Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Coaching Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    This may have already been answered, but is there any news on our current assistants? I know Finch seems to be in the running for the Indiana job, but what about Vinson? Really hoping we keep some of them around.
    If I recall correctly, when Griff gave his speech shortly after Gentry was let go, he said that the plan was to retain certain members of the staff. I imagine that includes Vinson, if possible.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Who did we miss out on? The Philly job and LAC job are simply more appealing right now to those specific coaches and Griff went after both of them. Missing out in nobody else he wanted in the process. He wanted Lue. A job with a team that could win the next few titles and the richest owner in the league opened up. And Griff now has his pick of anyone else he wants, and has interviewed all the top assistants and former HC's and will make his decision.

So, what would you have done differently?
    Agree to the point we really did not need Lue or Silas

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If I recall correctly, when Griff gave his speech shortly after Gentry was let go, he said that the plan was to retain certain members of the staff. I imagine that includes Vinson, if possible.
    New HC may want to bring in his own people too.

Vinson, Weatherspoon, and McMillan almost certainly. Finch was gonna be gone no matter what in all likelihood and Bzdelik is 50/50 depending on the coach hired.
    @mcnamara247

Vinson, Weatherspoon, and McMillan almost certainly. Finch was gonna be gone no matter what in all likelihood and Bzdelik is 50/50 depending on the coach hired.
    Training staff remains same too?

Who did we miss out on? The Philly job and LAC job are simply more appealing right now to those specific coaches and Griff went after both of them. Missing out in nobody else he wanted in the process. He wanted Lue. A job with a team that could win the next few titles and the richest owner in the league opened up. And Griff now has his pick of anyone else he wants, and has interviewed all the top assistants and former HC's and will make his decision.

So, what would you have done differently?
    I was asking from his perspective, because it seem like he felt we missed out.

Yet, I'm not really all too worried who is coach. We have a talent and roster construction problem more so than coaching. What's attractive to coaches is win now talent. Which we clearly don't have for another 4 or 5 years once we really can start building.

With the short life span of coaches, how you gonna selll the squad you're going to develop is gonna hit its prime with a new coach.

Picks and future assets aren't talent. It's just assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Picks and future assets aren't talent. It's just assets.
    You remember that Homer Simpson, ''money can be exchanged for goods and services'' moment?

Picks and assets can be exchanged for talent, either through drafting well or executing trades.

If we run the Danny Ainge gauntlet of just refusing to trade anything ever and hanging on to the 2025 2nd round pick from the Royals, then it'll be a problem. But otherwise we're in a good position.

When it comes to the roster construction, I think it has to be remember that as of the end of last season, we don't actually know what our roster looks like. Okafor, Favors, Ingram, Kenrich, Frank, and Moore have all expired. Now, we know Ingram's getting that max, but aside from him any of those guys could be gone, and we have no idea who would be coming back to replace them. Maybe our roster will look much more balanced when game 1 of next year rolls around. Who knows?

My post was an honest question. I've watched a lot of New Orleans ball over the years but I don't really pay attention to the Eastern Conference. I know SVG by name and reputation but I didn't notice him much when he coached. On the surface, his record seems mixed. Great stuff in Miami with a loaded team, pretty good in Orlando with a pretty good roster, and then kinda meh in Detroit. The roster in Detroit wasn't great but it always wasn't bad by Eastern Conference standards. Seems like they should have performed better. But that's just me looking at records and being ignorant about the context that went into it. It seemed from reading the comments here that posters were more excited about who we didn't get as opposed to SVG himself. Not unlike the US presidential election. Hearing he was more innovative in Orlando is promising.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

You remember that Homer Simpson, ''money can be exchanged for goods and services'' moment?

Picks and assets can be exchanged for talent, either through drafting well or executing trades.

If we run the Danny Ainge gauntlet of just refusing to trade anything ever and hanging on to the 2025 2nd round pick from the Royals, then it'll be a problem. But otherwise we're in a good position.

