Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Billy Donovan #1 on the wish list

Billy Donovan #1 on the wish list

With Billy Donovan leaving OKC, he goes to #1 on my wish list. He will undoubtedly lead us to be a consistent winning team.

Agreed. Griff can’t pass up on this opportunity here.

Consistently losing in the first round
    Basketball.

I'm on this boat big time.

I think this year has artificially inflated Donovan's image to a lot of people because the Thunder entered the year and everyone expected them to miss the playoffs, but then they didn't and they were actually good.

But that isn't cause Donovan made them overachieve, it's because everyone expected them to strip the team for parts and sell off all their good players for more assets. They didn't, so they were better than people thought because they had a really solid core lineup and CP3 was a top 15 player.

That doesn't mean Donovan was actually an incredible coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think this year has artificially inflated Donovan's image to a lot of people because the Thunder entered the year and everyone expected them to miss the playoffs, but then they didn't and they were actually good.

But that isn't cause Donovan made them overachieve, it's because everyone expected them to strip the team for parts and sell off all their good players for more assets. They didn't, so they were better than people thought because they had a really solid core lineup and CP3 was a top 15 player.

That doesn't mean Donovan was actually an incredible coach.
    Donovan has always been a winning coach. Has he ever had a losing season? He would instantly become the most credible coach ever in the franchise’s history. The only other coach who could come close would be Byron Scott. Sure, let’s pass for an experiment like Becky Hammon or re-tread loser like Gentry.

He is 11th all time in winning percentage for NBA coaches who have coached at least 5 seasons. He has a better winning percentage than Erik Spoelstra who had LBJ, D wade, and Bosh for 4 years. Please, please let me see a ridiculous response on anyone available right now who is a better candidate.

Griffin has to hire this man!
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 09-08-2020 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Donovan has always been a winning coach. Has he ever had a losing season? He would instantly become the most credible coach ever in the franchise’s history. The only other coach who could come close would be Byron Scott. Sure, let’s pass for an experiment like Becky Hammon or re-tread loser like Gentry.
    Billy is going to be out if our price range.

Wherever he goes next he should give CP3 a cut of his salary.

Pass
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Yeah I'd hate to go for a re-tread loser.

Instead we better hire the guy who couldn't get it done with a team that had Westbrook, Durant, and Ibaka on it, and who has been bounced in the first round of the playoffs for the last 4 years straight. That guy is definitely THE guy who will lead us to NBA domination.

See stats above. Your argument is invalid. Westbrook is a choke artist and KD is a beta star like AD.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Yeah I'd hate to go for a re-tread loser.

Instead we better hire the guy who couldn't get it done with a team that had Westbrook, Durant, and Ibaka on it, and who has been bounced in the first round of the playoffs for the last 4 years straight. That guy is definitely THE guy who will lead us to NBA domination.
    I mean, but the proven multi-title winning coach isn't going to be available either.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I mean, but the proven multi-title winning coach isn't going to be available either.
    The unicorn!

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Billy is going to be out if our price range.
    If Gayle isn’t willing to open up the purse strings to win, she should just sell the team. I’d rather the team move to Seattle than be a farm team for stars to waste their youth in mediocrity.

Sure, but it's not like the two choices in the world either hire a coach with multiple rings already, or hire a dude who keeps getting bounced in the first round. There are other options.

In any case, I'm not saying we shouldn't interview him and see what happens. I'm just saying this ideas that he somehow needs to shoot up the #1 on the list of priorities, and that he's a clear best coach available, etc, are not correct. He's just another option.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Sure, but it's not like the two choices in the world either hire a coach with multiple rings already, or hire a dude who keeps getting bounced in the first round. There are other options.

In any case, I'm not saying we shouldn't interview him and see what happens. I'm just saying this ideas that he somehow needs to shoot up the #1 on the list of priorities, and that he's a clear best coach available, etc, are not correct. He's just another option.
    If it's about credentials and winning acumen, he's clearly at the top of the list of the available options.

If Gayle isn’t willing to open up the purse strings to win, she should just sell the team. I’d rather the team move to Seattle than be a farm team for stars to waste their youth in mediocrity.
    You realize it's going to be a bidding war for Billy?

If it's about credentials and winning acumen, he's clearly at the top of the list of the available options.
    I don't think we should pick our next coach by just pulling up the W% of every person who has already been a head coach and just grabbing the highest name off the pile.

lmao. Billy is absolutely awful. No ********ing thanks

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    lmao. Billy is absolutely awful. No ********ing thanks
    man, you are crushing other people's fun...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

I don't think we should pick our next coach by just pulling up the W% of every person who has already been a head coach and just grabbing the highest name off the pile.
    Let’s see.... a coach with 5 straight winning seasons in the NBA (only seasons in the NBA) with 2 previous NCAA championships ..., list of retreads who have never won a thing,...., list of assistants who have never won a thing,.... retread who has only won with LeBron, .... or the first NBA head coach with a vagina. Hmmm tough decision .

Let’s see.... a coach with 5 straight winning seasons in the NBA (only seasons in the NBA) with 2 previous NCAA championships ..., list of retreads who have never won a thing,...., list of assistants who have never won a thing,.... retread who has only won with LeBron, .... or the first NBA head coach with a vagina. Hmmm tough decision .

We can have the discussion or we can't but I'm not going to entertain it if you're going to be so openly insulting about ridiculous things.

We can have the discussion or we can't but I'm not going to entertain it if you're going to be so openly insulting about ridiculous things.
    I am insulted that you dismissed Billy Donovan like he is trash because he hasn’t won a NBA championship coming out the West in the era of the Golden State dynasty. Yet, you haven’t presented me with a candidate with more credibility or better resume.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 09-08-2020 at 10:14 PM.

I am insulted that you dismissed Billy Donovan like he is trash because he hasn’t won an NBA championship coming out the West in the era of the Golden State dynasty.
    If Donovan had lost every year coming up against Golden State we'd be having a different conversation but that's just not the case.

2017, lost in 5 to Rockets
    2018, lost in 6 to Jazz
    2019, lost in 5 to Blazers
    2020, lost in 7 to Rockets

That's 4 first round exits that had literally nothing to do with ''the Golden State dynasty''.

If Donovan had lost every year coming up against Golden State we'd be having a different conversation but that's just not the case.

2017, lost in 5 to Rockets
    2018, lost in 6 to Jazz
    2019, lost in 5 to Blazers
    2020, lost in 7 to Rockets

That's 4 first round exits that had literally nothing to do with ''the Golden State dynasty''.
    Do you disagree that Westbrook is a black hole as a primary option and career playoff choker?

Do you disagree that KD is a beta star like AD who only can win by latching on to a bigger star?

Also, you completely dismissed him making it to the Western Conference finals in his first season.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 09-08-2020 at 10:26 PM.

Thread Information