Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does Redick Want a Trade?

Does Redick Want a Trade?

Sorry if this has been discussed but some local media in New Orleans mentioned on air today that J.J. has indicated on his podcast that he'd like to be traded to a title contender next season. Has anyone been monitoring his podcast? This is the first I've heard of it.

I think he mentioned something about ring chasing to end his career

If true, I'm all for trading him. Doesn't have to be to a title contender though.

You want to be traded, then you accept it might have to be to Charlotte. Thats how it works bro. Otherwise shaddup.

No do not trade JJ. He was misused by having to start so much and can only continue helping our young guys grow their games by seeing how he works from 3pt. I believe there was something where JJ worked with NAW and a couple others on routines and helping with their shot. He is an instant spark off the bench and should stay that was as a 6th man. If it comes to next season and we don’t look like a legit playoff team then we move him before the deadline where we would get very good value by a team needing his skill set in the playoffs. Having PG-Jrue/SG-Beal star with PG-NAW/SG-JJ off the bench would be in incredibly good and exciting if you ask me. Keep Frank around as the 5th combo guard. I think any coach would sleep very well at night having this group while opposing coaches toss and turn all night. Not just due to these two but Ingram/Zion etc..

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    No do not trade JJ. He was misused by having to start so much and can only continue helping our young guys grow their games by seeing how he works from 3pt. I believe there was something where JJ worked with NAW and a couple others on routines and helping with their shot. He is an instant spark off the bench and should stay that was as a 6th man. If it comes to next season and we don’t look like a legit playoff team then we move him before the deadline where we would get very good value by a team needing his skill set in the playoffs. Having PG-Jrue/SG-Beal star with PG-NAW/SG-JJ off the bench would be in incredibly good and exciting if you ask me. Keep Frank around as the 5th combo guard. I think any coach would sleep very well at night having this group while opposing coaches toss and turn all night. Not just due to these two but Ingram/Zion etc..
    He's not staying long term, or very unlikely to. To not look to the future and gather assets for a very in demand player and let him walk would be a very Dell thing to do. Deal him at the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    He's not staying long term, or very unlikely to. To not look to the future and gather assets for a very in demand player and let him walk would be a very Dell thing to do. Deal him at the deadline.
    If you read exactly what I said it was to deal him at the deadline if we don’t show to be a team ready for a playoff run. If we do then you absolutely do not trade JJ as we already have enough draft picks. If things aren’t looking so great then again as I said in my previous post you move him to a desperate team for their playoff hunt. We are in great positions to do whatever we want and get just about any player with the assets we have without gutting our core.

I listen to his podcast pretty frequently, and I haven't heard him say anything like that. That doesn't necessarily mean he won't request a trade privately, but JJ doesn't seem like the guy who would just spew that for anyone to hear.

I couldn’t blame him to be honest. Especially after the way we bent over at the end of last season. If I were JJ, I would not trust this franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Sorry if this has been discussed but some local media in New Orleans mentioned on air today that J.J. has indicated on his podcast that he'd like to be traded to a title contender next season. Has anyone been monitoring his podcast? This is the first I've heard of it.
    What local media mentioned that? That is not at all what he said. Someone asked if he would be open to taking a smaller contract to chase a ring to end his career and he indicated he may. He ever said anything about wanting to be traded.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    He should absolutely be traded.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    If he wants to be traded, trade him. I like JJ and I'd love to keep him, but man... If he wants to, do it. Get something back, and help him out.

Not a building block...just an asset of value. Cash that sucker in.

The comments were on Inside New Orleans Sports in a discussion between Eric Asher and Jude Young. To be fair what they said was Redick was talking on his podcast and in other interviews about wanting to get a ring before the end of his career and that he would take a smaller deal next time to get a title shot on a contender. Young inferred that Redick was sending a signal that his mind is now elsewhere and that, though JJ is a total professional and wouldn't be a problem, the Pels should read between the lines and move him to a contender while he was still a valuable asset.

Does he want to be traded? I listened to the podcast he did with those clowns from New York, and he was asked if he thought he would get on a title contending team again, and he said he would, but he didn’t say he wanted to be traded.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

The comments were on Inside New Orleans Sports in a discussion between Eric Asher and Jude Young. To be fair what they said was Redick was talking on his podcast and in other interviews about wanting to get a ring before the end of his career and that he would take a smaller deal next time to get a title shot on a contender. Young inferred that Redick was sending a signal that his mind is now elsewhere and that, though JJ is a total professional and wouldn't be a problem, the Pels should read between the lines and move him to a contender while he was still a valuable asset.
    The Pels do not need to 'read between the lines', precisely because Redick is a professional. If he wants a trade he will tell front office, not make subliminal comments on a podcast and expect them to work it out.
    Basketball.

There's always some reading between the lines in life and basketball, no matter how professional people are. Here I think Redick's transparency let's the Pels know that, despite some speculation about Redick wanting to end his career as a respected vet on the Pelicans, he is intent on playing for a title contender before he hangs them up. As even the most optimistic timeline doesn't put the Pels in the title mix in the next few years, it seems clear J.J. won't be sticking around past his season. Of course, it's entirely possible he told Pels management all this already...

