Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Non-NBA Boycott discussion

I stand with the players. I’m not black so I can’t speak to black people’s struggles, so if they say that this is an issue to them, I will side with them. If they feel sitting out will help them fight the system, who am I to stand in their way? These great folks are Our brothers and sisters, not animals in a circus.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I stand with the players. I’m not black so I can’t speak to black people’s struggles, so if they say that this is an issue to them, I will side with them. If they feel sitting out will help them fight the system, who am I to stand in their way? These great folks are Our brothers and sisters, not animals in a circus.
    They should fight for what they believe is right. The problem is, you have to make sacrifices to do so. I don’t think all of the athletes are on the same page with the boycott. Again, time will tell, but they don’t appear to be on the same page.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Do some of these professional athletes...the ones with multimillion dollar endorsement deals with clothing manufacturers who utilize overseas sweatshops (often involving child laborers working in abhorrent working conditions)....ever look for other social causes to lend their names to? Just asking.
    Wow this is a ridiculous question. Why do they have to fight for that cause? Why are they assigned to solve the world's problems before standing up for their own causes? Why are you so threatened by blacks wanting equal treatment from police?

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Do some of these professional athletes...the ones with multimillion dollar endorsement deals with clothing manufacturers who utilize overseas sweatshops (often involving child laborers working in abhorrent working conditions)....ever look for other social causes to lend their names to? Just asking.
    So this isn't enough? They need to walk on water and be Jesus or shut up?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Don't know how to embed tweets. Here's a very specific set of wants from the Baltimore Ravens. Very on-point and on-topic I think.

https://twitter.com/Ravens/status/12...910517760?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    They should fight for what they believe is right. The problem is, you have to make sacrifices to do so. I don’t think all of the athletes are on the same page with the boycott. Again, time will tell, but they don’t appear to be on the same page.
    Well then it’s a good thing that they are stepping away from the game, and meeting as a union to figure out what they want. Don’t let a stupid sport get in the way of social progress.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Well then it’s a good thing that they are stepping away from the game, and meeting as a union to figure out what they want. Don’t let a stupid sport get in the way of social progress.
    I think the problem is particularly with the players that are in contract years. If they cancel the season, that can be seriously damaging to their negotiations. I can’t really blame them for thinking twice about it. They have families to take care of.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Don't know how to embed tweets. Here's a very specific set of wants from the Baltimore Ravens. Very on-point and on-topic I think.

https://twitter.com/Ravens/status/12...910517760?s=20
    Excellent. That last bullet seems like it should be directed at LEO, but they probably had to throw that in there.

Exactly what NBA players should do next. Who can be mad at anything in that list? All legitimate. Nice start.

Now look at all the sick white supremacists go nuts on twitter.

I don’t why I came in here thinking this would be anything than what it is.

The players chose to strike (not boycott) for the reason this thread is active on a fan site, additional discussion! The Black Lives Matter slogan on the floor, and messages on jerseys haven’t lead to real change and some players want and expect more.

Call them unfairly optimistic, but some of them thought bringing attention to these issues by prominent black athletes would help. While I’m sure it has helped in ways unseen to the masses, finishing this season isn’t going to change police killing unarmed black people. Or prevent Kyle from killing two people and walking past the police with the murder weapon on his chest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information