Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I mean, where's the confirmation Kenny is in the top 4? I haven't seen it mentioned.
    I was speculating on Kenny should have phrased it differently. If what MM said about Becky is true I would think the same would apply to Will Weaver.

Can someone point me to where Windhorst said Will Weaver and Jamahl Mosley are in the final 4? Have not been able to locate an actual source for this.

Edit: Just to clarify, Windhorst did say Jamahl Mosley, I forgot about that. Just rewatched the clip and he does say it. Still, Weaver?
    Windhorst never said thats the final four (and spoiler alert...its not)

He listed those guys as darkhorses and they have been part of the 9. But those arent the final 4. Weaver is likely to get offered the lead assistant role, depending on who gets the HC position. Lue will likely have his own guy, but if its SVG I think it will be Weaver, with Bob Beyer possibly being the other head assistant.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Windhorst never said thats the final four (and spoiler alert...its not)

He listed those guys as darkhorses and they have been part of the 9. But those arent the final 4. Weaver is likely to get offered the lead assistant role, depending on who gets the HC position. Lue will likely have his own guy, but if its SVG I think it will be Weaver, with Bob Beyer possibly being the other head assistant.
    I wish people would stop making definitive claims without any kind of source or evidence. Not talking about you here, just all the people who have decided that they know who's on the list for sure when in reality they're just guessing or they're taking stuff out of context.
    Basketball.

I wish people would stop making definitive claims without any kind of source or evidence. Not talking about you here, just all the people who have decided that they know who's on the list for sure when in reality they're just guessing or they're taking stuff out of context.
    That is the internet, and why I created a separate board for only elite people - who dont do that kind of stuff.

I disagree strongly with the idea that "Everyone deserves a voice"....it leads to confusion and misinformation. If only the most educated people on subjects got to speak, oh what a more wonderful world that would be.

That is the internet, and why I created a separate board for only elite people - who dont do that kind of stuff.

I disagree strongly with the idea that "Everyone deserves a voice"....it leads to confusion and misinformation. If only the most educated people on subjects got to speak, oh what a more wonderful world that would be.
    But then nobody would ever hear from you. How would your ego survive?

But then nobody would ever hear from you. How would your ego survive?
    If you ever met me, you would know the personality I pretend to have on here is nothing like who I am in real life. If I really did have this ego that people who have never met me swear I have, then I would never have stepped down from the platforms I had and turned down the opportunities I did. Be careful about thinking you know someone you never met. I promise you dont know anything about the real me

If you ever met me, you would know the personality I pretend to have on here is nothing like who I am in real life. If I really did have this ego that people who have never met me swear I have, then I would never have stepped down from the platforms I had and turned down the opportunities I did. Be careful about thinking you know someone you never met. I promise you dont know anything about the real me
    I don't believe in essential human essences. You can be many people at once: I'm comfortable with the idea that you're different in physical world. This may well be the case, and it's certainly not anything I can judge since I don't know you outside of the online Pelicans community.

That said, people can only make judgments based on the information they're provided. You act in a given way on here, and that's your choice. It's a choice you're entitled to make.

The consequence of that, however, is that people on here will judge the person you choose to present yourself as, based on the information you decide to give them. If you have problems with that, that's nobody's fault but your own. Want to be perceived differently? Then act differently. Otherwise people will build an image of you based on the information you give them, and they are not wrong for doing so. That's the same on a forum, on Twitter, in a workplace, in a household, etc.

I dont have a problem with it. I actually quite enjoy it. I was just telling you that you were wrong about my ego being the #1 driver of why I discuss and give info about this team. Thought you would like to know you are misinformed. I am totally fine with the way I am viewed, and actually quite prefer it. When I used to be my normal self, people never stopped bothering me with questions. It was endless and exhausting. So, trust me, I dont that opinion to change

I dont have a problem with it. I actually quite enjoy it. I was just telling you that you were wrong about my ego being the #1 driver of why I discuss and give info about this team. Thought you would like to know you are misinformed. I am totally fine with the way I am viewed, and actually quite prefer it. When I used to be my normal self, people never stopped bothering me with questions. It was endless and exhausting. So, trust me, I dont that opinion to change
    That's fine. This one time only, allow me to clarify that when I send jabs at you, I'm speaking only about your constructed online persona, who you acknowledge here is at least something of a jerk. I'm sure you're charming in real life.

