Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Demps in Utah

I was very adamant about trading Gordon. The guy clearly didn't want to be here. I felt we should have traded him the min he refused the original contract extension. You need everyone to buy in especially a player you expect to make up your core.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I have said yes in the past but some people who know him or know people who know him tell me its not the case. I think we will learn a ton this summer.

Dell was just a different level of optimist. I will never forget being at the airport when Dell called me after the Gentry announcement and literally the first question I asked him was, "So, with this hiring, I guess that means you're moving on from Asik" and his response was, "No, I think he can be for us what Bogut was in Golden State."

I know we talked about more that call. I had time to kill for a delayed plane. But I honestly can not remember one other thing because that line put me into a state of shock. I will never forget it.
    So if we keep Lonzo and Jrue this summer will your assumption of Griffin being too much of an optimist be validated or will it take more?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    So if we keep Lonzo and Jrue this summer will your assumption of Griffin being too much of an optimist be validated or will it take more?
    I need to see the whole offseason. Also, I think there is a very real chance he doesnt make trades until in season. For example, JJ wont have any less value at deadline than he will this offseason, so if he doesnt get blown away with an offer for him or Jrue or even Lonzo, he could go into the season with them on roster but knowing he is likely to trade them

I will learn most from the coach decision and the overall around the edges moves this offseason. He will only make a trade this offseason if someone overpays, so that wont tell me much
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    No - prior to officially signing with Phoenix, the Suns engaged us numerous times on a sign and trade. We said no, Gordon then said he would wait to do his surgery in season if we didnt sign and trade him and/or if we matched. It was ugly behind the scenes. All fans know is the "heart in Phoenix" comment, but it was very, very ugly.

But Dell refused to trade him, thinking he could get more later for Gordon. And he never did. And he also lost the opportunity cost of making moves with that cap space. For example, because we didnt have enough space, we had to make Lopez part of the Tyreke signing. And with no Lopez, we traded a 1st for Asik. And because we traded a 1st for Asik, we overpaid when we re-signed him.

It could all be traced back to the Gordon decision. That said, it makes me a little upset when people say they wish we would have sign and traded him because literally NOBODY agreed with that at the time. Nobody. Every time I brought that up, the answer was the same, "You cant just lose the guy who was the centerpiece of the CP3 trade"

This is why I am so adament about cutting bait on Lonzo. No, its not exactly the same but it is eerily close.
    At the time, Gordon was our franchise player for the first or second smallest market team in the league.

You could draw parallels, but I don't think the Lonzo situation is that identical considering Zion and Ingram

What is intriguing is the mindset Griffin has. The (second) Gordon decision was the first or second most important decision a rookie GM had to make.

Griffin and the team are a lot more experienced than that, with a lot more ammunition outside of Lonzo to appease fans, which is obviously always a consideration

Gordon was THE prize, but the myriad of assets we derived from the AD trade completely outweigh putting all the eggs in one peach basket like Dell had to in deciding Gordon's future with the team

Imagine your whole livelihood depends on umming and ahhing about roster decisions. Not sure if that's a blessing or a curse
    Last edited by AusPel; 10-01-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Also, I'm not sure why no one questions the Dell hire in the first place which a subject rife for discussion

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    At the time, Gordon was our franchise player for the first or second smallest market team in the league.

You could draw parallels, but I don't think the Lonzo situation is that identical considering Zion and Ingram

What is intriguing is the mindset Griffin has. The (second) Gordon decision was the first or second most important decision a rookie GM had to make.

Griffin and the team are a lot more experienced than that, with a lot more ammunition outside of Lonzo to appease fans, which is obviously always a consideration

Gordon was THE prize, but the myriad of assets we derived from the AD trade completely outweigh putting all the eggs in one peach basket like Dell had to in deciding Gordon's future with the team

Imagine your whole livelihood depends on umming and ahhing about roster decisions. Not sure if that's a blessing or a curse
    The problem I have with this Gordon situation is Demps didn't treat Gordon like he was the prize on the CP3 trade. We could have secured Eric on a max contract extension and didn't (in fairness to Dell he wasn't worth a max deal), but that created animosity between the franchise and Gordon. We let him hit free agency albeit restricted, but Phoenix rolled out the red carpet offered him the max and his heart was never here even though we matched. So we ended up handing out almost the very same amount, but managed to ******** off our star player. It was dumb then as it is dumb now. Either we should have paid him or moved him.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    The problem I have with this Gordon situation is Demps didn't treat Gordon like he was the prize on the CP3 trade. We could have secured Eric on a max contract extension and didn't (in fairness to Dell he wasn't worth a max deal), but that created animosity between the franchise and Gordon. We let him hit free agency albeit restricted, but Phoenix rolled out the red carpet offered him the max and his heart was never here even though we matched. So we ended up handing out almost the very same amount, but managed to ******** off our star player. It was dumb then as it is dumb now. Either we should have paid him or moved him.
    Actually, that's a very good point that I glossed over

I don't think letting him explore free agency was the turning point though. He was disgruntled from day 1 which you could glean from his comments and demeanour

Dell should have just traded him considering he's in the inner sanctum with these guys

But there's no real point in letting a guy get other offers then match as you say. It achieves nothing but create animosity and confusion.

The only two contracts I can remember in the last ten years (star level players) in this situation are Eric Gordon and Gordon Hayward

No surprise that they both left soon after
    Last edited by AusPel; 10-01-2020 at 10:39 AM.

Thread Information