Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Something good will fall to #13 or trade it?

Pelicans Something good will fall to #13 or trade it?

Not really upset about this. Will something good possibly fall thus as hidden gold? Or should we just trade the pick and look for something much better and experienced?

Lots of scoring guards available at 13.

Nesmith or Okoro. See you in October.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Nesmith or Okoro. See you in October.
    Actually the commish was not confident about the Dec.1 start date minutes ago. Could be looking at January or February start next season.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Actually the commish was not confident about the Dec.1 start date minutes ago. Could be looking at January or February start next season.
    Draft is in October, fam. That won't get delayed. I perfer a Christmas start.

Plenty of good shots to take around 13.

Odds are that at least one of Pokusevski, Vassell, Okoro, Maxey, or similar will still be on the board.

Then you have some guys like Riller who might be a reach in terms of value, but I think would still be good picks for our team.

Could always move down (not really sure why in such a flat draft but hey, whatever, maybe you just think some players suit a different draft spot for salary reasons or whatever) and get a Tillman or similar in the 20s. Plenty of options.
    Basketball.

The Franchise
    Poku is 2-3 years from playing in the nba. Okungwu or Vassell would be my 2 targets. I think Vassell with his length at the 2 would be awesome. Good def, improving 3pt percentage, decent at creating, and like the upside.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Poku is 2-3 years from playing in the nba. Okungwu or Vassell would be my 2 targets. I think Vassell with his length at the 2 would be awesome. Good def, improving 3pt percentage, decent at creating, and like the upside.
    Vassell's gonna be gone by 13, I think. He's had a real rise in public opinion over the last 6 months and I've seen him regularly in the top 10 in mocks.

If he's still there at 13 then yeah he's great, I'd take him.

I’ve seen a lot of mocks with Vassell going at 9. If he’s our guy we could of course trade up for him.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I’ve seen a lot of mocks with Vassell going at 9. If he’s our guy we could of course trade up for him.
    Don't bother. Trading up in this draft is really bad value unless you think you can get an absolute franchise guy. Expending any significant assets to move from 13 to 9 in this draft is horrible value imo

Either package this pick to go after someone or take the best player available.

End of story. This is one of the worst drafts in a long time.

This draft is only bad if you’re looking for an all star or superstar talent. It’s great if you are looking for a rotational piece. It’s not a bad draft where the Pelicans sit.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    This draft is only bad if you’re looking for an all star or superstar talent. It’s great if you are looking for a rotational piece. It’s not a bad draft where the Pelicans sit.
    I agree with this. The problem with this draft is not that there are no good players in it, the problem is that there are no really super star or even high star level prospects evident (obviously Antman and LaMelo could be that, but they would have to hit very high end outcomes).

If what you're looking for is just good players cause your team needs good players, and they're relatively cheap for a couple of years, then this draft is perfectly fine: especially if you're drafting outside the top 10, because then contracts get reasonable too. Drafting a probably meh player #1 and paying them $10m a year: bad. Drafting a decent roleplayer at #13 and paying them $3.5m a year (that's Tyler Herro, from this year, btw) is totally cool. Good value, even.

For us, in this draft, I'm fine at 13. I'm even fine with our pick at 39. Can get solid value on those picks, for that contract price.

I also want to note that while this is frustrating for fans of teams who obviously want to draft the next Lebron or Doncic or Zion or AD or whatever every year, it's very very important that the NBA keeps a steady stream of roleplayers coming in. Teams need those guys

Take a look at another draft renowned for being kind of awful like 2001. No, there was no Lebron James in that draft, but we did get Tyson Chandler, Pau Gasol, Joe Johnson, Richard Jefferson, Zach Randolph, Gerald Wallace, Tony Parker, and Gilbert Arenas. That worked out well, didn't it?

Or the 2000 NBA Draft Class, also widely panned. The first three picks were Kenyon Martin, Stromile Swift, and Darius Miles. Whatever you think of those guys, it's almost certainly not ''the top three picks in a draft''. But that draft also gave Jamal Crawford, Hedo Turkoglu, Jamaal Magloire, and Michael Redd. Again, guys who had some good years, picked up awards, and filled out rosters will actually good talent.

Or another year renowned for being a bad draft, especially at the time that it happened, 2013: that was the year Anthony Bennett went #1, not because anyone thought he was a star, but because basically nobody else did at the time either (to mainstream draft people anyway) and so he kind of went by default. Since then, that draft turned out to be full of very very very very good players just in disguise: Giannis, Rudy Gobert, Otto Porter, CJ McCollum, Victor Oladipo, Kelly Olynyk, Steven Adams, Tim Hardaway Jr: that's a couple of stars and a bunch of real good guys to pack your roster with.

