Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Which Path Do You Choose?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll

6 18.75%

12 37.50%

5 15.63%

9 28.13%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Jrue, JJ, and the Overall Path

Dunn is listed as a restricted FA, so I don’t think it is a given that the Bulls won’t match a MLE deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I still think a solid defensive center can make a difference as we saw when Favors came back from his prolonged absence to start the season. Adding 3 point shooting just opens up the paint more for Zion. So, I think the “filler” players can make a difference on whether this team can make the playoffs or not. Health of course will also be a huge factor.
    Favors actually didnt make a difference.....the schedule did.

When you look closer at the numbers, you see that the lineup everyone talks about that was plus 20 per 100 possessions, blah blah blah.....they were AMAZING vs awful teams like Chicago, Cleveland, etc and average to below average against good teams. None of those numbers are real - in the sense that they dont project in any real way.

Basically, we would beat a team like Cleveland or Chicago 20-6 to start a first or a third quarter, and because the sample size was so small, it makes the numbers look amazing. But the reality is that Favors and that lineup looked like it was so good because it coincided with the easier part of our schedule.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Favors actually didnt make a difference.....the schedule did.

When you look closer at the numbers, you see that the lineup everyone talks about that was plus 20 per 100 possessions, blah blah blah.....they were AMAZING vs awful teams like Chicago, Cleveland, etc and average to below average against good teams. None of those numbers are real - in the sense that they dont project in any real way.

Basically, we would beat a team like Cleveland or Chicago 20-6 to start a first or a third quarter, and because the sample size was so small, it makes the numbers look amazing. But the reality is that Favors and that lineup looked like it was so good because it coincided with the easier part of our schedule.
    So are you advocating that we can be a successful team without a legitimate rim protector at the 5?

So are you advocating that we can be a successful team without a legitimate rim protector at the 5?
    Look at the final four teams in terms of rim protection

Lakers - AD
    Heat - Bam
    Nuggets - Jokic
    Celtics - Theis

Obviously AD is historically good, Bam and Theis are above average and Jokic is below average

So, realistically, you do need some sort of rim protection to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Look at the final four teams in terms of rim protection

Lakers - AD
    Heat - Bam
    Nuggets - Jokic
    Celtics - Theis

Obviously AD is historically good, Bam and Theis are above average and Jokic is below average

So, realistically, you do need some sort of rim protection to compete.
    I agree 100%. I am just looking for MM’s take, because he appears to be taking the stance that our starting center is a trivial decision. I see Favors, Thompson, Baynes, Noel, Leonard, Myles Turner (via trade), or Jarrett Allen (via trade) all as possible solid, realistic options.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 10-26-2020 at 09:56 PM.

Dunn is listed as a restricted FA, so I don’t think it is a given that the Bulls won’t match a MLE deal.
    Dunn is only restricted if Chicago extend him a QO.

I think then he can either take it, or sign an offer sheet with another club which Chicago can match

I agree 100%. I am just looking for MM’s take, because he appears to be taking the stance that our starting center is a trivial decision. I see Favors, Thompson, Baynes, Noel, Leonard, Myles Turner (via trade), or Jarrett Allen (via trade) all as possible solid, realistic options.
    I gave a ranking of guys. So I obviously have preferences. But it is trivial relative to other things. Like, sure, having Tim Hardaway Jr was probably better for Dallas than having Alec Burks but the real reason they took off was Luka taking a huge leap forward and others playing off of him

I have preferences but I am just saying it is way down the list on what will determine our season

Well it's not trivial. Those inflated numbers should look like that against weaker teams. The issue is when they don't look like that and you end up getting smashed by Golden St.

The two most gaping holes on this team imo is lead guard and around the rim.

Jaxson is your eventual starter, but he's still at least a year or two from being strong enough with his frame.

Not sure I want Favors back. Would like a big with a little more bounce, but also fundamentally sound. I also think Nico can be upgraded unless he somehow improves his own defense and rebound ability.

I'm completely fine with stop gaps at both spots while waiting for Jaxson and Kira Lewis to take over in '23.
    Last edited by luckyman; 10-27-2020 at 09:17 AM.

I wonder if Noel (or maybe Len) could be had for the BAE. I think the BAE would be somewhere around 2 years/$7.5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I wonder if Noel (or maybe Len) could be had for the BAE. I think the BAE would be somewhere around 2 years/$7.5 million.
    Its a little higher than that. I think Len could be had for it but I think Noel either gets more than that or he gets the BAE but with a team more ready to contend and/or in a better market. I think we'd have to go higher than that to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Well it's not trivial. Those inflated numbers should look like that against weaker teams. The issue is when they don't look like that and you end up getting smashed by Golden St.

The two most gaping holes on this team imo is lead guard and around the rim.

Jaxson is your eventual starter, but he's still at least a year or two from being strong enough with his frame.

Not sure I want Favors back. Would like a big with a little more bounce, but also fundamentally sound. I also think Nico can be upgraded unless he somehow improves his own defense and rebound ability.

I'm completely fine with stop gaps at both spots while waiting for Jaxson and Kira Lewis to take over in '23.
    My point is that Pels writers for a certain site always put out those inflated numbers of the starting lineup, insinuating that it was an awesome lineup and this team could win 50 games if they just keep it together and stay healthy. But the lineup is nowhere near as good in reality as those numbers show.

The point of stats is to evaluate, but more than anything, to be predictive about the future. And when you see those stats, you would think that the team would be great with those guys if they stay healthy. But when you dig deeper, you see that what those stats predict is that the Pels would likely blow out the bad teams (of which, there will only be 4-6 of this upcoming year) and they would likely stay even with or be slightly behind decent and good teams. And then, they would lose at the end because we had the 29th best team in 'clutch moments' last year.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    My point is that Pels writers for a certain site always put out those inflated numbers of the starting lineup, insinuating that it was an awesome lineup and this team could win 50 games if they just keep it together and stay healthy. But the lineup is nowhere near as good in reality as those numbers show.
    Something something Dysgraphiac Avian?

Thread Information