Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach

NBA Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach

Deciding to completely skip out on any kind of re-tread, the Nets scoop Steve Nash up to begin his coaching career in Brooklyn.

What do we think?
    Basketball.

That came out of nowhere.

One of the few jobs that could be considered by some as "more appealing" than New Orleans is off the board, so I'm okay with that.

Interesting. I wonder if Grif. had him on his wish list.

I am fine with this hire for them. I find it odd that people want to make this a case of white privilege when Jason Kidd, Lenny Wilkins, and Derek Fisher didn’t have coaching experience either.

There is always a narrative.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    There is always a narrative.
    ALWAYS

BTW: I think you can add Doc Rivers to your list
    Last edited by As I See It; 09-03-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Ty Lue hired as head coach fir tge 76ers too.

This seems like an odd hiring for that teams goals next year. I imagine you want a coach with some experience. But Nash is a smart guy and coaching is more about in game feel than X's and O's.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 09-03-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    This seems like an odd hiring for that teams goals next year. I imagine you want a coach with some experience. But Nash is a smart guy and the coaching is more about in game feel than X's and O's.
    According to some experts it’s not about the X’s and O’s, and according to some experts it’s about the system, according to some experts it’s about fit with players. In the end I think the title expert is self titled.

Most rumours flying around seem to indicate that Durant wanted Nash, probably based on the time Durant spent in GS where Nash was a consultant.

There's obviously a big problem, not necessarily in outcome but just process, in hiring a guy just because you have players who like them, but that's the burden you accept when you go whole hog like Brooklyn have and sign multiple big names and then fire your coach because those big names want their friend to play more minutes.

Also, just figured I would mention it here because I feel like it's one of my lowkey most impressive things in NBA history:

Between 2004-5 and 2011-12, over a span of 603 games, Nash averaged 24 points and 16 assists per 100 on 51/44/91 splits.

Over 600 games at that efficiency is just bonkers. 62.4% TS across that entire period; led the league in TS% twice and was in the top 10 in TS% another 5 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Also, just figured I would mention it here because I feel like it's one of my lowkey most impressive things in NBA history:

Between 2004-5 and 2011-12, over a span of 603 games, Nash averaged 24 points and 16 assists per 100 on 51/44/91 splits.

Over 600 games at that efficiency is just bonkers. 62.4% TS across that entire period; led the league in TS% twice and was in the top 10 in TS% another 5 times.
    Wow...just wow.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

One of the best PGs ever. So fun to watch.

Top-5 PG of all time right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    Oscar
    Cousy
    Magic
    Curry
    West
    Stockton
    Paul
    Parker
    Payton
    Isaiah
    Bing
    Wilkins

All these guys did it over a career. Nash was only special for about five years. That's not to demean what he did, but, rather, to give the others their props.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Oscar
    Cousy
    Magic
    Curry
    West
    Stockton
    Paul
    Parker
    Payton
    Isaiah
    Bing
    Wilkins

All these guys did it over a career. Nash was only special for about five years. That's not to demean what he did, but, rather, to give the others their props.
    5 years?

Unquestionably.

Magic, Big O, Curry, CP3, Nash, Stockton.

That's really the top 6. Obviously you can shuffle the order about a bit, but that's just how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    5 years?
    Yeah, kind of nuts. The idea that say, Tony Parker, was a better PG than Nash is kind of a joke to be honest. No offense to Parker.

Yeah, kind of nuts. The idea that say, Tony Parker, was a better PG than Nash is kind of a joke to be honest. No offense to Parker.
    Even with his best years in Phoenix his lifetime is 14.3 /8.5 / 3.0 (17,387 TP).

Tony Parker: 15.5 / 5.6 / 2.7 (19,473 TP) .

But the biggest difference between the two is 4 - 0. (That's the number of rings Parker has v Nash)

Kind of a joke, indeed. LMAO

BTW: the fact that you didn't include Jerry West or Gary Payton in your top 5/6 is mind boggling.

Truth be told, Nash is on par with Allen Iverson though Iverson is the much better scorer.

Hey, what do I know.....you're the expert!!!

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Even with his best years in Phoenix his lifetime is 14.3 /8.5 / 3.0 (17,387 TP).

Tony Parker: 15.5 / 5.6 / 2.7 (19,473 TP) .

But the biggest difference between the two is 4 - 0. (That's the number of rings Parker has v Nash)

Kind of a joke, indeed. LMAO

BTW: the fact that you didn't include Jerry West or Gary Payton in your top 5/6 is mind boggling.

Truth be told, Nash is on par with Allen Iverson though Iverson is the much better scorer.

Hey, what do I know.....you're the expert!!!
    The irony in this post is next level. Jerry West is a SG, and Gary Payton was, is, and never will be a top 5 PG. What do you know...

The irony in this post is next level. Jerry West is a SG, and Gary Payton was, is, and never will be a top 5 PG. What do you know...
    Sorry Funcrusher, didn't you know that if Steve Nash wanted some rings he should have simply been smart enough to play on a team with Tim Duncan? If he was so good, why wasn't he on the Spurs dynasty, huh?

I also love how he included total points. Conveniently left off total assists, where Nash is 3rd all time and Tony Parker doesn't crack the top 15.

Also doesn't mention efficiency, where Nash is a lifetime 49/43/90 compared to Parker's lifetime 49/32/75.

Unquestionably.

That's really the top 6. Obviously you can shuffle the order about a bit, but that's just how it is.
    Bruh you really put these cats over Thomas? 🤦🏽**♂️
    I'm a grinder

Basketball Guru
    Unquestionably.

curry,,cp3,,nash,,stockton over isaiah thomas?.....you cant just roll with stats when it comes down to thomas....

Sorry Funcrusher, didn't you know that if Steve Nash wanted some rings he should have simply been smart enough to play on a team with Tim Duncan? If he was so good, why wasn't he on the Spurs dynasty, huh?

I also love how he included total points. Conveniently left off total assists, where Nash is 3rd all time and Tony Parker doesn't crack the top 15.

Also doesn't mention efficiency, where Nash is a lifetime 49/43/90 compared to Parker's lifetime 49/32/75.
    The all important TP. Give me total points over just about every box score and impact metric painting Nash as comfortably better, plus my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Bruh you really put these cats over Thomas? ����**♂️
    Yep. Go back and watch IT. Fantastic player, absolutely. Well deserving of that HoF position. Better than any of those guys? Not really.

Thread Information