Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: No thanks to a retread

My preference would be a top assistant, but could live with a retread if chosen. I am not big on Kidd.

What are peoples thoughts on Brett Brown?
    If the Sixers fail in the first round I think he maybe relieved from his duties.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    What are peoples thoughts on Brett Brown?
    If the Sixers fail in the first round I think he maybe relieved from his duties.
    Just looking at the numbers he was part of some teams that had some success but as of late in his NBA roles, those teams did not do anything special. His NBA record is .362 with 2 losses in conference semis. He also is 59 but maybe age is a positive for him....I'd prefer a younger coach but I can see an argument of experience over drive. All in all, he just reminds me of Gentry in regards to stats. Is he some basketball genius that has yet to be discovered? No idea.

I kinda put him in the same camp as Atkinson and many others spoke about. Losing records with some early success that helped them propel then once in the driver's seat or up high no success shown. I guess for me I favor coaches with winning as a player and shown success while at the captain's chair not just riding success from an assistant role they had at an earlier age.
    Last edited by Pels4Life; 08-18-2020 at 07:39 AM.

Yeah, Brown is Gentry/Monty in he can help develop talent, and he is an average coach, but his message has grown old in Philly. The players might say they love/respect him, but the team won’t win anything with him. Perhaps he will pop up somewhere else (because he is a Pops disciple and he can develop talent), but he isn’t going to wow anyone.

He has had an interesting run though (right?). He went through “The Process”, and then he went through Collangelo’s “helping” right the ship, and now he is working with Elton Brand. All of those GMs have constructed the team differently than the GM before them, and he has been working with some wild roster combinations. The teams have been talented, but the combinations have been like Peanut Butter and Ketchup sandwiches, where they would work in complimenting other things, but they do not work together.

If you want to learn about the 76ers listen to Locked on Sixers. Their reporter Keith Pompey is pretty great in giving the details on that team and he holds no punches. Plus, if you find it hard to sleep his voice is a sedative.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

One of the major issues the Sixers have is roster fit, regardless of Brett Brown.

Of course, Brown doesn't help in some ways, and he's clearly not going to get the most out of this particular team (he said the other day that he doesn't want to run Embiid + four shooters because it would be easier to defend.... what?), but there's only so much you can do when you basically 2 guys on your entire roster who can both dribble and pass.
    Basketball.

This is from another site from someone who lives up in Toronto. I know nothing about it...just looking to get opinions here
    "This is who I would *LOVE* for the Pelicans to get: Jama Mahlalela

He was a Toronto Raptors assistant and ticks all the boxes I'd like to see. Tremendous basketball mind, but surrounds himself with people who know the game better than him. Young, fresh, new blood. Enthusiastic and the players absolutely *LOVED* him, but also respected him.

He wanted to get some head coaching experience and so headed up the Toronto 905 team and has done a superb job. The 905 has a lot of changing pieces, players coming in and out because the Raptors want youth in their lineup.

As a result, they *require* someone that the players will respect but has a ton of energy and passion for the game. He also demands execution of basketball fundamentals. Passing, rebounding. He also works very well with young players who need to develop their game to really ascend.

We have an alum who is an assistant coach for the Raptors and brought Jama to the gym to work with us and our players. He went over some philosophies - but before we got into X's and O's - it was how he starts a practice. What sorts of fundamentals he does on drills. And the offensive schemes weren't complicated, but put a lot of trust in the players to perform.

It was absolutely riveting to hear him talk and coach.

It won't be long until he becomes a head coach in the NBA - I am convinced. And I think it happens sooner rather than later. And I think it would be ideal for the Pelicans to at least bring him in.

IMO, he is pretty ideal for a lot of what I think the Pelicans need."

