Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Billy Donovan #1 on the wish list

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Do you disagree that Westbrook is a black hole as a primary option and career playoff choker?

Do you disagree that KD is a beta star like AD who only can win by latching on to a bigger star?
    I agree that Westbrook is not as great a player as some people think. I would not call his problem that he's a ''black hole''.

I wouldn't say that about KD, no. He was the man in OKC and he led them to multiple deep playoff runs including the finals.
    Basketball.

He's won almost 61% of his games and averages nearly 50 wins a season. I think it is silly to dismiss him just because he has not won a title. I would hope we at least talk to him and put his name into consideration. However, he has enough cache to demand some say so in roster makeup and I am not sure Griffin will give him that. Also, he made $6 million last year.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    He's won almost 61% of his games and averages nearly 50 wins a season. I think it is silly to dismiss him just because he has not won a title. I would hope we at least talk to him and put his name into consideration. However, he has enough cache to demand some say so in roster makeup and I am not sure Griffin will give him that. Also, he made $6 million last year.
    I wasn't dismissing him because he hasn't won a title. I was dismissing the idea that he's a must-hire, number 1 priority, immediate sure-fire selection. I'll say it again: interview him if he wants to come in for interview, consider him, keep the door open, but that's it. He's another option.

Would absolutely love Donovan! He would be a perfect fit here. I still have my list of college coaches I would love to have and he is right at the top of that list. He just happens to be in the NBA with experience. Please make this hire!

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I think he might actually like to just coach knowing how stressful the NBA already is. We would be built just like the Saints and I’m sure Sean Payton would like some say with the roster. Which he does have quite a bit but could definitely have full say somewhere else. Any great organization imo listens to the coach as well with all having input on personnel and rosters. I think Griffin, Langdon, and Donovan could all work very well together.

Let’s see.... a coach with 5 straight winning seasons in the NBA (only seasons in the NBA) with 2 previous NCAA championships ..., list of retreads who have never won a thing,...., list of assistants who have never won a thing,.... retread who has only won with LeBron, .... or the first NBA head coach with a vagina. Hmmm tough decision .
    Great post! Dead on accurate. I’m with signing a few coaches but they come with a very similar and near exact pedigree out of college. Donovan just happens to have experience winning at a very high % on a high level and was very good at managing 2 stars that I’m sure was extremely difficult. We have a young team with great attitudes that I’m sure he would love to help grow along. There is not a better candidate out there for us. Coach Pop didn’t even make the playoffs this season but people want to talk about 1st round exits like it is some tell all statistic. In his first 5 seasons I think he went through arguably more issues then any coach ever and held it together pretty well with 5 straight playoffs appearances. For me he would solidify our organization as hands down the best from top to bottom.

Do you disagree that Westbrook is a black hole as a primary option and career playoff choker?

Do you disagree that KD is a beta star like AD who only can win by latching on to a bigger star?

Also, you completely dismissed him making it to the Western Conference finals in his first season.
    Dude. He made it to the conference finals with unquestionably the best roster in his NBA career. The same team that choked (term used way too often but applicable here) a 3-1 lead to Warriors, WITH KD. Attaching abstract narratives to players like "career playoff choker," and "beta star" doesn't draw away from the tangible reality of the talent Billy has had throughout his OKC tenure, talent he has consistently failed to maximize.

This current CP3-SGA-Gallo core for instance had no business losing in the first round to Houston, and that they even managed to take the series to 7 with a coach literally allergic to making adjustments (playing a cooked Steven Adams an entire series against a team that renders him completely useless on both ends) is honestly a miracle. Dude only kept his job in OKC for so long because he's buddies with Presti, he should never get another NBA coaching gig for as long as the earth revolves around the sun.

I want Minty back

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I want Minty back
    Me too. He took the fall for a miserable situation in the front office.

I just want NOP to be on the list of possible destinations for Donovan and all top coaches on the move. If salaries don’t match up when they get to brass-tax, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I want Minty back
    I miss Minty too

What does Tim Floyd do these days?

I wouldn’t hate Donovan, but he certainly isn't my top choice.

