Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lonzo Ball has signed with Klutch Sports.

Pelicans Lonzo Ball has signed with Klutch Sports.

Three years into his NBA career, New Orleans Pelicans guard Lonzo Ball views this as a pivotal offseason, which begins with an important business decision: Ball has signed with agent Rich Paul of Klutch Sports, the 22-year-old told ESPN.

"I wanted to lead my career," Ball told ESPN. "Picking my own representation -- just solely as my decision -- was Step 1 in that process. For me, it was an easy call and it was the right time to make that call."
    Lonzo Ball, looking to 'lead my career,' signs with Klutch Sports

Basketball Guru
    well i guess he will be signing with the lakers or trade back to them lol....

New York's problem now.

Au revoir

Trade time trade time
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Au revoir

Trade time trade time
    Yeah, it may be.

This is great news. Hopefully it means he is gone.

I wonder if the PG spot suits Holiday's personality better than the 2? My memory fails me if this is feasible, but maybe Jrue gives us the flexibility of taking either the best PG or shooting guard we can get for Lonzo?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    I wonder if the PG spot suits Holiday's personality better than the 2? My memory fails me if this is feasible, but maybe Jrue gives us the flexibility of taking either the best PG or shooting guard we can get for Lonzo?
    We have seen Jrue as the lead PG before and that does not seem to be a role that suits him full time.

Jrue's best usage, as we've seen fairly clearly over the years, is one which gives him the flexibility to play on and off the ball and doesn't require him to set up literally everything in the half court.

He can do some of it, and even thrives doing so, but you can't ask him to just take the ball and run the game; it's not his thing. Having someone else on the court who can reliably create for others is a must.

There are plenty reasons to trade Lonzo. But simply signing with Klutch isn't one of them. They do a good job for their clients so...

^That's not the reason we are talking about trading him. It's possible foreshadowing that Lonzo is going to want a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    There are plenty reasons to trade Lonzo. But simply signing with Klutch isn't one of them. They do a good job for their clients so...
    There are two major reasons that Lonzo signing with Klutch are reasons for fans to speculate on it indicating a trade.

1) Klutch has a history of getting maximised value out of their signees, to the point of blatant overpayment. If Lonzo is signing with Klutch, there's a good chance he values his next contract fairly highly, and there's also a good chance that Klutch will seek to get that value for him, whether his play earns it or not. In that case, it's not a problem (in fact it's very good) for us to recognise that giving Lonzo a huge deal would be detrimental to our long term future and that, given that signing with Klutch enhances his probability of getting such a deal elsewhere, it's best for us to move him now

2) Klutch has a history of its management and its players burning New Orleans, whether that's AD signing with Klutch only to turn around and demand a trade, or whether it's people like Perkins going on TV on a regular basis to trash the franchise [and Perkins saying that he used his time in New Orleans to seed the idea of going to Klutch to AD in the first place]. It's not unreasonable for fans to see a player signing with that particular agency as a possible indicator of the temperature of their relationship with the team: that is, it may be a sign that Lonzo wants out.

Now, Lonzo has changed agency (I think) 4 times already in his NBA career, so it could also just be a sign of that continued indecision from him. Plausible.

But it's not unreasonable to think that it might be portentous.

Jrue's best usage, as we've seen fairly clearly over the years, is one which gives him the flexibility to play on and off the ball and doesn't require him to set up literally everything in the half court.

He can do some of it, and even thrives doing so, but you can't ask him to just take the ball and run the game; it's not his thing. Having someone else on the court who can reliably create for others is a must.
    If we are going to keep Jrue then pairing him with another guard like CJ McCollum with defense is what is needed. Doesn't need to be strictly a PG.
    Both BI and Zion will eventually run some offense too.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    If we are going to keep Jrue then pairing him with another guard like CJ McCollum with defense is what is needed. Doesn't need to be strictly a PG.
    Both BI and Zion will eventually run some offense too.
    Exactly. I barely care whether Jrue is listed as the PG or not. The issue is whether or not there are other capable ballhandlers who can run offense in the lineup. If that's a PG or a SG or a forward is kind of besides the point; this is an extreme example that would never happen but Lebron is a SF and he'd obviously fill the role just fine.

Of course we hope Zion gets his ballhandling back to Duke levels and maintains the passing flashes we saw this year (I think he will, but we'll see) and he can shoulder a large part of the half-court creation burden.

Exactly! This whole thinking Klutch has some issue with the Pelicans because of AD going to the Lakers is absurd. If anything Klutch saved the Pelicans franchise by getting AD to LA and landing us a boatload if picks and players. AD wanted out of here and I guarantee that was before Klutch. He tried using them to save face as well as they did to keep their clients image pristine.

There are two major reasons that Lonzo signing with Klutch are reasons for fans to speculate on it indicating a trade.

