Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Which Path Do You Choose?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll

6 18.75%

12 37.50%

5 15.63%

9 28.13%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Jrue, JJ, and the Overall Path

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What do you think the likelihood of them bringing back Favors is?
    Depends on Favors. They would want to give him a fake 1 plus 1 and he would probably get more money here but he could prefer to go somewhere else where he has a better chance to win and won't have to worry all year about being traded.

I think the guy has made enough money and he will opt for a better situation so I'd say 20 percent chance he will be back but 100 percent chance we offer him the most money for next season
    @mcnamara247

If we sending JJ and Jrue out, here is a 3 team that would be workable.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	6541

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Depends on Favors. They would want to give him a fake 1 plus 1 and he would probably get more money here but he could prefer to go somewhere else where he has a better chance to win and won't have to worry all year about being traded.

I think the guy has made enough money and he will opt for a better situation so I'd say 20 percent chance he will be back but 100 percent chance we offer him the most money for next season
    So you get the feel that we want him back then? I actually would prefer giving a shot to someone like Noel or if we cannot get him, maybe Len. Favors is 29 but played like 35 towards the end of the season. Maybe it was just nagging injuries.

So you get the feel that we want him back then? I actually would prefer giving a shot to someone like Noel or if we cannot get him, maybe Len. Favors is 29 but played like 35 towards the end of the season. Maybe it was just nagging injuries.
    If we're trying to win next season, what does that mean for Hayes' minutes/development? As of now, he doesn't have a clue how to protect the rim. Nor does he rebound

I also have no clue what realistic, finished product Hayes looks like

We want him back because we can use bird rights on him versus a similar big we would have to use MLE. Not because we like him so much more than others. Its a pure value play

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    If we're trying to win next season, what does that mean for Hayes' minutes/development? As of now, he doesn't have a clue how to protect the rim. Nor does he rebound

I also have no clue what realistic, finished product Hayes looks like
    We were trying to win last year and he got 16 mpg. So, he will get opportunities but if he stinks in a game, he will get pulled.

Realistic, finished Hayes probably looks like 90 percent OKC Serge Ibaka

We were trying to win last year and he got 16 mpg. So, he will get opportunities but if he stinks in a game, he will get pulled.

Realistic, finished Hayes probably looks like 90 percent OKC Serge Ibaka
    That in the Pels system, or a program more willing to ride his mistakes?

Hayes development trajectory is one of the more fascinating stories in the immediate future
    Last edited by AusPel; 10-26-2020 at 11:28 AM.

When I look at all the ways Hayes can play out, I see far more scenarios where he is a disappointment than he is a long time starter/core piece.

If I were Griff, my top priority would be to get a very smart veteran half court playmaker in that second unit this year or next. A guy who could teach Hayes how to set good angles with his screens and roll with proper timing. Get him easy lobs 2-3 times a game and also coach him on how a guard/big should play the pick and roll.

Tyson Chandler had one foot out the league when we got him and CP3 gave him a world of confidence and knowledge and it changed his career. He doesnt really fit with Lonzo, but a guy like Rubio comes to mind as someone who could do that for Hayes. Honestly, Rondo could too.

Hayes will be as good as the guards and playmakers on this team are, offensively. And defensively, it will come down to our lead assistant (hoping for Charles Lee, personally) and other smart vets to teach him - both vet guards and vet bigs

When I look at all the ways Hayes can play out, I see far more scenarios where he is a disappointment than he is a long time starter/core piece.

If I were Griff, my top priority would be to get a very smart veteran half court playmaker in that second unit this year or next. A guy who could teach Hayes how to set good angles with his screens and roll with proper timing. Get him easy lobs 2-3 times a game and also coach him on how a guard/big should play the pick and roll.

Tyson Chandler had one foot out the league when we got him and CP3 gave him a world of confidence and knowledge and it changed his career. He doesnt really fit with Lonzo, but a guy like Rubio comes to mind as someone who could do that for Hayes. Honestly, Rondo could too.

Hayes will be as good as the guards and playmakers on this team are, offensively. And defensively, it will come down to our lead assistant (hoping for Charles Lee, personally) and other smart vets to teach him - both vet guards and vet bigs
    The Pelicans really need to understand that screens require contact. I can't even remember when the Pelicans consistently set a good screen. Who should they go after if Favors doesn't return? We also need size at the guard and small forward.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    The Pelicans really need to understand that screens require contact. I can't even remember when the Pelicans consistently set a good screen. Who should they go after if Favors doesn't return? We also need size at the guard and small forward.
    I would set my list something like:

MLE Candidates

1. Tristan Thompson (full MLE)
    2. Aron Baynes (6-ish mil per)
    3. Nerlens Noel (5-ish mil per)

BAE Candidates

1. Alex Len
    2. Meyers Leonard
    3. Robin Lopez
    4. Willie Cauley-Stein
    5. Mason Plumlee

Min Candidates

1. Bismack Biyombo
    2. Ian Mahinmi

Seeing who the assistants are will be key. SVG himself has a great track record of getting career best seasons out of bigs. He's also defensive minded. I think that bodes well for Hayes. But yeah, the naming of the assistants will be more telling.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

No mention of keeping Okafor. Are you as down on his potential as most Pels fans? Don’t really get that. Since he got in shape his lateral movement seems much better. He’s certainly as athletic as the Lopez brothers and a much better interior scoring threat. I get he may not work next to Zion unless he can be another big who develops a perimeter jump shot, but absorbing 10-15 minutes a night punishing back ups seems like a smart option. I’d also like to see what Stan Van could do with him.

