Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Updates

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Exactly. As I tried to educate people in another thread that 13-3 deleated...the head coaches job isn't to develop. To work with the young guys and help develop skills. Literally none of them do that as their primary focus.

Yet its funny to me that fans assign development of young players (or lack of) to the head coach. I mean, look at the Pelicans history. Was it Monty developing AD or was it Hanlen? And who helped Tyrese jumper? Ingram?

I can go on and on and our fans should know this by now as they act like Fred Vinson is God's gift to shooting development.
    Sounds like you are defending Alvin Gentry.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I love your idea of stockpiling assets until the real prize becomes available
    Which is? You got to be careful what you stockpile
    for. This backfired for teams like Knicks, Clippers and Sixers. Don’t spend it all in one place.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 10-14-2020 at 03:21 PM.

If we hire Kidd will anyone else be out on the team? If so, what team will you follow? I’m leaning more towards the Heat or the Jazz, but I am undecided until he is hired.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If we hire Kidd will anyone else be out on the team? If so, what team will you follow? I’m leaning more towards the Heat or the Jazz, but I am undecided until he is hired.
    We might be moving again if the mayor bans people at NBA games too.

Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If we hire Kidd will anyone else be out on the team? If so, what team will you follow? I?m leaning more towards the Heat or the Jazz, but I am undecided until he is hired.
    To answer the hypothetical, Nuggets. Jokic is fun.

But luckily we have good reason to suspect KIdd is out

Shams just reported Kidd is not a part of the process

Like, I said, weeks ago we were told that Kidd and Becky had zero chance. I never worried about him for a second after that. This wasnt just a random source. Almost as high as you can go. Kidd never had a shot. This was like early Sept
    @mcnamara247

Don’t know if this puts us closer to Lue?

Not sure. On one hand there's the obvious ''do you want to be the HC of a franchise clearly in a moment of flux, or do you want to come to a franchise that's got the FO in place, got an ethos in place, has future options open''?

Houston has a hideous cap situation. Their owner is notoriously cheap. Their two best players are both on monstrously huge contracts, both on the wrong side of thirty, and one of those two players is actively harmful on court most of the time. Now they don't even have a GM.

Those are all potential turn-offs, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Don’t know if this puts us closer to Lue?

I wonder if Tillman got tired of seeing his unkept mug running around downtown Houston lookin like a damn hobo.

off topic question. how do you embed a tweet into a post here?

Ty lue 5 year deal with clips
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by ozwego15 View Post
    off topic question. how do you embed a tweet into a post here?
    Get the embed code from the tween and paste it in here. Open the tween and there's a small arrow to the top/right. Click that arrow and you'll get the "embed tweet" option.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    Nice hire.

Silas to Houston?

Do we REALLY like Van Gundy or are we just happy it's not looking like Kidd?

It's like, I'm slightly excited.....but also kinda underwhelmed.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

Upset because Pelicans sat on their hands and let coaches get scouped up in hurry with us getting left table scraps?

I mean... It is what it is. Only Pelicans fans thinks this team is attractive landing spot when it's really a complete mess and needs a lot if work.
    Last edited by Taker597; 10-17-2020 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

I like Van Gundy. He's a good coach who has run good teams in the past, and has shown himself to be at least sometimes willing to innovate (see his Orlando teams).

He might not be the most thrilling prospect in the world, I get that, and maybe I still would have taken a swing on a riskier prospect but then, it's not my job on the line if that fails so I have the luxury of bravery here.

Is SVG maybe a bit of a safe option? Sure. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's an awful one.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Upset because Pelicans sat on their hands and let coaches get scouped up in hurry with us getting left table scraps?

I mean... It is what it is. Only Pelicans fans thinks this team is attractive landing spot when it's really a complete mess and needs a lot if work.
    Careful. Some will call you a troll for giving an honest thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post

Who did we miss out on? The Philly job and LAC job are simply more appealing right now to those specific coaches and Griff went after both of them. Missing out in nobody else he wanted in the process. He wanted Lue. A job with a team that could win the next few titles and the richest owner in the league opened up. And Griff now has his pick of anyone else he wants, and has interviewed all the top assistants and former HC's and will make his decision.

So, what would you have done differently?

This may have already been answered, but is there any news on our current assistants? I know Finch seems to be in the running for the Indiana job, but what about Vinson? Really hoping we keep some of them around.

Thread Information