Pelicans Report

Thread: Would you trade Zion for Giannis? Yeah this was trending

Would you trade Zion for Giannis? Yeah this was trending

Well this came out of left field
    https://pelicandebrief.com/2020/09/0...-zion-giannis/

Please don’t shoot me. Shoot the author of article Aaron Kellerstrass
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 09-19-2020 at 12:10 AM.

Yeah. No hesi.

It's an odd situation because I think that Zion has the potential to be at least in the Giannis zone of being a top 5 player who could win MVPs and be the best player on a championship calibre team, which is how I view Giannis.

But for Zion that requires a few things to fall right: his defense needs to come back up to Duke levels (which I believe it probably will, or at least come close, this year was an outlier for a million reasons), and he needs to improve as a rebounder. Giannis already has those things: as his DPOY and his 12+RPG every year testifies.

If Giannis was 30, I would say no for age reasons, but he's only 25 I think.

But then he's so much more expensive than Zion: if you think Zion reaches Giannis ish levels in the next 5 years or so, he might be cheaper than Giannis.

It's a difficult question. I think I would probably end up doing it, because Giannis' stardom is proven and secured and it's not like he's old, but I can totally understand why some people wouldn't.
    Basketball.

If Giannis were to sign a long term deal I would absolutely have to consider it. This is to tough for me to answer because I love Zion. This team would fit pretty dang well around Giannis especially considering the assets we would have to move and build the right roster around him.

Remember just a year or so ago people were saying that they wouldn’t trade AD for Giannis? Good times.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Remember just a year or so ago people were saying that they wouldn’t trade AD for Giannis? Good times.
    I don't remember it a year ago. I remember it 2 or 3 years ago though, and I was one of them. In 2016-17, there was a big debate starting to brew over who was better: AD or Giannis?

Back then, I thought it was AD. I still think that at that time, that was true. But Giannis took multiple huge strides immediately after that, and AD kind of just stagnated. At this point it's undebatable that Giannis is the superior player.

Both Power Forwards, a two time, 25 year old, 6'11'', MVP versus (until now) a 6'6', 20 year old, projection who has been injured the last two years.

Sign a five year max deal and let's roll Giannis.

Basketball Guru
    yes i would trade zion for giannis.....hell, im on the record for saying i want us to draft morant over zion....

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Both Power Forwards, a two time, 25 year old, 6'11'', MVP versus (until now) a 6'6', 20 year old, projection who has been injured the last two years.

Sign a five year max deal and let's roll Giannis.
    Only with a wink wink extension.

NOooo!!!! Zion's game translates into a better opportunity to win it all. Giannis's game will only get you so far. I guess I like Zion's power game better than Giannis finess game.

It’s all moot if Giannis probably doesn’t agree to sign. But yes

Not no but hell no. The man just averaged 23 and 8 as a 19 year old rookie with hardly any jump shot.

The hell is wrong with yall.
    Last edited by luckyman; 09-19-2020 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Not no but hell no. The man just averaged 23 and 8 as a 19 year old rookie with hardly any jump shot.

The hell is wrong with yall.
    Well Giannis is a two time MVP. You can easily make an argument for him.

But I'm taking Zion because he is cost controlled and we all know what his ceiling could be. And we drafted him

Zion is more fun to watch even if you give the edge to Giannis. I'll pass.

Without him even agreeing to an extension.. no one is gonna trade for him! If he doesn't wanna play for the Bucks, I highly doubt if he wants to play for the Pels.
    Actual proof Greivis Vasquez can throw Anthony Davis an Alley-OOP on an (kinda) fastbreak!

Quote Originally Posted by boot318 View Post
    Without him even agreeing to an extension.. no one is gonna trade for him! If he doesn't wanna play for the Bucks, I highly doubt if he wants to play for the Pels.
    Obviously a deal of this nature would have things like this discussed. The only issue would be how does he think in 2 years and pull an AD basically forcing a trade. In a perfect world I would do it and that’s hard to say cause Zion in my top 3 favorite player all time. When you break everything down I think the right move is to keep him and I don’t think many disagree.

Simple, whoever wouldn't do this is acting like a fan; which they are.

If one were to be the GM, it's a no-brainer

you would have to do it

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post

you would have to do it
    Not without an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not without an extension.
    True. That's a given.

imagine our line-up

Tough call. I'd entertain arguments for both sides of this debate.

I think I lean towards keeping Zion. Simply because of age. The jumpshot is king in this era of basketball. Not that Giannis is too old to improve his shot at 25, but that 5 year age difference matter a lot as that's where most players fix what's broken with their respective games'.

If this was last season and retaining AD was contingent on landing another star, there would be 0 hesitation. Now considering where we are in the timeline, it wouldn’t make sense unless there was another deal to land another big time player.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post

you would have to do it
    Giannis has put up stats and won a lot of regular season games.

He has not even reached the finals after 5 years, which is the goal. And he has disappeared in big games to do so.

This is anything but a "no brainer."

Thread Information