Pelicans Report

Thread: Griffin: “Brandon Ingram...is a 2 Guard.”

Griffin: “Brandon Ingram...is a 2 Guard.”

Anyone catch that ? Hint hint hint . Jrue or Lonzo or both will get moved!

Grif going in on a big catch this offseason?

I think that's reading a lot into a very context-dependent statement.
    Basketball.

I think he meant the weight of a 2 guard.
    Not sure how his footwork is quick enough to stay with guards. Length can only help so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think that's reading a lot into a very context-dependent statement.
    I think Grif will go for a big catch in F.A.or moving pieces in trades.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I think Grif will go for a big catch in F.A.or moving pieces in trades.
    I don't disagree that he'll probably move Lonzo or Jrue, maybe even both if something dramatic happens, and that he will be making roster changes. That's probable.

I just think it's a big jump to make from that particular statement, where he was basically talking about Ingram's play style in comparison with his height.

Is this from the press conference? Can you at least link it so we know exactly what he was talking about?

Some of yous have a habit of taking things to the moon.

I really don't want Ingram being a 2 guard, but he is the only one on the roster with good enough shooting to be the defacto shooting guard that isn't 37 years old till Ingram grows into the 3.

I guess their image for NAW is running the point. Which he has the passing potential to be a facilitator.

I hope they aren't implying Zion to the 3 and Hayes to the 4 till he fills out to be a 5. Then, get a true center in FA. That's some struggle ball nonsense.

I rather try not to fix what isn't broken unless maybe the draft plan is to get another wing(Okoro or Nesmith or maybe both) and we go to a double wing set. Which IDK... that can be very boom or bust. And you need a real Superstar Facilitator and the 1 & 2 guard be good shooters to make that work.
    Last edited by Taker597; 08-15-2020 at 10:29 PM.

I think he meant Ingram, at 6'9", has the skill set of a 2 guard. The context was the talent the team has on its roster for the next coach to indulge him/herself with.

Not that the team wants him to play there.

The end.

Hope so. Here I was thinking they should play Ingram more at the 4 until they find a stretch to compliment Zion...

Also, is Brandon 6'9" or 6'7"? The media is all over the map on this. They are consistent on his wingspan being 7'+.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Is this from the press conference? Can you at least link it so we know exactly what he was talking about?

Some of yous have a habit of taking things to the moon.

It's at about 14:10 into the video, Griff is asked about focus on development that this team had and he says this:

''I would say very, but that's true over every team, and it's true that this group has really good work ethic. I think we've got a group of coaches in the player development area that have done a fantastic job. If you look at the development of Brandon Ingram, who's a 23 year old, 6'9 and a half, two guard at this point, you'd have to say that Joe Boylen and Fred Vinson in particular have done a great job there. Lonzo's shooting and progress that he's made, I could cite chapter and verse on several of our players. We're proud of our development staff and the way that's gone, and it's going to continue to be a critical element of what we do. Again, you're talking about a 23 year old first time all star that should be Most Improved Player, and a great deal of that attributed to the coaching staff.''

So yes, as I said, when you look at the context he wasn't literally saying that BI is a 2 guard, or that he wants BI to play 2 guard, or anything else like that. He's just referring to Ingram's height and skillset combination, which is fine.

People reading it as Ingram being forced into actually being the starting SG of the team, or hearing it as a promise to trade other guards, or whatever, are reading something that isn't really there into it.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I think he meant Ingram, at 6'9", has the skill set of a 2 guard. The context was the talent the team has on its roster for the next coach to indulge him/herself with.

Not that the team wants him to play there.

The end.
    Exactly.

Nowhere did Griff say Ingram is ACTUALLY a shooting guard, or that he's going to be played at the SG position, or anything even really like that. Just that Ingram is ''essentially'' a 6'9.5 2 guard, in terms of his physical ability and style.

The Franchise
    Ingram can, and has played everything from 1,2,3 and 4.. After acclimating he had a lot of success for the Lakers playing at the 1. Also played really well at the 2 after people doubted he could do it. His on ball defense was also better at the 2 when there was an emphasis/priority on defending.

I prefer him at the two where he poses match up problems for shooting guards who aren't tall enough to bother him on the block. They also can't abuse him on the defensive end. He'll also draw instant double teams on the block when posting.

Him being so versatile means Griff has more freedom to pursue a more broad range of talent, sense Ingram can be moved anywhere on the court outside of the 5, and 4..

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    Ingram can, and has played everything from 1,2,3 and 4.. After acclimating he had a lot of success for the Lakers playing at the 1. Also played really well at the 2 after people doubted he could do it. His on ball defense was also better at the 2 when there was an emphasis/priority on defending.