I say we keep Jrue and JJ. With Zion and Ingram taking a step further Jrue is the perfect compliment to those 2. People forget before this crazy summer Jrue was playing like the best player in the playoffs on both sides of the ball. Every night you can give him the toughest defense assignment with his elite defense while still getting a 17-20ppg 5-7apg 3-5rpg game from him nightly. I don?t understand the want to move someone on a good contract that gives us exactly what we need.

Not only is it move Jrue but it?s JJ who was arguably our best player last season and in the bubble. He is exactly what this team needs as a 3pt threat which you see on every championship team. We not only have one of the best but one that can do more then just a Kyle Korver. We were a young team that was so many close game from winning. The right coach and roster tweaks not overhaul could make us a dangerous team.

What's the latest date we could trade Jrue before he is legally able to opt out?

Trade deadline of this upcoming seas

Trade deadline of this upcoming seas
    Would his trade suitors be looking for a verbal agreement he would opt-in/extend with them?

Otherwise he's most likely a very short term rental. Not exactly the best conditions to get a good return for him

Do you think DJ Augustin would be a MLE or BAE candidate? It would be nice to target Thompson, Noel, or Baynes with the MLE and Augustin with the BAE. I think he would be a good veteran PG to run the second unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Do you think DJ Augustin would be a MLE or BAE candidate? It would be nice to target Thompson, Noel, or Baynes with the MLE and Augustin with the BAE. I think he would be a good veteran PG to run the second unit.
    Would be a great get, but the BAE won't be enough

Augustin will definitely cost most, if not all, the MLE. Same with Dunn, who is my #1 FA target.

You gotta go cheap at 2 of the 3 - guard, forward, or center. One of the 3 if you bring back Favors. You arent getting an Augustin caliber player w/o using the MLE. For BAE you can get a guard like Reggie Jackson or IT3 or maybe a Michael Carter-Williams., Trey Burke, or Cam Payne

Augustin will definitely cost most, if not all, the MLE. Same with Dunn, who is my #1 FA target.

You gotta go cheap at 2 of the 3 - guard, forward, or center. One of the 3 if you bring back Favors. You arent getting an Augustin caliber player w/o using the MLE. For BAE you can get a guard like Reggie Jackson or IT3 or maybe a Michael Carter-Williams., Trey Burke, or Cam Payne
    Has Michael Carter-Williams shown enough to be relied upon as a consistent backup PG? I know he had promise early in his career then has pretty much been a journeyman, but I guess still good enough to stay in the NBA.

I wouldn’t hate keeping Favors. He and Triston Thompson are pretty much the same player at the same age. Baynes’ 3 point shooting stands out in that MLE group. Is Meyers Leonard good enough to be counted on as a consistent rim protector?

Has Michael Carter-Williams shown enough to be relied upon as a consistent backup PG? I know he had promise early in his career then has pretty much been a journeyman, but I guess still good enough to stay in the NBA.
    The raw stats wont say it but last season was by far the best season of his career. He would be a top 10 backup PG, maybe top 5. He is very good defensively and has gotten much better getting into the lane and finishing at the rim or with a solid floater.

I wouldn’t hate keeping Favors. He and Triston Thompson are pretty much the same player at the same age. Baynes’ 3 point shooting stands out in that MLE group. Is Meyers Leonard good enough to be counted on as a consistent rim protector?
    These are all very flawed players. Hence, the reason they are available for BAE or MLE. Rounding out the edges of a roster can help steal a win or two here or there, but the 2020-21 Pelicans will all ride on Zion staying healthy, Ingram continuing to grow, and Lonzo being the guy from Feb and March - not the scrub in the bubble. That and the Jrue trade are what will matter. The rest is just flawed filler

These are all very flawed players. Hence, the reason they are available for BAE or MLE. Rounding out the edges of a roster can help steal a win or two here or there, but the 2020-21 Pelicans will all ride on Zion staying healthy, Ingram continuing to grow, and Lonzo being the guy from Feb and March - not the scrub in the bubble. That and the Jrue trade are what will matter. The rest is just flawed filler
    I still think a solid defensive center can make a difference as we saw when Favors came back from his prolonged absence to start the season. Adding 3 point shooting just opens up the paint more for Zion. So, I think the “filler” players can make a difference on whether this team can make the playoffs or not. Health of course will also be a huge factor.

I still think a solid defensive center can make a difference as we saw when Favors came back from his prolonged absence to start the season. Adding 3 point shooting just opens up the paint more for Zion. So, I think the “filler” players can make a difference on whether this team can make the playoffs or not. Health of course will also be a huge factor.
    Tristan Thompson gives you rim protection, rebounding and he actually was hitting a few threes last season! Obviously won't help spacing like Baynes can on offense.

How bout bring Favors back and use the MLE on Dunn or DJ

OR Baynes with the MLE and MCW with the BAE

Thread Information