Pelicans Report

Thread: Would You trade Jrue to the hawks?

Would You trade Jrue to the hawks?

What if they offered the number 6 pick, deandre hunter or cam reddish, and a filler like Dedmon?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    100% yes for me. I'd do it for less than that.

The disrespect.

Absolutely not.
    Basketball.

The Franchise
    I doubt Atl would do that but I think I would. That is a lot of length and decent shooting. I’d full rebuild if I did though. Lonzo for 8 and JJ and Dedmon for Nets Dinwiddie and Allen. I’d draft Okongwu at 6, Vassell at 8, and Kira at 13.

Dinwiddie, NAW, Kira
    BI,Hart, Vassell
    Reddish, Hunter
    Zion, Okongwu, Melli
    Allen, Hayes

So much length but soooo young. I think I’d like to watch a team like that. You’d have some money and can take a veteran like Horford.

Cam Reddish is going to be good. Deandre Hunter was the better player when drafted but by the end of last season i think reddish was better

he's be our SG for years. gotta grow up and play D though

id do it

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Haven't watched nearly enough of the Hawks to get a gauge on how Hunter or Reddish were doing this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Haven't watched nearly enough of the Hawks to get a gauge on how Hunter or Reddish were doing this season.
    Hunter was not terrible, but was basically what everyone said he was going to be: entirely unimpressive, just kind of decent, sticking to that image people had of him as a good roleplayer who was a 3 in college but will probably end up being a 4 in the NBA. Didn't show massive improvement. One of the biggest criticisms with him in college was that his 3pt shot (Which was a huge point of his hype) was kind of slow and wouldn't be as effective in the NBA until he could modify it. That ended up being true and he was a mediocre shooter. The defense that so many lauded him on was fine, mostly okay, but not particularly noteworthy.

Reddish is a bit different, he started off the season apocalyptically bad (his first 25 games were 8/4/1 splits on 33/27/73 shooting in 25 minutes per game) but he did show consistent improvement as the year went along. His final 15 games had him averaging 14/3/2 on 47/39/86 splits, which is obviously a huge surge. The volume wasn't super small either, he was taking 5 threes a game during that span. The defense was also quite impressive: he struggled containing certain players, which isn't a big problem for a rookie, and he showed some of the usual rookie issues with awareness and focus, but there were some very good flashes and encouraging signs.

One of the things about Reddish was that a lot of people pre-draft talked about him as if he was likely to be this super elite wing who was going to turn into a legitimate on ball creator and three level scorer. That's not something he showed real signs of, and still isn't a likely outcome for him. But a lot of other people said that if he works out the kinks in his shot, he does have the potential to be a very high level defender, and a good enough shooter to keep him alive on offense. So far, that's looking like a real possibility.

Still wouldn't trade Jrue for him when the only sweetener is the 6th pick in a bad draft and we'd have to take back empty salary.

Honestly, would depend on Jrue. We won't get a fair offer from any team if Jrue makes it known he's out after a year. If Jrue believes ATL is a playoff team with him and displays a willingness to possibly stay in Atlanta, then yes I'd trade him for Reddish and #6.

I believe next season is the only year we should be ok with not making the playoffs. That is true whether Jrue is here or not. This trade allows us two opportunities to maybe draft another star or have Reddish develop into a star. We could then use the cap space to round out the roster with high end veterans on 3 year deals. We would most likely have another lotto pick next year. The hope is finding another star between NAW, Hayes, Reddish, #6, #13, or next year's first. You also have to resources to move up this year or next if you really like a prospect. If not hold all your prospects and high end role players for a mega trade in the summer of 22.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    What about trading Jrue to the pacers?

PACERS receive: Jrue, the 13th pick

PELS get: Myles Turner and TJ Warren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about not trading Jrue.. People are acting as if he is suppose to be other teams savior yet not worth a damn here.. IMO we need him just as much as any other team does out there. I don’t think he is moved and will stay a part of our future.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    What about not trading Jrue.. People are acting as if he is suppose to be other teams savior yet not worth a damn here.. IMO we need him just as much as any other team does out there. I don?t think he is moved and will stay a part of our future.
    I think he will be moved. I wouldn?t mind moving up in the draft to get Killian Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    What about not trading Jrue.. People are acting as if he is suppose to be other teams savior yet not worth a damn here.. IMO we need him just as much as any other team does out there. I don’t think he is moved and will stay a part of our future.
    Here's my issue: When can you look back in history and see two young (pre-24) up and coming studs on a roster accompanied by a veteran player with a usage around 25%?

Usually, when you are developing two young guys like that to be the future core, you are surrounding them with veteran, low usage role players. Not older guys who are going to have the ball in their hands a ton. You want Zion and Ingram (and to a lesser extent Lonzo) to get those reps in an effort to eventually reach their full potential.