I prefer him at the two where he poses match up problems for shooting guards who aren't tall enough to bother him on the block. They also can't abuse him on the defensive end. He'll also draw instant double teams on the block when posting.

Him being so versatile means Griff has more freedom to pursue a more broad range of talent, sense Ingram can be moved anywhere on the court outside of the 5, and 4..
    I forgot the Lakers played Ingram at PG for a year. I'm with you I like him at the 2. He's has a lot of Paul George in his game and that where I think the focus should be for Brandon moving forward. I know people resist but Zion should be developing as a wing player. The plan as of now sbould be Ingram and Williamson at the wings. All of Zion's off season workouts should have him getting his body ready to play primarily on the perimeter.

With BI playing the 2 and Kidd/Lou pacing the sideline the fans will be headed for the door.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

If it's defensively plausible, it would cause opponents fits.

I can foresee BI playing manning the two...Zion manning the 3....and a player like Laurie Markkanen (via a Jrue Holiday trade maybe) manning the 4. That would cause all kind of problems for opponents defensively.

That's if the team could pick up Kelly Olynyk-type center in free agency to augment these changes.

BI could post up opposing 2's (pick a 2 not named Lebron off of any team).

Zion would dominate any opposing true 3.

If opponents would chose to guard Zion with their 4, Markkanan (7'0" / 240) could post up the their 3.

THREE DEEP

1. Lonzo (still a ?), NAW, Frank
    2. BI, Hart, NAW
    3. Zion, Hart, BI
    4. Markkanan???, Zion, Melli
    5. Olynyk???, JAX, Melli

That's a tree deep roster with 10 players. The mix and match options would be endless.

Note: This doesn't even consider JJ and DiDi goes back to Australia. And, it would ONLY be possible if we could work it out defensively.
    Last edited by As I See It; 08-16-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    If it's defensively plausible, it would cause opponents fits.

I can foresee BI playing manning the two...Zion manning the 3....and a player like Laurie Markkanen (via a Jrue Holiday trade maybe) manning the 4. That would cause all kind of problems for opponents defensively.

That's if the team could pick up Kelly Olynyk-type center in free agency to augment these changes.

BI could post up opposing 2's (pick a 2 not named Lebron off of any team).

Zion would dominate any opposing true 3.

If opponents would chose to guard Zion with their 4, Markkanan (7'0" / 240) could post up the their 3.

THREE DEEP

1. Lonzo (still a ?), NAW, Frank
    2. BI, Hart, NAW
    3. Zion, Hart, BI
    4. Markkanan???, Zion, Melli
    5. Olynyk???, JAX, Zion

That's a tree deep roster with 10 players. The mix and match options would be endless.

Note: This doesn't even consider JJ and DiDi goes back to Australia. And, it would ONLY be possible if we could work it out defensively.

im in the camp of ingram and zion at the 2 and 3.....

alot of posters on this site have went against houston every season saying they wont make the playoffs because they dont play defense then come playoff time its they wont win a title.......if we can put a high offensive team together and get the players to put effort into playing defense then we will be in the playoffs next season...coaching also has some factors into it but with the team you posted we would be able to play inside and a outside game....

Griffin's always thinking two steps ahead. The league's going small? Screw it, we'll throw out a 6'9" shooting guard and a 300lb small forward.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    A lot of small forwards in the draft...Theoretically if you moved Lonzo and Jrue you'd have a lineup of:

NAW
    BI
    ROOKIE/HART
    Zion
    Hayes

With of course whatever else we got from the trades/FA's/remaining depth.

It'd be interesting to see how it'd work anyway (probably not great).
    Last edited by donato; 08-17-2020 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Griffin's always thinking two steps ahead. The league's going small? Screw it, we'll throw out a 6'9" shooting guard and a 300lb small forward.
    The league isn't actually going that small for what it's worth. It's going flexible and multi positional.

The best 10 players in the world is a group that contains 6'9 Lebron, 6'11 Giannis, 6'11 Anthony Davis, 7'0 Jokic, 6'6 Harden, 6'7 Kawhi, etc etc.These are not small people

But what you notice about pretty much all of them is that they can guard more than one position, and play more than one position. Lebron is 6'9 but he can be your PG on offense, guard your SF/PF/C on defense, and help on anyone. Giannis is 6'11, but he can run an offense to some degree, and can defend basically anyone.

It's not size, it's versatility and flexibility. Size helps with that, it's hard to defend a C if you're 6'2, but it's not the be-all-end-all.

Thread Information