Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Free Agency thread

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar

Free Agency thread

its coming eventually and perhaps we can begin discussing it in our free time.... I wold like to throw out a name who interests me and that would be Davis Bertans of the Wizards.... Melli has a very nice looking jumper, but when it comes to to production and efficiency, he isn't in Bertans' league....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

The major thing that separates Melli and the Latvian Laser as shooters (aside from the fact that Bertans has range out to 30 feet instead of just 25) is that Bertans is not gun shy at all.

Melli, during the brief period of time he was actually pulling threes, was really good. But for the first half of the year and all of the bubble, he was super timid, passed up on a lot of shots, hesitated a lot. Bertans doesn't do that, he just pulls.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The major thing that separates Melli and the Latvian Laser as shooters (aside from the fact that Bertans has range out to 30 feet instead of just 25) is that Bertans is not gun shy at all.

Melli, during the brief period of time he was actually pulling threes, was really good. But for the first half of the year and all of the bubble, he was super timid, passed up on a lot of shots, hesitated a lot. Bertans doesn't do that, he just pulls.
    totally agree! and the bottom line being that Bertans isn't only aggressive, but very effective and efficient as well....if he can only play a little defense.... haha

Hi everyone, first time poster, long time lurker. I wanted to chime in for free agency ideas. Personally, I think our team needs a center who can protect the paint, rebound, and also hit the 3 ball. Basically Favors if he could shoot. I was thinking someone like Aaron Baynes, but he is pretty injury prone so idk if he is the answer. Looking at the center free agency list, this year is pretty thin on these types of players. Any thoughts on a player to fill this type of role for us?

Dae, what do you think about going after Aron Baynes? I think if we're looking for a stretch 5 he might be our best option, someone we can get relatively cheap on a short term deal as a stopgap while we figure out our longterm future at center.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    Dae, what do you think about going after Aron Baynes? I think if we're looking for a stretch 5 he might be our best option, someone we can get relatively cheap on a short term deal as a stopgap while we figure out our longterm future at center.
    He is who I would like for a couple of years while the team grows. I just worry about his injury history. Pay him 10-15 mil for a 2 year contract kinda deal. I'd do it if push came to shove but no more than the 2 years. No need to hamstring ourselves if it doesn't work out ALA Ashik

To play C i'd be targeting guys like Isaiah Hartenstein, Nerlens Noel, Dragon Bender and Alex Len.

They can either shoot the 3 or are athletic for the lob.

I don't want to pay a 35 year old Baynes who's body is breaking down quicker than Favors.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    To play C i'd be targeting guys like Isaiah Hartenstein, Nerlens Noel, Dragon Bender and Alex Len.

They can either shoot the 3 or are athletic for the lob.

I don't want to pay a 35 year old Baynes who's body is breaking down quicker than Favors.
    The problem with the ''we must get youth over age'' mindset is signing someone like Dragan Bender, who is just flat not very good, over Baynes.

I wouldn't want to pay Baynes a ton, or for a long time, but I would sign him. I'd be very sceptical about giving any sort of payday to Dragan Bender.

Probably not really worth digging into free agency with the cap being uncertain. Probably can be big buyers in luxury tax teams offloading talent.

The problem with the ''we must get youth over age'' mindset is signing someone like Dragan Bender, who is just flat not very good, over Baynes.

I wouldn't want to pay Baynes a ton, or for a long time, but I would sign him. I'd be very sceptical about giving any sort of payday to Dragan Bender.
    Mate, none of those guy's will get a 'pay day' except maybe Noel. The rest will be lucky to get much above BAE or the min.
    Worth a risk IMO.

Plus the Pel's can't pay Baynes more than the BAE or MLE.
    He isn't worth more than the BAE in my opinion.
    If he comes for that sure, but for BAE he will go to a contending team.

I am using my BAE and or MLE on a Jae Crowder and Augustin.
    Then signing Favors with birth rights and paying the min for Bender or Hartenstein.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Mate, none of those guy's will get a 'pay day' except maybe Noel. The rest will be lucky to get much above BAE or the min.
    Worth a risk IMO.
    I was saying payday because it sounds nicer than saying ''waste a roster spot on''.

Let me rephrase it more clearly. ''I'd be very sceptical about wasting a roster spot on Dragan Bender''.

Hartenstein or Noel, that's a different issue. That's a conversation worth having. Bender? Not interested.

I think we should explore a trade of Holiday for Caris Lavert. We know KD is high on Jrue as a defender, and he would really solidify their backcourt. Caris is a great scorer and pretty good passer. Personally I think he's better than Jamal Murray.he fits our timeline and Jrue(who I love) goes to a real title contender.

Quote Originally Posted by PeliKhan View Post
    I think we should explore a trade of Holiday for Caris Lavert. We know KD is high on Jrue as a defender, and he would really solidify their backcourt. Caris is a great scorer and pretty good passer. Personally I think he's better than Jamal Murray.he fits our timeline and Jrue(who I love) goes to a real title contender.
    I think LeVert is older than most people think. He's obviously not ancient, but Levert will be 27 next season (assuming the season runs a bit longer than usual due to late start). He's not like, 23 or something, he's basically in what should be his prime.

I also think that LeVert's injury history is real and worrying. He played 45 games this year, 40 games last year, 71 games the year before, and 57 the year before that. Every couple of months it seems to be something new with him.