When it comes to the roster construction, I think it has to be remember that as of the end of last season, we don't actually know what our roster looks like. Okafor, Favors, Ingram, Kenrich, Frank, and Moore have all expired. Now, we know Ingram's getting that max, but aside from him any of those guys could be gone, and we have no idea who would be coming back to replace them. Maybe our roster will look much more balanced when game 1 of next year rolls around. Who knows?
    Gonna pretend that we are gonna pull off some crazy super team trade in future

Keep dreaming Dae. Theoretical trade value isn't actualized talent.

It's happening taker I'm telling you man big trade get used to it because it's gonna happen soon....or beginning of season.....or midseason......it'shappening

I would just like a coach to be named...maybe before training camp starts would be nice.

But what do I know?
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    I would just like a coach to be named...maybe before training camp starts would be nice.

But what do I know?
    There are a few teams without a HC. Ind, Houston, OKC do not have one either. We will likely have one by the end of this week - likely 2 to 3 months before training camp starts

Gotta make sure we get this one right.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    It's happening taker I'm telling you man big trade get used to it because it's gonna happen soon....or beginning of season.....or midseason......it'shappening
    You like to poke fun and I do get it, but it's kind of besides the point. The reality is that most GMs are not Danny Ainge, and therefore most GMs do not turn down high value trades in order to preserve extremely distant, unknown assets.

I know that Danny Ainge passed on Kawhi, and then on Jimmy Butler, and then passed on AD, and then passed on Paul George because he really really wanted that 2020 Memphis pick and he couldn't stand the idea of moving Jaylen Brown, but the reality is that that is the exception rather than the rule. Most GMs, with a stash of distant assets, will pull the trigger on a relatively young star when given the chance.

I'm not saying that Griff is destined to use these assets to make a huge trade. Obviously there's no way for me to say that with any confidence, I would just be speculating and calling it fact.

But what I am saying is that completely handwaving assets away as if they hold zero value or potential use is just being obstinate for the sake of cynicism.

Oh no. That wasn't poking fun at you. I had just made my "big trade" post on the other thread so it was in support of you and I meant for the gif to be taken as me.

I think it would be foolish not to cash in our assets and not go after someone big, at some point. Maybe not this season....maybe we wait Zion closer to his prime....but we don't have room on a roster for even 1/3 of our assets. I definitely don't see us stockpiling more. We don't want to force it on an undeserving player, but a big trade sometime is the most logical scenario. So I AM going to take the stance they were are destined to use a huge chunk of assets on a big trade.

Every season there is always a team or two blowing up that wasn't predicted to blow up. Players available that no one that would be available. We'll see.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 10-19-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Has there been any mention why the two Miami Heat assistants no longer seem to be in the running?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    Has there been any mention why the two Miami Heat assistants no longer seem to be in the running?
    Where did you read they werent?

Pacee hires Raptor assistant Nate Bjorkgren

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Pacee hires Raptor assistant Nate Bjorkgren
    What an interesting hire. Indy obviously isn’t one of the most exciting coaching openings, however I wasn’t expecting them to go in the direction of Nate Bjorkgren. Good for them going with a Nick Nurse guy (surprised that it wasn’t Griffin, but I suppose his legal troubles are the fly in that ointment).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Stan Van Gundy agrees to deal to become next coach of Pelicans.
    - Adrian Wojnarowski retweeted Andrew Lopez
    https://twitter.com/_Andrew_Lopez/st...79586743521280

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/sta...75624506204162
    Last edited by Pels4Life; 10-21-2020 at 01:23 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    Stan Van Gundy agrees to deal to become next coach of Pelicans.

Adrian Wojnarowski, Senior NBA Insider

Thanks for the breaking news lolz.

https://www.pelicansreport.com/showt...Stan-Van-Gundy

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    oh didnt even notice that

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    oh didnt even notice that
    Sometimes it's hard to see the threads at the very top of the page. j/k

Mac was right again (more about his reasoning than anything)

Van Gundy is a good coach. The polar opposite of Gentry. The man emphasizes defense. A disciplinarian that holds players accountable. The run and gun frenetic pace on offense is done look for a more structured offense and slower pace. They may move Favors for a big that can shoot I think Ibaka would fit. I wonder what he would do with Lonzo. I think Ingram will handle the ball more in the half court probably much more pick and roll. Expect some roster changes to fit Van Gundy's system.

Thread Information