Or another example, 2006, the year Andrea Bargnani went 1st overall and Adam Morrison and Tyrus Thomas went 3 and 4. Real rough at the very top of the draft, but 2006 gave us Lamarcus Aldridge, Rudy Gay, JJ Redick, Rajon Rondo, Kyle Lowry, PJ Tucker, and Paul Millsap.

Valuable names, who were never top 5 or even top 10 players (aside from Giannis lol) but that doesn't matter because teams need this guys.

It might suck that there's no obvious Lebron in this class, sure, but the fact is there's a ton of guys who might be a PJ Tucker or a Kelly Olynyk or Richard Jefferson, and guess what? The league needs those guys too. Gotta play more than one guy in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Don't bother. Trading up in this draft is really bad value unless you think you can get an absolute franchise guy. Expending any significant assets to move from 13 to 9 in this draft is horrible value imo
    Because it’s known to be bad, maybe it sill cost less to trade up.

Also, where is Cole Anthony projected?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Because it’s known to be bad, maybe it sill cost less to trade up.

Also, where is Cole Anthony projected?
    At this point, late lottery to early teens.

It's highly probable that they make some moves and will not draft in their current slots. They will either move some of these picks up, down, or traded for future picks/players.

I just can't see this team walking away with another 4 rookies.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    It's highly probable that they make some moves and will not draft in their current slots. They will either move some of these picks up, down, or traded for future picks/players.

I just can't see this team walking away with another 4 rookies.
    We disagree on a lot in this draft, but this is a place where we absolute agree.

Not a single chance that I see this team drafting four new rookies. I can see maybe 3 if one is destined for the G League (if we end up keeping the 60th pick, for example), but I think 4 is a no-go and 2 is more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    We disagree on a lot in this draft, but this is a place where we absolute agree.

Not a single chance that I see this team drafting four new rookies. I can see maybe 3 if one is destined for the G League (if we end up keeping the 60th pick, for example), but I think 4 is a no-go and 2 is more likely.
    This. I'd say in a vacuum I 100% agree with you that trading up is a generally bad idea unless you're getting someone you believe will be an all-star level player. However, we have more draft capital than we can effectively spend, so if there were any year to trade up to get our guy, this would be it.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Draft is in October, fam. That won't get delayed. I perfer a Christmas start.
    Free agency was scheduled to be in October and that is being considered to be pushed back as well. I think at this point everything would be on the table.

I'd use these picks as bargaining chips for a little more seasoned players. If I was in the drivers seat I would wait to Indiana gets knocked out the playoffs and give them a call. I would offer Indiana all three of those second round picks and Derrick Favors(sign and trade) for Myles Turner and Justin Holiday(sign and trade). The Holiday trade is just to see how he and Jrue play together...could be interesting.
    Last edited by Pels4Life; 08-21-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Basketball Guru
    draft vassell or nesmith.....trade jj to the pacers for turner.....draft elijah hughes down the draft....

we got 2 young wings with size that can shoot the 3 and have the ability to play defense.....we got our center in turner for 3 years.......develop our young guys and turn them loose in a couple of years...

zo or naw-PG.....ingram-SG......vassell or nesmith-SF........zion-PF.......turner-C....in 2022 turn those yunguns loose with a solid bench but rebounding may be a problem with that starting unit...

I like the John Hillinger trade idea of

Warriors get Jrue + our 2020 1st
    Pels get Warriors 1st round pick + Wiggins + Wolves 2021 1st round pick.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    This. I'd say in a vacuum I 100% agree with you that trading up is a generally bad idea unless you're getting someone you believe will be an all-star level player. However, we have more draft capital than we can effectively spend, so if there were any year to trade up to get our guy, this would be it.
    I can certainly see them moving up to get Kira Lewis Jr, or an even bigger move to go get Killian Hayes. Then using whatever they have left to fill that rebounding/defensive hole at the 5.

Unlike the 7 round NFL draft, there is some urgency to fill needs in the NBA draft. Or try to match BPA with need by moving up or down.

Everybody keeps saying the draft doesn't have good end toplayers; but I just think it's that noone is sure of which ones they are.

The conference tournaments and NCAA tournaments are where these kids have always seperated themselves from one another, and since we missed them it just may be possible the really good ones are still there at 13th.... Take Nesmith. He only played like 14 games if he had came back and lit up the tournents and kept his 52 percent three point rate (at that volume) he'd be a legend,

P

Thread Information