He is not going to take a huge risk on potentially the biggest hire of his life

Fans have the luxury about speculating about what a person COULD BE. The 5% chance that this unproven guy or that unproven girl could be the next Nick Nurse. For Griff, this isnt a fun game. This is his livlihood. He gets this coaching choice right, he likely gets new, multi million dollar contracts with the Pelicans. Gets it wrong, he is probably fired and is gonna have a hard time getting another GM job after blowing a chance with a young superstar (see: Dell Demps)

Its not because Becky was a woman, its because of her overall resume and Griff wouldnt have considered any man with the same resume. He is not betting his career on a hope and a prayer
    Makes perfect sense and I totally agree with that.

I would think that marketing considerations will be made when making a coaching decision? Sorry, but SVG and a few others are just total retreads in my eyes...and I'm a total retread myself. I get wins and loses puts people in seats, but the next coach needs to be young/younger and get people interested in the Pels BEFORE the Saints season is over. I am curious to see/hear how ticket and corporate renewals are going. I can't imagine good at all.

That's why I'll die on the Becky Hammon Hill. Whoever hires her will at least reap the benefits for a couple of years. Nothing guaranteed with Zion or Ingram or the future in general. The players seem to like her because she is good at what she does. Plus, she's been a winner everywhere she has gone.

I'm sure there are young assistants out there as well with a lot of moxy, but I don't(can't) follow the game as much as most of you do. I'll follow the Pels wherever I am, but i would just like to see more interest from the public in general.

But what do I know?
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

So, any coach who has done the job before....BORING! RE-TREAD!!

Who here has ever run a business? And if you have, how readily did you hand over the reigns to your livelihood to someone who never did that job before?

I can't wrap my head around this idea that fans of sports teams have that the unknown is so exciting and filled with promise. Its the opposite in literally every other walk of life

You get on an airplane and find out the pilot has flown 1000 flights, you are happy. Find out its this person's 1st flight after assisting on some other flights and you are shaking in your boots. Why is sports unique in that people overwhelming prefer the unknown and inexperienced??

So, any coach who has done the job before....BORING! RE-TREAD!!

Who here has ever run a business? And if you have, how readily did you hand over the reigns to your livelihood to someone who never did that job before?

I can't wrap my head around this idea that fans of sports teams have that the unknown is so exciting and filled with promise. Its the opposite in literally every other walk of life

You get on an airplane and find out the pilot has flown 1000 flights, you are happy. Find out its this person's 1st flight after assisting on some other flights and you are shaking in your boots. Why is sports unique in that people overwhelming prefer the unknown and inexperienced??
    You know that professional sports are about the farthest thing from normal businesses. What normal business pays 20 somethings 10's of millions of dollars with minimal experience? The problem with re treads are they usually have been given multiple chances and have underperformed. That doesn't count situations like Mike Malone, Billy Donovan, or even Ty Lue were they've had success and parted ways with their respective teams.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    You know that professional sports are about the farthest thing from normal businesses. What normal business pays 20 somethings 10's of millions of dollars with minimal experience? The problem with re treads are they usually have been given multiple chances and have underperformed. That doesn't count situations like Mike Malone, Billy Donovan, or even Ty Lue were they've had success and parted ways with their respective teams.
    Homework assignment -- go back and find the last 15 "re-treads" hired and the last 15 "young, hot assistants" and then let me know their records.

You wont believe how wide the gap is

A former member on this forum. David Fisher has done a great job keeping us informed.

16 Playoff Teams Last Year:

NINE coaches were "re-treads"

FIVE came via the assistant route (1 internally, 4 from other teams)

TWO came via college route
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 10-13-2020 at 10:14 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If the candidates are leaking after weeks and weeks of radio silence, fair to say Griff must be reaching a decision very soon, no?

He has already reached a decision -- Lue. Just needs Lue to either say yes or no and then he can go from there

He has already reached a decision -- Lue. Just needs Lue to either say yes or no and then he can go from there
    I’m guessing Griff has met with Lue? Everything that I’ve read says lue will be interviewing this week. Then again Lue already worked for Griff so maybe a zoom call would do it.

Please no to Lue. I would rather listen to Tucker Carlson and Rachel Maddow give their reviews of each others most recent books than see Lue pace the sideline.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 10-13-2020 at 11:09 PM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

You would think Houston would be more appealing

https://www.si.com/nba/clippers/news...ckets-momentum

I cant imagine many people finding Houston more appealing than NOLA, but sure Lue might be one of those rare people

That Houston job is the worst one available IMO. By a WIDE margin

I cant imagine many people finding Houston more appealing than NOLA, but sure Lue might be one of those rare people

That Houston job is the worst one available IMO. By a WIDE margin
    So appealing Anthony Davis quit on us got his ring somewhere else, J.J. Open to trade etc etc. We can only hope ownership has really changed.

Thread Information