions a game to create offense that should be going to Zion and Ingram.

Get lower usage guys around them who finish plays and have them create the vast majority of the offense these next few years. Even if it leads to mistakes. They will grow from that.

THAT is the proper argument for why you trade Jrue now
    @mcnamara247

Nice message from Ian Eagle.

That is one big shame about us hiring SVG: Him and Eagle were probably the best commentary duo out at the moment. Every game they did made Mark Jackson and JVG feel even worse by comparison
    Basketball.

Brandon Ingram will be handling more half court duties and you can book it now. The kid is incredible at setting up for other people and given the chance could easily average 6-8 apg. I have heard Stan and Jeff both talk about BIs talents and what he can do so I?m confident we will get even more out of him this season. Especially with a full off-season to work on his game while having a somewhat practice season in between to get his body ready.

Zion Williamson will also be another I expect to see getting the ball more and using the Lebron pass where I either over power you or help comes and I kick it out. This is an area Zion needs to improve on and imo it?s mostly his handles where I think he will be fine with another year of working at it. Then you throw in guys like Jrue and Lonzo as well that are perfectly capable of playing like this as well. It?s not as if they just can?t do this but it?s not a strength of theirs.

Honesty when you break down Stan Van Gundys career he has had a great one. He’s just missing a Championship like 99% of the very good coaches waiting to be great. He had 1 Super Star “Dwight” and a bunch of very good role players to then have to face the Black Mamba.. NOT Stans fault!!

After Pat Riley abruptly retiring in Miami after a 25 wins season Stan Van Gundy was promoted from assistant coach to Head Coach. Pat Riley originally wanted to hire Jeff Van Gundy but the Knicks denied him and he said “I wanted a Van Gundy with him.” Not only did they improve wins going from 25 to 42 wins but also made it to a 2nd round in the playoffs behind Star Rookie DWayne Wade. That off-season Shaq demanded a trade from the Lakers and there it was he was a member of the Heat. Stan as the Eastern All-Star Coach won 59 games that year. They went to the Easten Conference Finals and all the way to game 7 ultimately losing to a dominant Detroit Pistons. Also Dwayne Wade hurting his ribs badly in game 5 and not being able to play game 6 wiling himself to play in game 7 probably didn’t help Stan much. Ultimately Pat Riley saw his chance again at coaching a great team again to help him win a championship and that’s just what they did.

Stan was hired by the Orlando Magic in 2007. In his first season the Magic Stan won 52 games earning their first Division Championship since 1995! From a dumpster fire to 52 win team and a 3rd place in the East. Ultimately they lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs while still exceeding a lot in year 1. In 2008 year two they won an amazing 59 games and a 2nd straight Division Championship. They went on a very rough playoff run. First they beat Philly which isn’t the biggest challenge. Next was a tough won against the Celtics who were the #2 seed which came down to an epic game 7. Then for the final showdown after beating the Celtics it was against King James the #1 seed Cavaliers. Stan Van Gundy and his Magic took them down in game 6 and went on to the the NBA Finals! From their they faced a great Lakers team. Stan now had run into the Black Mamba. Not much you can do there. I believe he has a championship today had he not been screwed at 2 jobs and maybe even gets one with the right fit one day.. Stan was hired by the Orlando Magic in 2007. In his first season the Magic Stan won 52 games earning their first Division Championship since 1995! From a dumpster fire to 52 win team and a 3rd place in the East. Ultimately they lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs while still exceeding a lot in year 1. In 2008 year two they won an amazing 59 games putting them only behind 2 super teams in the Heat and Celtics and 2nd straight division championship. They went on a very rough playoff run. First the best Philly which isn’t the biggest challenge. Next was a tough won against the Celtics who were the 2 seed in a epic 7 game series. Then for the final showdown against King James they tore his #1 seed Cavaliers apart and went to the Finals. From their Stan faced a great Lakers team. Had Stan now run into the Black Mamba I believe he has a championship today not to mention other jobs. He then went on to have a 52 and 37 game win season and then Stan relinquished his duties in 2010.

Detroit was an absolute disaster although he did win 44 games and a playoff birth in year 2. It is never a good idea to take full control of full operations which nearly always turning out into a disaster. I really think this job had nothing to do with his coaching but all the other bs he had to deal with while also making the right picks instead of just giving an opinion and whatever else comes along probably isn’t the fairytale it sounds like.

With his new job here being surrounded by the best who believe in him with arguably one of the best rosters for his system is going to be fun. Sometimes I think time off for coaches like him to watch others and get insider information they never saw before really helps. I’m sure he has lots more to incorporate towards today’s NBA had he never stopped. Can’t wait to see him get started as a coach and let everyone in place do their job. GO PELS!!
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 10-31-2020 at 04:20 AM.

First assistant name drops

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

First assistant name drops
    Pelicanidae - Can You say something more about Bob Beyer ? He is a long time assistant in NBA ,but what is his strengths ?

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    Pelicanidae - Can You say something more about Bob Beyer ? He is a long time assistant in NBA ,but what is his strengths ?
    I wouldn't feel particularly comfortable saying, honestly. The only thing I really know about him is that he was in charge of running film sessions in Detroit (iirc).

Maybe someone else can chime in with some serious information?

I wouldn't feel particularly comfortable saying, honestly. The only thing I really know about him is that he was in charge of running film sessions in Detroit (iirc).

Maybe someone else can chime in with some serious information?
    He was credited for helping young players in Sac town perform better defensively. That's all I got.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

From reading up on SVG's history, it sounds like Beyer has been his right hand man for most of his head coaching tenure. There was a quote I read somewhere where SVG said something along the lines of Beyer "can communicate exactly what I want to the players even better than I can" and that's why he ran most of the film sessions under SVG. If you're a Saints fan, think of him as how Vitt was to Payton....only Beyer actually gets good results, too.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by thiefinthenight View Post

Great news!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Gonna be interesting to see who the other members of the staff will be.

Let's get Trump

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Let's get Trump
    Nah, He is a loser!

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Nah, He is a loser!

Fingers crossed for Charles Lee and Will Weaver

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I imagine the last assistants have either been hired or are about to be, no? OKC has their HC, from internal. Wasting everyone's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I imagine the last assistants have either been hired or are about to be, no? OKC has their HC, from internal. Wasting everyone's time.
    Has to be announced soon, the draft is so close at this point.

Side note, I doubt it'll be Weaver: from what I can tell he's solid in Aus right now.

Has to be announced soon, the draft is so close at this point.

Side note, I doubt it'll be Weaver: from what I can tell he's solid in Aus right now.
    Wasn't there a report that he was quarantining in OKC a few days before their announcement?

Just saw a report that, Vet Corey Brewer is joining the staff in Player development

Thread Information