Pelicans Report

Thread: Jerry Stackhouse?

Jerry Stackhouse?

Kinda surprised nobody has brought this up yet:

https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2020/8...iakam-vanvleet

I really like what Nick Nurse has done with Toronto and this might be the best way to get it here without hiring Nurse’s assistant with his domestic violence baggage.

Thoughts?

I think Stackhouse would be a great development coach. He only had that one year at Vandy and didn't do so great. But it's Vandy. Players loved him and he lost his top scoring during the season.

I am sold on “Stack” — I think he’s the best person for the job right now and in the future. Go get him, Griff!

What is his buyout? You might get a better deal for Calipari. In other words not happening. Gayle still got to pay off Alvin.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    What is his buyout? You might get a better deal for Calipari. In other words not happening. Gayle still got to pay off Alvin.
    Genuinely curious why people seem to be so interested in Calipari. Not necessarily saying you were, here, you just made me think of it. Everytime a HC argument came up, at least while AD was here, people suggested Calipari.

I get that when AD here there was a connection, but Calipari has never been a particularly impressive coach at the college level in terms of actual on-court player usage (obviously gets recruits which is the real job of college coaches, and seems to run at least decent development, but his actual game coaching is real mediocre) and when he did come to coach in the NBA he sucked.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Genuinely curious why people seem to be so interested in Calipari. Not necessarily saying you were, here, you just made me think of it. Everytime a HC argument came up, at least while AD was here, people suggested Calipari.

I get that when AD here there was a connection, but Calipari has never been a particularly impressive coach at the college level in terms of actual on-court player usage (obviously gets recruits which is the real job of college coaches, and seems to run at least decent development, but his actual game coaching is real mediocre) and when he did come to coach in the NBA he sucked.
    I was simply giving an example. Not realistic for either.

I was simply giving an example. Not realistic for either.
    I know, that's why I said ''not necessarily saying you were'' interested in Calipari. But like I said, he's come up a lot in the past and I wish I understood the fascination.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333 View Post
    I am sold on “Stack” — I think he’s the best person for the job right now and in the future. Go get him, Griff!
    NO DO NOT GRIFF!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdee2019 View Post
    NO DO NOT GRIFF!!
    Why not?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Why not?
    Already under contract somewhere else. You going to pay the University?

Already under contract somewhere else. You going to pay the University?
    Teams do this most of the time when hiring a college coach. You negotiate a buyout. Some ambitious coaches have NBA out clauses in their contract or pre-negotiated. If he's the guy (I don't know whether he is or not), I don't think it would be a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    Teams do this most of the time when hiring a college coach. You negotiate a buyout. Some ambitious coaches have NBA out clauses in their contract or pre-negotiated. If he's the guy (I don't know whether he is or not), I don't think it would be a big issue.
    Gayle won’t do it . She is still paying Gentry 5 million to go away. Remember that. Buyouts are in the millions. I doubt Gayle will spend much to get an unproven coach
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 09-08-2020 at 11:22 AM.

My gut feeling they know what they want and that person is still in the bubble.

My gut feeling they know what they want and that person is still in the bubble.
    I feel the same way. I hope his name is not Kidd.

Gayle won’t do it . She is still paying Gentry 5 million to go away. Remember that. Buyouts are in the millions. I doubt Gayle will spend much to get an unproven coach
    There is no indication that Gentry was ever paid 5 million a year. Even his orginial deal was 4 year 13.7 million at #.45 million a year.

Sad thing about it... The 2021 season was a team option that was opted in by Griffin. Another Mistake.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...up-by-pelicans

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...leans-pelicans

The 2019 extension was gtd salary while 2020-21 contract was to be performance-based. So, it doesn't look like it was even GTD that much.

I wouldn't have a problem with Stackhouse, but I think I would prefer Sam Cassell. There are tons of options for the next head coach and I don't really have a list of guys I want as much as a list of guys I don't want, like Kidd, Mark Jackson, Van Gundy, etc.

I like Stackhouse and think he could be a good fit with our young team. My worry is his little coaching experience by just getting in the business recently. I think he has had enough time though to where I would be ok. He just isn’t in my top 5 coaches but he is one of the candidates and if signed I’ll be a happy camper. Right now my list in order is Billy Donovan FL/OKC - 55, Tony Bennett Virginia - 51, Jay Wright Villanova - 58, Mark Few Gonzaga - 57, Chris Beard Texas Tech - 47, and Jerry Stackhouse Vanderbilt - 45. Stackhouse would definitely be high on my list but after these guys and some others if it was my choice.

My favorite assistant in the NBA to run this ship is former Pelicans Coach Paul Silas son John Silas. Super Smart kid who is a graduate of Brown. He has learned under some very unique and great coaches. I’m sure he picked up some good offensive concepts coaching under Don Nelson for 4 seasons as an assistant along with getting very valuable experience being an assistant under Rick Carlisle since 2018. He was even an assistant with the Hornets in 02’-03’.. At just 47 years old he would be a great fit here and the new good upcoming coach imo.. if he goes to the right scenario..

My sleeper pick as an assistant to pluck is David Vanterpool. He was an assistant with the Blazers for 7 season directly working with Lillard and CJ being credited with lots of their success. Last season he was promoted to associate Head Coach with the TWolves and is known as a defensive guru. At just 47 years old he would be another great fit similar to Silas to grow with our young team. He has been on the Head Coaching radar around the NBA for a while now. You will be hearing his name anyway as the new HC of some team. Very possibly this season and I would be fine if it was us.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 09-09-2020 at 02:12 AM.

Thread Information