Pelicans Report

Thread: Ettore Messina

Ettore Messina

What are peoples thoughts on him? I know he isn’t with Spurs anymore and is back in Europe. How he never got a head coaching job is beyond me. I have been intrigued with him after hearing Pop talking, listening to him speak I think Woj did a podcast with him at one point, and watching some of his instructional videos. The knocks would be age, but I feel confident in saying he would build a successful and sustainable culture around the team. I also think Trajan played for him as well.
    Last edited by bogiesfedora; 08-27-2020 at 11:56 AM.

I understand the desire for Messina, absolutely. He's probably one of the most accomplished coaches alive who hasn't been an NBA head coach at some point.

In case anyone isn't familiar with his accomplishments:
    - 4x Euroleague Champion
    - 2x Euroleague Coach of the Year
    - 6x Italian League Champion
    - 7x Italian Cup Winner
    - 6x Russian League Champion
    - 4x Russian League Coach of the Year

Also spent 5 years as an NBA Assistant coach with the Spurs, coached in the 2016 All-star Game.

The issue you mention as well is age; he's already 60. I preferably want a coach under 50. This is at least partly because in a perfect world you want the next coaching hire to be the perfect fit, who can hang around for the next 10 years. If a coach is already 60+, that's even more unlikely than it usually is, and it's not like teams keep coaches that long often anyway.
    Basketball.

Messina wanted/wants Pop tier control and influence in an organization, it would never work with Griffin.

That is also rumored to be a big reason why he opted for Europe. He would rather be home and happy than accept a less than optimal position(in his mind) in the NBA.

I think the fact that Trajan Langdon is highly thought of in European Circles could work in Pelicans' favor with regard to Messina. Personally, I still would prefer a younger man/woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I understand the desire for Messina, absolutely. He's probably one of the most accomplished coaches alive who hasn't been an NBA head coach at some point.

In case anyone isn't familiar with his accomplishments:
    - 4x Euroleague Champion
    - 2x Euroleague Coach of the Year
    - 6x Italian League Champion
    - 7x Italian Cup Winner
    - 6x Russian League Champion
    - 4x Russian League Coach of the Year

Also spent 5 years as an NBA Assistant coach with the Spurs, coached in the 2016 All-star Game.

The issue you mention as well is age; he's already 60. I preferably want a coach under 50. This is at least partly because in a perfect world you want the next coaching hire to be the perfect fit, who can hang around for the next 10 years. If a coach is already 60+, that's even more unlikely than it usually is, and it's not like teams keep coaches that long often anyway.
    YES THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!! HAVE HIM BRING A UP AND COMER AS HIS ASSISTANT COACH TO LEARN UNDER HIM!!

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I think the fact that Trajan Langdon is highly thought of in European Circles could work in Pelicans' favor with regard to Messina. Personally, I still would prefer a younger man/woman.
    YES YES HOPE GRIFFIN THINK THE SAME

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Messina wanted/wants Pop tier control and influence in an organization, it would never work with Griffin.

That is also rumored to be a big reason why he opted for Europe. He would rather be home and happy than accept a less than optimal position(in his mind) in the NBA.
    I BELIEVE THEY CAN WORK TOGETHER!!

Thread Information