1) Klutch has a history of getting maximised value out of their signees, to the point of blatant overpayment. If Lonzo is signing with Klutch, there's a good chance he values his next contract fairly highly, and there's also a good chance that Klutch will seek to get that value for him, whether his play earns it or not. In that case, it's not a problem (in fact it's very good) for us to recognise that giving Lonzo a huge deal would be detrimental to our long term future and that, given that signing with Klutch enhances his probability of getting such a deal elsewhere, it's best for us to move him now

2) Klutch has a history of its management and its players burning New Orleans, whether that's AD signing with Klutch only to turn around and demand a trade, or whether it's people like Perkins going on TV on a regular basis to trash the franchise [and Perkins saying that he used his time in New Orleans to seed the idea of going to Klutch to AD in the first place]. It's not unreasonable for fans to see a player signing with that particular agency as a possible indicator of the temperature of their relationship with the team: that is, it may be a sign that Lonzo wants out.

Now, Lonzo has changed agency (I think) 4 times already in his NBA career, so it could also just be a sign of that continued indecision from him. Plausible.

But it's not unreasonable to think that it might be portentous.
    The problem with ALL that is...Lonzo doesn't have that kind of pull. He finished the season poorly and he is still somewhat of a project as a point guard.

So signing with Klutch right now is a good move for him because if the light doesn't turn on soon, he's about to become a journeyman. So go ahead and maximize what he can on the business, off-the-court side.

How can anyone here think Lonzo via Klutch can demand anything right now is beyond me. Just amounts to overzealous conspiracy theory.
    Last edited by luckyman; 09-14-2020 at 11:46 PM.

The problem with ALL that is...Lonzo doesn't have that kind of pull. He finished the season poorly and he is still somewhat of a project as a point guard.

So signing with Klutch right now is a good move for him because if the light doesn't turn on soon, he's about to become a journeyman. So go ahead and maximize what he can on the business, off-the-court side.

How can anyone here think Lonzo via Klutch can demand anything right now is beyond me. Just amounts to overzealous conspiracy theory.
    The issue isn't whether Lonzo has that kind of pull, it's whether or not Lonzo believes he has that pull, or at least thinks Klutch's management can finagle it for him to some extent.

Plus, the number of people we've seen running around with ''the bubble doesn't count'' takes, even in high media positions, has to have Lonzo at least partially reassured that his abysmal Bubble play won't counteract what many saw as a breakout few months prior to that. Whether you believe that period of time was a real breakout, or just a hot streak, doesn't really matter: again, what matters is what Lonzo thinks and what he thinks GMs might think (a thought process that can be influenced by Klutch).

If thinking Lonzo and Klutch can demand anything is an ''overzealous conspiracy theory'', then thinking that Lonzo and Klutch won't try to angle things their way is ludicrously naive.

Dae... Put down the tinfoil.

AD forced a trade out of NOLA... Himself. Not Klutch. Because we was a trash organization.

Kamara is with Klutch and he resigned with us. AD stuff is in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Dae... Put down the tinfoil.

AD forced a trade out of NOLA... Himself. Not Klutch. Because we was a trash organization.

Kamara is with Klutch and he resigned with us. AD stuff is in the past.
    I was unaware Kamara had a chance to go win a ring in LA with Lebron, forgive me.

Again, not saying there is necessarily anything nefarious to this at all.

But to act like it's conspiracy theorising to see a player change agent immediately prior to a ''pivotal offseason'', and to have that new agent be one notorious for extracting high price contracts for their players and one that our star signed with immediately before asking out last year, and think maybe that player may value themselves highly or want a trade? That's just being naive, I think. It may mean nothing. But the idea that it might potentially mean something isn't the equivalent of thinking the moon landing was fake or something.

The Franchise
    If Lonzo signs an extension this offseason for 12-14 million, I think you keep him. If he wants more field offers. You don’t have to rush it since we could trade him at the trade deadline or a sign and trade next year. The thing for me is I don’t think him and Jrue fit together.

As for Jrue at pg. I think it’s fine. He only has to bring the ball up court then give to Ingram. I’m sure he can run some pick and rolls too and be a creator at the end of games like he’s been doing. My thing is we need to have a shooter at the other guard position. I’m kinda started leaning towards Kira Lewis in the draft so if that was to happen we could move on from Zo and Jrue stays at the 2.

...thinking that Lonzo and Klutch won't try to angle things their way is ludicrously naive.
    Wouldn't that be the case with every agent and every player?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Why are people focusing on Lonzo's fit with Jrue? Why are we focusing on building around a player that will probably be 31 years old by the end of next season? Personally I think they both should be traded.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Why are people focusing on Lonzo's fit with Jrue? Why are we focusing on building around a player that will probably be 31 years old by the end of next season? Personally I think they both should be traded.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Wouldn't that be the case with every agent and every player?
    Sure, but again, we have reason to suspect more aggressive tactics and higher valuations from Klutch players than from other agents. The reason we have justification in believing that is that there are so many high profile examples of Klutch players getting hugely overvalued contracts, with disturbing regularity, as well as the experience we as a franchise have with Klutch and its representatives.

I will repeat: does that mean there is definitely 100% something going on with this Klutch move? No, of course not. Does it mean that if someone is a bit suspicious, they may have some justifiable reason for that suspicion? Yes.

Thread Information