Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Free Agency thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Well, first I have to emphasise that this is just my guesswork and speculation. I do not have, and never have claimed to have, any sort of connections.

I feel like Zo is more likely to be moved. We know what Gentry was a huge fan of his, and pushed for the Lakers trade before the deadline because of how much he liked Lonzo. Now that his biggest supporter is gone, that's got to be a mark against him at least on some level. We've also heard from MM (which you can take as seriously as you like) that part of the reason Lonzo swapped agents was that there was difficulty coming to an agreement on an extension, whereas that kind of thing is already kind of wrapped up with guys like Hart. Given that inability to meet on something early, plus the loss of Gentry combined with Lonzo's poor play, there seems to be some reason to suspect a trade may be on the horizon.

By comparison, Jrue's connection to the franchise seems as stable as it's ever been: he just invested more money in the community, just won the Teammate of the Year award, etc.
    It's tough, I love Jrue. But It seems he may be highly sought-after from teams hoping to compete for a championship. I wouldn't be surprised if a team makes an offer that's hard to refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

PELS get Reddish, Dedmon, Hunter and the 6th pick

Hawks get Jrue

We draft Okongwu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why does Atlanta do that?

Quote Originally Posted by PeliKhan View Post
    It's tough, I love Jrue. But It seems he may be highly sought-after from teams hoping to compete for a championship. I wouldn't be surprised if a team makes an offer that's hard to refuse.
    Well certainly but the issue comes down to whether or not that offer is good enough. The problem that teams always have in these sorts of scenarios is that if you're good enough that one player will tip you into championship contention, you're generally also fairly attached to the pieces you have.

Take Denver for example. Let's say you think adding Jrue, that secondary ball handler who can score in the paint off the dribble and play elite wing defense, is enough to take your current core over the top. That means he's a valuable player. How do you acquire that valuable player without giving away stuff that you'd need for that championship? How do you get Jrue without giving up Jokic or Murray? Very difficult.

That's part of why I think Lonzo might be more likely to go: his asking price is simply a lot lower.
    Basketball.

If we would move Ball, this is my trade:

De'Aaron Fox (Sacramento) for Lonzo Ball (New Orleans) Straight up

Fox is originally from New Orleans while Ball is from California, so each might be inclined to extend now.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    If we would move Ball, this is my trade:

De'Aaron Fox (Sacramento) for Lonzo Ball (New Orleans) Straight up

Fox is originally from New Orleans while Ball is from California, so each might be inclined to extend now.
    The problem with that is that Fox is actually good and Ball isn't, so why would SAC do it?

The problem with that is that Fox is actually good and Ball isn't, so why would SAC do it?
    If you need to sweeten the ante...we have the assets to play with. Add Hart or NAW and/or draft picks. There are some who think that Ball still has the bigger upside. Problem is...when, if ever, will it show.
    Last edited by As I See It; 10-11-2020 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    If you need to sweeten the ante...we have the assets to play with. Add Hart or NAW and/or draft picks. There are some who think that Ball still has the bigger upside. Problem is...when, if ever, will it show.
    Again, why would they do that? Sounds terrible on their end.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Well certainly but the issue comes down to whether or not that offer is good enough. The problem that teams always have in these sorts of scenarios is that if you're good enough that one player will tip you into championship contention, you're generally also fairly attached to the pieces you have.

Take Denver for example. Let's say you think adding Jrue, that secondary ball handler who can score in the paint off the dribble and play elite wing defense, is enough to take your current core over the top. That means he's a valuable player. How do you acquire that valuable player without giving away stuff that you'd need for that championship? How do you get Jrue without giving up Jokic or Murray? Very difficult.

That's part of why I think Lonzo might be more likely to go: his asking price is simply a lot lower.
    MPJ is the easy answer. Possibly Harris for salary and we send another piece back.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaJoseph View Post
    MPJ is the easy answer. Possibly Harris for salary and we send another piece back.

Not that interested in Maga Porter Jr to be honest. I think he's always going to be a woeful defender, he has real ego issues that need to be sorted out, and he's an exceedingly low feel decision maker. Will be a good shot maker, great shooter for his size, but again, not the kind of guy I see as the centrepiece of a Jrue deal.