- Stress fracture in left foot, sophomore year of college
    - Re-injured the same foot, junior year of college
    - Unrelated leg injury cost him a bunch more games in his senior year
    - Ended his senior year with a third surgery on the same left foot: this kept him out a bunch of his rookie season
    - Missed 10 games due to various lower body injuries sophomore NBA season
    - Dislocated his right foot in his 3rd NBA season, missed 42 games
    - Thumb injury cost him 2 months this season

Some of that (thumb injury for example) is just bad luck in isolated incidents. But his lower body appears to be made of straw, just constantly injured and aggravated. Feet made of splinters.

And that's before you even get to his play, which has never reached the level people often talk about him as if it has. Never had a positive net rating, hasn't hit league average TS% since his rookie year (which shows up in mediocre %ages pretty much everywhere on the floor), and he's never fared particularly well in stats like PIPM either. This is backed up by an eye test that shows poor decision making, a kind of pass-blind offensive mentality at times (doesn't integrate his passing with his scoring, when one is turned on the other is often turned off), and overall subpar defense.

I think there could be quite the bidding war for Jrue by the deadline next season if he's made available. A lot of contenders would love to add him. We can do better than LeVert tho

Wow I didn't realize Lavert was that old.. I still like the trade tho TBH. Maybe we get some picks to go along with him. I don't know who else we could target for a holiday trade and I do think this off-season is the time to move him while he still has alot of value, particularly to someone like BKN.

I think LeVert is older than most people think. He's obviously not ancient, but Levert will be 27 next season (assuming the season runs a bit longer than usual due to late start). He's not like, 23 or something, he's basically in what should be his prime.

I also think that LeVert's injury history is real and worrying. He played 45 games this year, 40 games last year, 71 games the year before, and 57 the year before that. Every couple of months it seems to be something new with him.

- Stress fracture in left foot, sophomore year of college
    - Re-injured the same foot, junior year of college
    - Unrelated leg injury cost him a bunch more games in his senior year
    - Ended his senior year with a third surgery on the same left foot: this kept him out a bunch of his rookie season
    - Missed 10 games due to various lower body injuries sophomore NBA season
    - Dislocated his right foot in his 3rd NBA season, missed 42 games
    - Thumb injury cost him 2 months this season

Some of that (thumb injury for example) is just bad luck in isolated incidents. But his lower body appears to be made of straw, just constantly injured and aggravated. Feet made of splinters.

And that's before you even get to his play, which has never reached the level people often talk about him as if it has. Never had a positive net rating, hasn't hit league average TS% since his rookie year (which shows up in mediocre %ages pretty much everywhere on the floor), and he's never fared particularly well in stats like PIPM either. This is backed up by an eye test that shows poor decision making, a kind of pass-blind offensive mentality at times (doesn't integrate his passing with his scoring, when one is turned on the other is often turned off), and overall subpar defense.
    Agree. Lavert is not someone I would trade Jrue for unless we were getting other assets in addition. His injury history really worries me.

in a feeble attempt to bring this thread back to upcoming free agency.... I would like to add Jerami Grant as someone to think about, consider, and discuss....I thought Aron Baynes was some solid input....another guy that is available, and might well be worth a look, is one that we had already (and I have never learned why we let him get away) and that is Christian Wood...
    Last edited by ramsters60; 09-16-2020 at 12:17 AM.

The Franchise
    Does anyone think Malik Beasley is possible? I?d like him but don?t think we can afford him. If he falls in the 12-15 million range it be great but think he?ll end up closer to 20.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Does anyone think Malik Beasley is possible? I?d like him but don?t think we can afford him. If he falls in the 12-15 million range it be great but think he?ll end up closer to 20.
    I don't think there are too many teams who could pay that much for him. Even at 12-15mil, I do not think we could afford him.

When we going to hire a coach, mannnnn...

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    When we going to hire a coach, mannnnn...
    I mean, Griff was pretty explicit like 3 weeks ago or something that some of the coaches they wanted to interview were still in the bubble at the time and that they would be in absolutely no rush.

So when you consider that names like Ty Lue were hugely pushed as candidates in the media, and the Clippers only got eliminated like a week ago, it's not too surprising that a patient process has not yet resulted in a hire.

Seasons over. Time for the off the wall, completely implausible, fantasy trade ideas. Bout time to I'm bored af with no new pelicans news.

https://tradenba.com/trades/8h_C0xVle

Make it happen, Griff!

Seasons over. Time for the off the wall, completely implausible, fantasy trade ideas. Bout time to I'm bored af with no new pelicans news.

https://tradenba.com/trades/8h_C0xVle

Make it happen, Griff!
    No way they'd do it but I'd be damned interested

Duncan Robinson and Herro around Zion would make for some brilliant spacing.

No way they'd do it but I'd be damned interested

Duncan Robinson and Herro around Zion would make for some brilliant spacing.
    Idk man, maybe they really want Jrue. Yeah they were in the finals, but will they want to run it back the same? Maybe they think Jrue gives them a better shot.

I doubt it but I really like me some Duncan Robinson. He showed alot of improvement on the defensive end and is a lights out shooter. Reminds me of Klay. Would love to have him on our team..

Thread Information