Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Billy Donovan #1 on the wish list

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    But in the same light, should we eliminate a coach who has had a lot of success but has lost early in the playoffs for someone who has no record at all? The reality is, none of us know how a coach will perform with these players. We may need to focus more on philosophy, schemes, tendencies, etc to see how a coach "fits."
    I never said we should eliminate Donovan.

This is the distinction. The thread gets started saying that Donovan should be number one on the list, high priority, immediately should be pegged as the guy.

I respond saying bring him in for interview, but there's no reason to prioritise him immediately or consider him as some kind of must-have prospect.

For some reason everyone responds to me as if I said that we should throw his application in the bin without even looking at it.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I never said we should eliminate Donovan.

This is the distinction. The thread gets started saying that Donovan should be number one on the list, high priority, immediately should be pegged as the guy.

I respond saying bring him in for interview, but there's no reason to prioritise him immediately or consider him as some kind of must-have prospect.

For some reason everyone responds to me as if I said that we should throw his application in the bin without even looking at it.
    Probably because you took a pretty hardline angle on him criticizing him heavily. It came across as you being completely against him. Sorry if misread.

I agree, consider your stance and what you want to convey and how it is perceived. Point of view has an awful lot of perspective to offer!

Donovan for me is hands down at the top of my list right now for available coaches from the NBA. I have already listed my wish list for college coaches to come in the same mold as a Donovan/Stevens.. Tony Bennett out of Virginia is my #1 who I have ahead of Donovan. He would be an A+ hire and fit very well with this team and what we want to do. Mark Few out of Gonzaga is a 2a/2b right there with Donovan and I think I would lean towards Few who would be a home run hire as well. Jay Wright of Villanova and Chris Beard of Texas Tech round out the end of my list. If we can land any of these 4 college coaches or Donovan I would be ecstatic. All of them fit the age range and most importantly have the pedigree that rivals just about an coach out there.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 09-17-2020 at 05:55 PM.

And not coming here.

Byeeeeeeeeee, thread. I barely knew ya.

Nice hire Chicago! Now let’s see if we can get another LeBron minion to coach, so we can maintain this franchise as a farm team.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Nice hire Chicago! Now let’s see if we can get another LeBron minion to coach, so we can maintain this franchise as a farm team.
    For real! It's a shame Billy Donovan is basically a superhero, the last coach in existence who isn't a LeBron peon. Tragic.

Since we haven't heard a peep from out of the Pelicans Roost, I'm starting to wonder if Jason Kidd isn't their target. The deafening silence would make sense as the 'Kidd' is currently preoccupied in the Lakers Playoff Run.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Since we haven't heard a peep from out of the Pelicans Roost, I'm starting to wonder if Jason Kidd isn't their target. The deafening silence would make sense as the 'Kidd' is currently preoccupied in the Lakers Playoff Run.
    Or Wes Unseld Jr, who was widely credited with the Nuggets' comeback against the Clippers.

Or it could just be them doing the whole ''we're going to take this super slow'' thing that they said they would about a month ago.

Gawd I hope not, I’d rather not have the guy widely suspected of breaking Giannis’s jump shot in charge here to break Zion’s and undo the little bit of progress Vinson made with Zo’s.

Worst case scenario

I like Wes. Lue is no for me, JKidd is a hard NO.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Don't let fear rule your reason. The deafening silence also makes sense if we are seriously taking our time and refusing to rush this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Don't let fear rule your reason. The deafening silence also makes sense if we are seriously taking our time and refusing to rush this.
    I wonder how much this kind of rush reaction is people forgetting the information the team already put out, or just deciding not to believe it?

Like, shortly after we played our final game, Gentry was let go and Griff did a fairly lengthy interview where he said that there was going to be no rush, some of the coaches we wanted to interview were still in the bubble, and because we had no plan for certain on when next season started, there was going to be a long and slow evaluation process.

Well, a 4 teams are still in the bubble (featuring all kinds of assistants) and a bunch of other coaches only left the bubble within the last 2 weeks. The playoffs are still ongoing, and the start of next season has been pushed back again.

It makes total sense, knowing those facts and that the team is already planning on going slowly, that we haven't heard news yet: it's not even October yet, the finals aren't even locked in.

Or..........guest cosches.

We won't have a head coach. We will have a series of guest coaches. Like four games a piece. You come in like Gordon Ramsey, lay out some knowledge, give some inspiring speeches. Then move on.

After the all-star break, we bring back our favorite guest coaches for a pseudo-coachoff. The winner of the coachoff leads us in the playoffs.

Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Can?t believe he?s going to the damn Bulls!! I wanted him so bad too. I wonder if we even tried to get him. I can?t believe he already picked a team before the season is even over. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Can?t believe he?s going to the damn Bulls!! I wanted him so bad too. I wonder if we even tried to get him. I can?t believe he already picked a team before the season is even over. Oh well.
    Don't worry we are gonna poach a coach from an all world talented team and stable organization to one that has little talent and stability. WHAT. CAN. GO. WRONG

I would argue that even if Donovan came here and got us to the playoffs and not a chip it would be a step up from the past and begin to cement our legacy as a playoff team and attract talent/fans. Now of course we want to win a chip...but baby steps isnt the worst idea out there either. I just hope we get a coach that wins games.
    Last edited by Pels4Life; 09-30-2020 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Or..........guest cosches.

We won't have a head coach. We will have a series of guest coaches. Like four games a piece. You come in like Gordon Ramsey, lay out some knowledge, give some inspiring speeches. Then move on.

After the all-star break, we bring back our favorite guest coaches for a pseudo-coachoff. The winner of the coachoff leads us in the playoffs.

Didn't WWE do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Didn't WWE do this?
    Yep, during what was widely viewed as one of the worst periods in company history.

Thread Information