Pelicans Report

Thread: Jrue for the #1 pick???

Trade Idea Jrue for the #1 pick???

I saw this idea floating around on a realgm message board and wanted to get your thoughts...

Jrue to Minnesota

#1 pick to N.O.

A 3rd team may have to get involved to add additional players to make salary cap work.

Again, not my idea, just a idea that I thought we might want to discuss.

Griff would have zero interest in that trade unless the #1 pick was going to someone else and we were getting a quality young vet as good as Jrue or very close
    @mcnamara247

Yeah I think the problem people are having, to some extent at least, is that they're viewing the number 1 pick as a really high value commodity. That's because in a lot of years, it is: last year, for example, it was valuable because Zion existed. Next year, it's super valuable, because Cade exists.

There is nobody in this class that deserves traditional number one pick value. Put the idea of it being the number one pick out of your mind. Think of it as like, a number 3 or 4 pick. Then rephrase the question:

Do we trade Jrue for the #4 pick?

Obviously not, the question becomes extremely clear. There would have to be far more going on than just that as the main transaction: MM outlines one possibility, which is the pick going elsewhere while something else comes in to us.
    Basketball.

Add to that, you are getting the value of the number 4 or 5 pick in most drafts, but you have to give the guy a bigger contract than Zion Williamson.

Imagine taking Darius Garland and having to pay him 10 mil this year and 11 mil next year. Thats more than a full MLE player. And nobody in this draft is helping you more this year than the guys you can get for the MLE in this market.

Picks 5-9 are the sweet spot in this draft IMO. Same amount of talent, no pressure that comes with being a #1 or #2 pick being put on the player, and you get them for half the price

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Who can help the pelicans the most on this draft. I think we need a defensive stopper like a 3 and D guy. Or a big man like Okongwu.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okafor and Favors should not be on this team next year. I want a young guy who rebounds and plays excellent defense to compete with Hayes at Center.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Who can help the pelicans the most on this draft. I think we need a defensive stopper like a 3 and D guy. Or a big man like Okongwu.....

Whoever we draft is not going to be in the rotation next year

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Add to that, you are getting the value of the number 4 or 5 pick in most drafts, but you have to give the guy a bigger contract than Zion Williamson.

Imagine taking Darius Garland and having to pay him 10 mil this year and 11 mil next year. Thats more than a full MLE player. And nobody in this draft is helping you more this year than the guys you can get for the MLE in this market.

Picks 5-9 are the sweet spot in this draft IMO. Same amount of talent, no pressure that comes with being a #1 or #2 pick being put on the player, and you get them for half the price
    I agree. Would absolutely hate to be picking top 3 this year: much rather pick anywhere from 5 to 15 to be quite honest. That's why #13 was totally cool with me.

In an ideal world, I'd love to get up to 9. I get to have my first choice before all the Western Conference fringe teams that I will be competing with for these next few years to slide into the back half of the playoffs. Nothing would anger me more than if I loved a guy and had him a tier above any others and then SA or PHX got him. I want to be at 9 this year

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    In an ideal world, I'd love to get up to 9. I get to have my first choice before all the Western Conference fringe teams that I will be competing with for these next few years to slide into the back half of the playoffs. Nothing would anger me more than if I loved a guy and had him a tier above any others and then SA or PHX got him. I want to be at 9 this year
    Who would you hope to get at the 9th pick or the 13th pick?

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Who would you hope to get at the 9th pick or the 13th pick?

Vassel for me, followed by Patrick Williams

Thread Information