Rumour we're trading for Embid?!

https://pelicandebrief.com/2020/10/1...rade-embiid/2/

I doubt there's any credibility to this but wow that be exciting

Not that interested in Maga Porter Jr to be honest. I think he's always going to be a woeful defender, he has real ego issues that need to be sorted out, and he's an exceedingly low feel decision maker. Will be a good shot maker, great shooter for his size, but again, not the kind of guy I see as the centrepiece of a Jrue deal.
    Better than Horford based deals on RealGM. And if we make a trade with Denver, who else is worth Jrue? No one in my opinion.

Better than Horford based deals on RealGM. And if we make a trade with Denver, who else is worth Jrue? No one in my opinion.

Then you don't trade with Denver lol

We aren't required to trade Jrue. If you don't get a deal you feel is worth it, you don't do it.

Rumour we're trading for Embid?!

https://pelicandebrief.com/2020/10/1...rade-embiid/2/

I doubt there's any credibility to this but wow that be exciting
    It's not even a rumour really. Someone on Bleacher Report proposed it as a suggestion, and this is an article talking about the proposal. Neither of those things are a leak or a sourced claim or anything like that.

In any case, not a fan of pairing Embiid with Zion. Embiid's a great defender, and is a clear top 15 player in the NBA so on one hand it's hard to say no. On the other hand, he's one of the softest superstars in the NBA, sulks with alarming regularity, gives up on games frequently, doesn't really provide floor spacing, and is a clunky passer and decision maker. Incredible scorer around the basket and big time rebounder, great paint protector, but does that fit with Zion, who also does most of his work offensively in the paint at this point and wouldn't appreciate the cramped restricted area? Nah.

Then you don't trade with Denver lol

We aren't required to trade Jrue. If you don't get a deal you feel is worth it, you don't do it.
    I feel that MPJ is worth it. I agree with you but I thought maybe you thought there was a better package they could offer.

I may have gone too far

https://tradenba.com/trades/Zk2yt_xAk

A rare example of a 3 team trade where multiple teams would say no.

Phoenix aren't giving up Booker. Heat aren't giving up Robinson, Herro, Crowder, and Nunn all at once. Pelicans gain nothing by taking Iguodala, his salary is basically the same as Redick's so why they'd do the swap there is beyond me, and we shouldn't want Nunn on the team anyway.

A rare example of a 3 team trade where multiple teams would say no.

Phoenix aren't giving up Booker. Heat aren't giving up Robinson, Herro, Crowder, and Nunn all at once. Pelicans gain nothing by taking Iguodala, his salary is basically the same as Redick's so why they'd do the swap there is beyond me, and we shouldn't want Nunn on the team anyway.
    Pelicans obviously say yes. Heat maybe would if they think their window for a chip is the next couple seasons, Butler is 31 after all. Phx never ever would. But it's fun to think about!

Pelicans obviously say yes. Heat maybe would if they think their window for a chip is the next couple seasons, Butler is 31 after all. Phx never ever would. But it's fun to think about!
    We say yes. Heat probably don't: Redick is good but Robinson offers you the majority of what Redick gives you with slightly better defense (only slightly) and an extra 4 inches of height. Jrue is obviously far better than Herro but are they going to throw away such a young player for an all-in-now move when they made it to the Finals this year with rookie Herro? More probably the run it back and just expect normal rookie growth from him to take them over the line. Same with Bam: they're probably thinking, hey Bam's 22, he was injured in the finals, he won't be injured next year probably, let's just run it back with internal growth.

Would you guys do this trade? I think everyone gets fair value.

Pacers: MPJ, Garry Harris, Lonzo, Darius Miller
    Nuggets: Olidipo
    Pels: Myles Turner

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBirds View Post
    Would you guys do this trade? I think everyone gets fair value.

Pacers: MPJ, Garry Harris, Lonzo, Darius Miller
    Nuggets: Olidipo
    Pels: Myles Turner
    I'd do it, but I don't think Denver would.

Again, why would they do that? Sounds terrible on their end.

Dude probably just doesn't realize Vlade is out.

Thread Information