There's always some reading between the lines in life and basketball, no matter how professional people are. Here I think Redick's transparency let's the Pels know that, despite some speculation about Redick wanting to end his career as a respected vet on the Pelicans, he is intent on playing for a title contender before he hangs them up. As even the most optimistic timeline doesn't put the Pels in the title mix in the next few years, it seems clear J.J. won't be sticking around past his season. Of course, it's entirely possible he told Pels management all this already...
    Exactly. Players directly request trades all the time. If Redick wants to be moved, the front office either knows already, or will find out soon, and they will know because Redick or his representation directly request it. They are not going to make roster decisions based on off-the-cuff comments on podcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What local media mentioned that? That is not at all what he said. Someone asked if he would be open to taking a smaller contract to chase a ring to end his career and he indicated he may. He ever said anything about wanting to be traded.
    https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/09/...his-offseason/

And on that note teams have been interested in him. Grif. Grew his trade stock if anything

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-2020-deadline

Could also be dealt back to Clippers.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/09/...his-offseason/

And on that note teams have been interested in him. Grif. Grew his trade stock if anything

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-2020-deadline

Could also be dealt back to Clippers.
    One of those is speculation from Feb. The other is about the Lakers being a fit. Neither indicate he asked for a trade. The Lakers have nothing left to offer. I could see him getting dealt, more likely at the trade deadline.

One of those is speculation from Feb. The other is about the Lakers being a fit. Neither indicate he asked for a trade. The Lakers have nothing left to offer. I could see him getting dealt, more likely at the trade deadline.
    Trade him anyway

https://pelicandebrief.com/2020/09/1...redick-trades/

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Does he want to be traded? I listened to the podcast he did with those clowns from New York, and he was asked if he thought he would get on a title contending team again, and he said he would, but he didn’t say he wanted to be traded.
    Exactly! Who is to say JJ doesn’t believe he has a real shot to win one here. He is in an organization surrounded by former Dukes players and personnel. Two of those players happen to be stars under 23 years old and one is the GM of the team. I think he’s smart enough to know that this team could be 2 players away from being serious contenders when you look at teams like the Nuggets and Heat. Again if we get the right coach and add 1 more key piece this team can be every bit as good as Denver if not better. I take our roster over there’s with Jokic being resllly the only clear better player at position to position vs their team.

Yea if we deal JJ at all it is a deadline deal. These same people would lose it when we come out blazing next year and decide to trade JJ. He is a huge piece to this team and one of our few 3pt shooters to space for Zion. I don’t get the idea of moving one of the best 3pt shooters in the NBA right now which is exactly what we need. Unless it is a player or players that would have a it impact here it just makes no sense. I don’t see many contending teams giving away very good players for JJ outside of some draft picks which we already when to many of.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Exactly! Who is to say JJ doesn’t believe he has a real shot to win one here. He is in an organization surrounded by former Dukes players and personnel. Two of those players happen to be stars under 23 years old and one is the GM of the team. I think he’s smart enough to know that this team could be 2 players away from being serious contenders when you look at teams like the Nuggets and Heat. Again if we get the right coach and add 1 more key piece this team can be every bit as good as Denver if not better. I take our roster over there’s with Jokic being resllly the only clear better player at position to position vs their team.
    I dig your optimism, Bruh! I’d be happy for the Pels just to make the playoffs next year, given how stacked the West will be. But I think you have to be a little realistic. JJ is 36-years-old. How many years does he have left as a real contributor on a contending team? I know he keeps in great shape but he’s also a shortish shooting guard of average athleticism whose game is highly dependent on his off-ball movement. I love his all-YMCA game, but a step slower coming off those screens and he’s toast.

The Franchise
    I’d guess for JJ it would matter what we do in the off-season same goes for Jrue. If we trade Jrue I’m sure he wouldn’t want to stay since he was a main reason he came.

But if we did trade him the Nets are the team I’m hoping for. Something like Dinwiddie, Claxton and Allen numbers work and we can throw in a couple seconds. One this year and one next year.

Need one veteran big and we set at those positions
    Zion, Melli, Claxton
    Allen, Hayes, veteran

I dig your optimism, Bruh! I’d be happy for the Pels just to make the playoffs next year, given how stacked the West will be. But I think you have to be a little realistic. JJ is 36-years-old. How many years does he have left as a real contributor on a contending team? I know he keeps in great shape but he’s also a shortish shooting guard of average athleticism whose game is highly dependent on his off-ball movement. I love his all-YMCA game, but a step slower coming off those screens and he’s toast.
    Thanks my guy! I think JJ is one of those rare guys who can play until he is 40. Kyle Korbut is 39 years old and still has an elite skill set that many teams want. Look what he just recently did for us in the bubble looking like our best player. I don't see him all the sudden slowing down to where he can’t get open. We also started him half the year which I don’t think he should ever be doing here. He is someone who can be very valuable that we can’t replace. Having him come off the bench for however many minutes while getting some nights off and mentoring the young guys is what I want to see us do with him. His game is constantly moving and knocking down the 3s which I don’t see going away anytime soon. Look how valuable Ray Allen was to the Heat and even Mike Miller who could barely walk but just stand in place. There is a reason other teams want him and for that same reason is why I think we should keep him. We don’t need anymore picks and I don’t see any contending teams offering up a player that is worth anything close to what he provides for us.

Thread Information