Pelicans Report

Thread: Mike D'Antoni being monitored if Houston gets bounced early?

Hall of Famer

Mike D'Antoni being monitored if Houston gets bounced early?

Hard pass.

no thamk you!!! but HOUSTON WILL BE BOUNCE EARLY!! THEY CAN WILL IT ALL

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Hard pass.
    Yeah not interested.
    Basketball.

Yeah, he has a system, and it’s not very good when the pressure is on. Pass.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Comes from the Gentry coaching tree. Yeah pass. Actually I think Gentry was the assistant in PHX but you get the idea. We don’t need another Gentry.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm ready for a defense first philosophy coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'm ready for a defense first philosophy coach.
    I'm ready for a coach who doesn't show up with a pre-determined plan for what the team's style is going to be without considering the personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm ready for a coach who doesn't show up with a pre-determined plan for what the team's style is going to be without considering the personnel.
    I have seen it reported several times over the last few days that Gentry has the most rotations over the last 5 years, but who were the coaches with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th most rotations. I need some context when people lay out facts like that. It’s like when people say “buy stocks, the markets up!” Well which stocks, in which market?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I have seen it reported several times over the last few days that Gentry has the most rotations over the last 5 years, but who were the coaches with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th most rotations. I need some context when people lay out facts like that. It’s like when people say “buy stocks, the markets up!” Well which stocks, in which market?
    Not rotations, starting lineups. At least, that's the number I've seen.

And it's not a good thing. There's no surprise that the one year we had fewer than 20 starting lineups in Gentry's tenure is the one year we made the post season.

140 different starting lineupsin 400 games.

Yes, thats right, the most starting lineups. So my question is, who followed that? What coach had the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th most starting lineups? I need some points of reference here.

Yes, thats right, the most starting lineups. So my question is, who followed that? What coach had the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th most starting lineups? I need some points of reference here.
    Okay so I could manually check every team for the last several years, but I'm not going to do that because I don't want to.

But just to compare from the last two seasons (obviously last season had more games than this season, keep that in mind when last years numbers are larger than this years)

2019-20 New Orleans Pelicans: 23 starting lineups
    2019-20 Milwaukee Bucks: 13 starting lineups
    2019-20 Toronto Raptors: 16 starting lineups

2018-19 New Orleans Pelicans: 27 starting lineups
    2018-19 Toronto Raptors: 20 starting lineups
    2018-19 Milwaukee Bucks: 16 starting lineups

You can see that we play a not insignificant number more than a pair of the better teams in the NBA

Thanks for the info, where can I pull that info from (it’s a slow period as we are now out of deal season at work), so I would love to pull those numbers and get some context.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    140 different starting lineupsin 400 games.
    But IIRC, we've also been one of the most injured teams during that period of time, by a wide margin. That would have a significant effect on who's available to be in the starting lineup. I mean, I'm no Gentry fan, but we do have to be fair about this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    But IIRC, we've also been one of the most injured teams during that period of time, by a wide margin. That would have a significant effect on who's available to be in the starting lineup. I mean, I'm no Gentry fan, but we do have to be fair about this.
    Exactly. Presenting all facts is key in this exercise to give color to just what Gentry was working with, and how he fared compared to his peers.

Thanks for the info, where can I pull that info from (it’s a slow period as we are now out of deal season at work), so I would love to pull those numbers and get some context.
    Basketball Reference.

When you go on any team, there's a row of options. One of those options is ''More 2019-20 Pelicans Pages'' or whatever the year and team is you've chosen. Click that, you get a drop-down menu: one of the options there is ''Starting Lineups''. You can click that and it will show you every starting lineup that team used that year: you just have to count the number of different ones.

Thanks. I will look into it later. In true 2020 fashion today has been a disaster. I went to ride my bike today and my tire blew out. When I called my wife to pick me up (as I was 10 miles from home) she came in my car as the battery had died in hers. When I went to change the battery my 10mm socket fell into the guts of the car. Screw me.

Thanks. I will look into it later. In true 2020 fashion today has been a disaster. I went to ride my bike today and my tire blew out. When I called my wife to pick me up (as I was 10 miles from home) she came in my car as the battery had died in hers. When I went to change the battery my 10mm socket fell into the guts of the car. Screw me.
    Sounds like you've had the full gamut of sod's law mate, sorry to hear that. Hope things look up soon!

Thread Information