With Billy Donovan leaving OKC, he goes to #1 on my wish list. He will undoubtedly lead us to be a consistent winning team.
    I WAS SAYING THE SAME THING WHEN I HEAR HE WAS FIRED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    Dude. He made it to the conference finals with unquestionably the best roster in his NBA career. The same team that choked (term used way too often but applicable here) a 3-1 lead to Warriors, WITH KD. Attaching abstract narratives to players like "career playoff choker," and "beta star" doesn't draw away from the tangible reality of the talent Billy has had throughout his OKC tenure, talent he has consistently failed to maximize.

This current CP3-SGA-Gallo core for instance had no business losing in the first round to Houston, and that they even managed to take the series to 7 with a coach literally allergic to making adjustments (playing a cooked Steven Adams an entire series against a team that renders him completely useless on both ends) is honestly a miracle. Dude only kept his job in OKC for so long because he's buddies with Presti, he should never get another NBA coaching gig for as long as the earth revolves around the sun.
    CP3-SGA-Gallo core for instance had no business losing in the first round to Houston, I STARTING TO LAUGH BUT YOU WAS SEERIOUS.. OKC HAD NO BUSINESS GOING 7 GAMES AGAINST HOUSTON. HOUSTON IS FLAT OUT A BETTER TEAM AND BILLY DID AN INREDIBLE JOB PUTING THAT TEAM IN THE PLAYOFF!!!

Donovan is worth an interview, but there are others that I think we should look at starting with the number 1 guy on my list, Mark Few. He has the best win percentage of any major college basketball coach ever that has at least 500 wins at 83 percent. He may be able to be convinced to leave Gonzaga for this job. Maybe not, worth a shot.

Rumor going around he wants to return to college

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/fl...-college-2020/

Im hesitant on Donovan because I have no idea what his core tenants and coaching philosophy is. Does he favor one side of the floor? High pace? Does he explicitly believe in adaptability or is he genuinely clueless?

Nothing really stands out to me other than he did a good job with that OKC roster this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Rumor going around he wants to return to college

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/fl...-college-2020/
    This is just somebody speculating that he could go back to college. I don’t see why unless a big program throws a lot of money at him. He is in the NBA where he will likely get paid more than what any college program will pay him.

Don't know a ton about available coaches, I'm hoping they go with a young promising guy though. Maybe someone out of college. Try to find your own stud coach instead of picking the best resume of guys who lost their job. I don't think you exactly need to work miracles with this team anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't think we should pick our next coach by just pulling up the W% of every person who has already been a head coach and just grabbing the highest name off the pile.
    But in the same light, should we eliminate a coach who has had a lot of success but has lost early in the playoffs for someone who has no record at all? The reality is, none of us know how a coach will perform with these players. We may need to focus more on philosophy, schemes, tendencies, etc to see how a coach "fits."

I think after yesterday's game i think we need to add Wes Unseld Jr to the mix

I think those that are throwing shade towards Donovan don't understand how hard it is to win in the NBA. Talent alone doesn't cut it (see 8 bubble games we just played) Ball hogs like Westbrook add to the difficulty along with Stat grabbing players out for only themselves. I like Donovan and would like to see what he could do with our core. He has to be on our list as a good veteran head coach who is not ancient. But, I think we need to interview some up and coming assistants like Dan Craig, Darvin Ham and Stackhouse

People are throwing shade at every single guy that show up on the market. It?s kind of hilarious. People suddenly think a Brad Stevens is out there to hire. Guys like Spoelstra and Nurse was hired within so their respective teams had a lot of time to evaluate these guys.

People thinking that hiring someone else?s assistant is the answer but more often than not those guys fizzle out or become treadmills at best.

It?s the unknowns about a candidate that makes people excited for whatever reason.

As many have observed, when you are a head coach in the NBA the Xs&Os are the easy part. You've got to manage a lot of talent and egos and get system buy-in from guys who've been stars and the focus of attention most of their lives and who also are generally paid more than you are. Not easy.

Donovan seems credible as a culture-builder. Lue I'm more wary of if just because the LeBron gravitational distortion field is so strong. Basically Lue had a constituency of one in Cleveland and didn't last a month into the season after LeBron left for L.A. I'm not sure what kind of track record that amounts to as a team builder.

In general it seems like established coaches like Donovan and Lue may be more inclined to go coach an established roster that's closer to contending. The Pels may do better going the Spoelstra/Nurse route and opting for a dynamic young coach on the rise or a proven developer of young talent, like Atkins.

Thread Information