Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would you want budenholzer if the bucks fire him?

Hall of Famer

Would you want budenholzer if the bucks fire him?

could be coming soon, especially since they will be fighting to keep giannis there

Difficult to say. On one hand I'm fully confident that he would be a good regular season coach, would be able to work well with our defense, etc.

On the other hand, I also know that in 3 or 4 year's time when we're making deep playoff runs we will hate him for the same reason he's on thin ice with the Bucks now. He didn't learn his lesson from ATL going to MIL, and I have no idea why we'd expect him to learn it now coming from MIL if he came to NOLA.

Do you hire a coach to ''stabilise'' the franchise knowing full well you're going to have to kick him to the kerb in a few years to get anything done in the playoffs? Nah.

If you're so desperate to get a Budenholzer/Bucks alumn, just interview Darvin Ham. Hopefully he knows how to play guys more than 36 minutes.
    Basketball.

No question. The team still needs to win in the regular season. He will at the very least do that while load managing your star player in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    No question. The team still needs to win in the regular season. He will at the very least do that while load managing your star player in the process.
    Sure, but unless you have a reason to suspect he's suddenly figured out that he's allowed to play people heavy minutes in the post-season, then you know you're going to have to replace him in a few years.

Do you really try and construct your new team by firing Gentry after year 1, then firing Bud in year 4 or 5, and then having to take another swing at things?

Surely you just try and get someone who will stick now, rather than taking someone you're fairly sure will be a stopgap coach.

I already feel like the next coach will be a stopgap no matter who it is. The coach who comes on board will have very little power and say in the construction and the direction of the team. Griffin has made it fairly clear in his press conference.

I already feel like the next coach will be a stopgap no matter who it is. The coach who comes on board will have very little power and say in the construction and the direction of the team. Griffin has made it fairly clear in his press conference.
    You might as well kiss Zion's tenure here goodbye then. You don't get anywhere by flipping through coaches every two or three seasons. It's just not how good teams run. 3 or 4 coaches within Zion's first 7 years (that's how long you get control for) is basically begging him to walk. Makes the franchise look unstable, prevents a team from building continuity and an identity, etc.

If you hire a coach and things break in such a way that you end up having to get rid of them in a couple of years then that sucks, but it happens. On the other hand, if you hire a coach knowing in advance that they're definitely not the guy, then it's your fault when it fails.

You’re being a bit dramatic. The team have a good 6-7 years to get it to work.

You’re being a bit dramatic. The team have a good 6-7 years to get it to work.
    When you begin a build around a rookie that you think is going to be special, you essentially have 7 years to get it 'there'.

The reason it's 7 is that that's how long you have your special young player for, guaranteed (unless they demand a trade). So that's your timeline to make serious progress. By the end of that deal, most players are about 26 years old, so they're starting their prime and they want to be winning.

We've just had Zion's year 1. It ended with a crushing disappointment and Gentry getting fired.

Let's say you then hire Budenholzer, and he's better. We become a good regular season team, coached pretty well, but make no real championship contention noise for the completely predictable Budenholzer reasons, and then in Zion's year 4, you fire Bud.

Now you have to find a brand new coach and hope that they can get you over that hump in 3 years to be a real contender. Why would you waste years 2, 3, and 4 on Budenholzer if you're going to be on this hunt again anyway? Why not just search for that new coach in the first place and give them 6 seasons to work, instead of 3?

Hall of Famer
    The minutes issue is def a problem with bud, but i ll defend him here. Giannis is a flawed star. His lack of shot and bricking free throws is a huge issue.

Middleton and lopez were carrying him for a while in this game. It happened last year vs toronto and he hasn't fixed his game at all.

You could say bud should have him playing out of the post and just surround him with shooting, but this maimi defense is legit. Spo would figure that out fast as well. He needs to improve his skill level, but its. Very low right now for a soon to be 2 time mvp

Hall of Famer
    Also no idea why they reisgned bledsoe so quick, brogdon Is a much better fit . Its a lowkey big loss for the bucks
    Last edited by Speakthetruth; 09-04-2020 at 09:10 PM.

Nobody discussing Erik Spoelstra’s assistants?

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Nobody discussing Erik Spoelstra’s assistants?
    Point them out , what's the name of them

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Point them out , what's the name of them
    Dan Craig
    Assistant Coach Malik Allen
    Assistant Coach/Director of Player Development Chris Quinn
    Assistant Coach/Player Development Octavio De La Grana

Hall of Famer
    Yea I would look into any good coach teams assistant

Including Brad stevens

Nick nurse

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    The minutes issue is def a problem with bud, but i ll defend him here. Giannis is a flawed star. His lack of shot and bricking free throws is a huge issue.

Middleton and lopez were carrying him for a while in this game. It happened last year vs toronto and he hasn't fixed his game at all.

You could say bud should have him playing out of the post and just surround him with shooting, but this maimi defense is legit. Spo would figure that out fast as well. He needs to improve his skill level, but its. Very low right now for a soon to be 2 time mvp
    The problem is also that Bud won't play Middleton or Lopez either: nobody on this Bucks team is getting over about 34 minutes with any regularity. Budenholzer has an allergy to playing guys for real minutes: it has nothing to do with Giannis in particular, Bud just doesn't get it.