I like Jrue, and I think he will be back. But history says that it would probably be better for Zion and Ingram long term if it was crystal clear that it was their team and they drove the offensive engine with a bunch of guys playing off them. Not another guy who is practically equally involved. Giannis, Lebron, KD, Steph --- name your superstar. They didnt have a player like Jrue on their team when they were 20-22. They got those reps because they had to make plays for their teams at that age because they were clearly the guy

If I had to make an argument for moving Jrue - THAT would be my argument. And I would acquire other vets but they would be role players who played off of Ingram and Zion as creators. Not another creator alongside them
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Here's my issue: When can you look back in history and see two young (pre-24) up and coming studs on a roster accompanied by a veteran player with a usage around 25%?

Usually, when you are developing two young guys like that to be the future core, you are surrounding them with veteran, low usage role players. Not older guys who are going to have the ball in their hands a ton. You want Zion and Ingram (and to a lesser extent Lonzo) to get those reps in an effort to eventually reach their full potential.

I like Jrue, and I think he will be back. But history says that it would probably be better for Zion and Ingram long term if it was crystal clear that it was their team and they drove the offensive engine with a bunch of guys playing off them. Not another guy who is practically equally involved. Giannis, Lebron, KD, Steph --- name your superstar. They didnt have a player like Jrue on their team when they were 20-22. They got those reps because they had to make plays for their teams at that age because they were clearly the guy

If I had to make an argument for moving Jrue - THAT would be my argument. And I would acquire other vets but they would be role players who played off of Ingram and Zion as creators. Not another creator alongside them
    That?s a very good point. Who would you like to see Jrue traded for?

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    That?s a very good point. Who would you like to see Jrue traded for?

I think too many people play that game, but its not just about the single trade....its about the offseason as a whole. So, I can get all young pieces for Jrue, but I only do that if I know I can get vets in another move or via the MLE

But overall, if I move Jrue, what I am looking for is as many assets as I can that will have good value in 2022 or 2023. My thinking is that I am basically doing a classic Sell-Buy. By that I mean that I am going to sell my quasi star in 2020 with the idea of using what I get to buy another star/quasi star in 2022 or 2023.

So, will Dinwiddie have value then? Probably not. But will an unprotected Nets 2024 or 2025 1st? Yep. So, I would value that first over Dinwiddie.

I would target teams willing to mortgage their far out future for their present. Milwaukee, Nets, etc. I would trade Jrue for Bledsoe, salary filler and unprotected 2024 and 2026 picks plus a 2025 pick swap, for example over a trade featuring LeVert and T. Prince, lets say. Because in 2022 I gotta give Levert a new deal and either he is gone or he is overpaid and not a great asset for my big trade.

Almost every move I make has to answer one simple question: How does this make my war chest better for the guy who comes available in 2022 or 2023 that completes my dream trio? Even the guy I select in this upcoming draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Absolutely not.
    All before the draft, you were all over Cam Reddish. You thought he was so good.

Kidding. Don't hurt me. I knew you'd veto it as soon as I saw Cam's name. Lol
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    All before the draft, you were all over Cam Reddish. You thought he was so good.

Kidding. Don't hurt me. I knew you'd veto it as soon as I saw Cam's name. Lol
    Reddish showed a lot of improvement during his rookie year and it was quite good actually.

He didn't turn into some kind of wunderkind or anything but he went from being hot garbage to just having normal rookie struggles by the end, which was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Reddish showed a lot of improvement during his rookie year and it was quite good actually.

He didn't turn into some kind of wunderkind or anything but he went from being hot garbage to just having normal rookie struggles by the end, which was cool.
    I know a guy who works for the Hawks and he says Cam will be an All NBA defender one day, but says he never talks or shows emotion, etc. I think we got enough guys like that on this team already. I am at the point where I'd prefer lesser players but who talk more, fight more, get angry when we lose, etc

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I know a guy who works for the Hawks and he says Cam will be an All NBA defender one day, but says he never talks or shows emotion, etc. I think we got enough guys like that on this team already. I am at the point where I'd prefer lesser players but who talk more, fight more, get angry when we lose, etc
    My view on Cam is that he could potentially end up being one of the 5 best wing defenders in the league, but will probably only ever be a mediocre offensive player who relies on other people to create his opportunities. Very much 3&D, as much as that term is thrown about these days.

If that's a player you're looking for, then there's value there. If it's not, then there isn't. Depends on what you want. He's not likely to be your moral or spiritual heart though.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Makes Reddish sound like Baby Kawhi. Just in demeanor.

Thread Information