And it's nothing to do with playing Giannis out of the post either. The problem is that Giannis is fundamentally a movement big who has auxiliary dribbling skills and good passing. He's an elite roller for this reason: he puts up something like 1.56 points per possession on rolls, which is incredible. So what does Bud do? He gives Giannis the ball at the top of the key, puts 4 stationary shooters around him and tells him to create like a wing. Boggling.

This works somewhat in the regular season, when Giannis' size and speed overpowers people and the Bucks can really get transition going, but when it's the playoffs and it comes down to half court basketball more frequently and your opponent has time to figure you out, it gets old. Coaches need to be able to adjust what they're doing to fit their opponent and response. Spoelstra does this, Nurse does this, Stevens does this. Budenholzer hasn't made one (1) real adjustment in this entire playoffs so far, and he switched back to his normal scheme before the end of the half. I

It's just not good enough. Complete coaching malpractice.

Edit: Also, Bud has used Giannis as a roll man like 11 times in this entire series so far. That number might be a touch off, but it's not by much. Just zero interest in doing it, despite it being incredibly effective on the rare occasions they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The problem is also that Bud won't play Middleton or Lopez either: nobody on this Bucks team is getting over about 34 minutes with any regularity. Budenholzer has an allergy to playing guys for real minutes: it has nothing to do with Giannis in particular, Bud just doesn't get it.

And it's nothing to do with playing Giannis out of the post either. The problem is that Giannis is fundamentally a movement big who has auxiliary dribbling skills and good passing. He's an elite roller for this reason: he puts up something like 1.56 points per possession on rolls, which is incredible. So what does Bud do? He gives Giannis the ball at the top of the key, puts 4 stationary shooters around him and tells him to create like a wing. Boggling.

This works somewhat in the regular season, when Giannis' size and speed overpowers people and the Bucks can really get transition going, but when it's the playoffs and it comes down to half court basketball more frequently and your opponent has time to figure you out, it gets old. Coaches need to be able to adjust what they're doing to fit their opponent and response. Spoelstra does this, Nurse does this, Stevens does this. Budenholzer hasn't made one (1) real adjustment in this entire playoffs so far, and he switched back to his normal scheme before the end of the half. I

It's just not good enough. Complete coaching malpractice.

Edit: Also, Bud has used Giannis as a roll man like 11 times in this entire series so far. That number might be a touch off, but it's not by much. Just zero interest in doing it, despite it being incredibly effective on the rare occasions they do.
    So you’re using Giannis’ roll man efficiency from the regular season yet saying the 4 shooters with Giannis creating is only effective in the regular season yet not the playoffs? I see no reason Giannis as a roller would not also drop in efficiency in the playoffs, especially considering Bledsoe just shrinks in the playoffs, and Middleton isn’t quick enough to put pressure on the rim.

I see no issues with bringing in bud. You’re overreacting to his flaws. And if he’s the coach before the coach that isn’t unusual in the timeline of a rookie star. (Jordan, Dirk, Curry)

D’Antoni may save his job if he wins this series.

That is hard no. I

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    So you’re using Giannis’ roll man efficiency from the regular season yet saying the 4 shooters with Giannis creating is only effective in the regular season yet not the playoffs? I see no reason Giannis as a roller would not also drop in efficiency in the playoffs, especially considering Bledsoe just shrinks in the playoffs, and Middleton isn’t quick enough to put pressure on the rim.

I see no issues with bringing in bud. You’re overreacting to his flaws. And if he’s the coach before the coach that isn’t unusual in the timeline of a rookie star. (Jordan, Dirk, Curry)
    The numbers I gave for Giannis' roll man efficiency are from the playoffs so far, including the Orlando series. So Orlando series + first 2 games of the Miami series.

And Gentry already was the coach before the coach. You're talking about you're talking about bringing in the coach before the coach after the coach. See how that's a little extra step?

The numbers I gave for Giannis' roll man efficiency are from the playoffs so far, including the Orlando series. So Orlando series + first 2 games of the Miami series.

And Gentry already was the coach before the coach. You're talking about you're talking about bringing in the coach before the coach after the coach. See how that's a little extra step?
    ok my bad, thats a tiny sample size though. I think it's troubling Bud hasnt made adjustments, but we need to establish SOME winning first imo and bud can at least do that. we're a talented young team but so is Minny, Memphis, Atlanta, Phx

Jordan had 3 coaches before Phil.

A lot can change in 5 years and thats really our timetable to get on the championship track.

Sure everyone would love to strike gold on the next IDK brad stevens? for the next hire but it's far more likely you get an Alvin Gentry when hiring an unknown. Bud has his limitations but he's not going to irrecoverably wreck a franchise with a 2nd year Zion, another Gentry absolutely would.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    ok my bad, thats a tiny sample size though. I think it's troubling Bud hasnt made adjustments, but we need to establish SOME winning first imo and bud can at least do that. we're a talented young team but so is Minny, Memphis, Atlanta, Phx

Jordan had 3 coaches before Phil.

A lot can change in 5 years and thats really our timetable to get on the championship track.

Sure everyone would love to strike gold on the next IDK brad stevens? for the next hire but it's far more likely you get an Alvin Gentry when hiring an unknown. Bud has his limitations but he's not going to irrecoverably wreck a franchise with a 2nd year Zion, another Gentry absolutely would.
    I don't think Bud would wreck the franchise, I just think that he would be a dead end. Decent caretaker coach, sure, but if I know that he's not the coach of the future - which I think we probably do know - why would I waste 2 or 3 years on him before ''trying out'' a new coach during our win-now period, when I could do the trying out now and have someone in place that I trust in time for us to be in ''win now'' mode?

I get that you can argue about us never reaching win now if the next coach sucks bad enough, that's a fair argument, but that's not really an argument in favour of Bud, it's just an argument in favour of someone who doesn't suck completely. Which might be Bud, but it could be a bunch of other people too.

I am a yes. Dae’s criticism are fair, however, I would argue he is more than a decent caretaker coach. His best teams with the Hawks ran into Lebron , and these Bucks teams don’t have a top 20 player outside of Giannis. We saw Ty Lue win a championship without exhibiting any of the coaching acumen Bud has shown. Point blank I think he is a top ten coach in the league. I would put him 7th behind Nurse, Stevens, Pop, Carlisle, Kerr, and Spo. I think Dae has said his top realistic pick would be Becky Hammond. I would rather have the guy who I know is a top ten coach in the league despite his flaws, than swinging for the fences with the new up and coming assistant. There is an important caveat here though, I don’t think its a given after year 3,4, or 5 we are looking for a new coach with Bud. It is entirely plausible he wins a championship at some point somewhere. Part of the problem with objectively looking at Bud as a candidate is extreme recency bias.

Quote Originally Posted by bogiesfedora View Post
    There is an important caveat here though, I don’t think its a given after year 3,4, or 5 we are looking for a new coach with Bud. It is entirely plausible he wins a championship at some point somewhere. Part of the problem with objectively looking at Bud as a candidate is extreme recency bias.
    I don't think it's guaranteed that we'd be looking for a new coach, I just think it's likely. The problems he's showing now with the Bucks are tendencies he also had with the Hawks, they just weren't as disastrous on the Hawks because that wasn't a team that revolved around a Batman/Robin combo like the Bucks do. It was more of a collective effort, which is why spreading minutes more evenly wasn't a huge problem there.

The issue for me is that Bud has been a HC for 7 years total, and the problems he has now are the problems he had 5 or 6 years ago. Again, it didn't show too badly back then because nobody expected those Hawks to win rings anyway and they had no star, but he's treating a 2x MVP and DPOY like he treated Jeff Teague or Kent Bazemore, and it's just not good enough. If he recognised this after last year and fixed it this year, that would be fine. Hell, if he recognised it now and fixed it, that would be fine, but here we have the Title Favourites for most people down 0-3 in the 2nd round because of these problems, and Bud is still telling people in interviews that he thinks 36 minutes is the upper limit on minutes he'll allow.

That's just obstinate. That's refusing to learn. That's why I don't expect him to win a ring anytime soon: he has preconceived game plans that he cannot adjust, and even the idea of deviating for the plan is unthinkable for him. Rigid coaching like that doesn't win rings.

I don't think it's guaranteed that we'd be looking for a new coach, I just think it's likely. The problems he's showing now with the Bucks are tendencies he also had with the Hawks, they just weren't as disastrous on the Hawks because that wasn't a team that revolved around a Batman/Robin combo like the Bucks do. It was more of a collective effort, which is why spreading minutes more evenly wasn't a huge problem there.

The issue for me is that Bud has been a HC for 7 years total, and the problems he has now are the problems he had 5 or 6 years ago. Again, it didn't show too badly back then because nobody expected those Hawks to win rings anyway and they had no star, but he's treating a 2x MVP and DPOY like he treated Jeff Teague or Kent Bazemore, and it's just not good enough. If he recognised this after last year and fixed it this year, that would be fine. Hell, if he recognised it now and fixed it, that would be fine, but here we have the Title Favourites for most people down 0-3 in the 2nd round because of these problems, and Bud is still telling people in interviews that he thinks 36 minutes is the upper limit on minutes he'll allow.

That's just obstinate. That's refusing to learn. That's why I don't expect him to win a ring anytime soon: he has preconceived game plans that he cannot adjust, and even the idea of deviating for the plan is unthinkable for him. Rigid coaching like that doesn't win rings.
    I would have to go back and check, but I would assume this is the first series he has been favored in that he is going to lose. The Hawks were dogs against the Cavs, and I have to imagine the Raptors were the favorites in the ECF last year (which was a competitive series). Something like what we are seeing may be what he needs to change. Your criticisms are warranted though.

Thread Information