Quote Originally Posted by Dago75 View Post
    This is from another site from someone who lives up in Toronto. I know nothing about it...just looking to get opinions here
    "This is who I would *LOVE* for the Pelicans to get: Jama Mahlalela

He was a Toronto Raptors assistant and ticks all the boxes I'd like to see. Tremendous basketball mind, but surrounds himself with people who know the game better than him. Young, fresh, new blood. Enthusiastic and the players absolutely *LOVED* him, but also respected him.

He wanted to get some head coaching experience and so headed up the Toronto 905 team and has done a superb job. The 905 has a lot of changing pieces, players coming in and out because the Raptors want youth in their lineup.

As a result, they *require* someone that the players will respect but has a ton of energy and passion for the game. He also demands execution of basketball fundamentals. Passing, rebounding. He also works very well with young players who need to develop their game to really ascend.

We have an alum who is an assistant coach for the Raptors and brought Jama to the gym to work with us and our players. He went over some philosophies - but before we got into X's and O's - it was how he starts a practice. What sorts of fundamentals he does on drills. And the offensive schemes weren't complicated, but put a lot of trust in the players to perform.

It was absolutely riveting to hear him talk and coach.

It won't be long until he becomes a head coach in the NBA - I am convinced. And I think it happens sooner rather than later. And I think it would be ideal for the Pelicans to at least bring him in.

IMO, he is pretty ideal for a lot of what I think the Pelicans need."
    Yeah and he can bring FVV with him.
    Thanks for the info.

This article has several contributors talking about who they think the next coach should be
    https://www.thebirdwrites.com/platfo...e-kidd-jackson
    3 votes for Atkinson, 1 for Stackhouse, 1 for Becky Hammon, 1 for Lue, and 1 for Vamderpool.

Thoughts on them? Think Lue been pretty well covered already

The Franchise
    I want a coach that can grow with the team and not pigeon holed into one system. Go young and let this team gel together.

If you hire Lue for that much, talk about a waste of cash. No to that man. No to Lue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    How much are mediocre coaches are getting paid? Don't tell me 6 million a year.

Not sure how league sources know how much the Pelicans are willing to spend on a coach. Seems to be purely speculation based on what Gentry made.

No to the fired Philly coach and thank god we did not overspend on Horford. Dodged a bullet there.

Sources as in the Athletic?

TBW endorsing D'Antoni? Is Grif. really after him?

https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2020/8...gram-josh-hart
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 08-30-2020 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    TBW endorsing D'Antoni? Is Grif. really after him?

https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2020/8...gram-josh-hart
    I wouldn’t be so against it. IMO we have Dantonis dream roster. He is a better version of Gentry and if it wasn’t for the Warriors and Spurs he probably has a few rings. Coach Pop couldn’t have done anything with the dumpster fire of the Knicks. If Griff can find the right defensive coach to join Dantoni we could be dangerous. I don’t see any options out there that anyone can directly point to and say they are a better coach or fit. Dantoni gets a bad rap for a lot of reasons although some are deserved the majority of them are ridiculous. My main issue and why I don’t see it happening is age. Dantoni is 69 years old and for our team that is just not a great fit.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 08-30-2020 at 09:06 PM.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I wouldn’t be so against it. IMO we have Dantonis dream roster. He is a better version of Gentry and if it wasn’t for the Warriors and Lakers he probably has a few rings. Coach Pop couldn’t have done anything with the dumpster fire of the Knicks. If Griff can find the right defensive coach to join Dantoni we could be dangerous. I don’t see any options out there that anyone can directly point to and say they are a better coach or fit. Dantoni gets a bad rap for a lot of reasons although some are deserved the majority of them are ridiculous. My main issue and why I don’t see it happening is age. Dantoni is 69 years old and for our team that is just not a great fit.
    I’d much rather a young coach to grow with our young team. Like we prob should have done with Mony.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I’d much rather a young coach to grow with our young team. Like we prob should have done with Mony.
    Monty was terrible and it was time to go. Everyone is being blinded by a fluke stretch of wins in the bubble. I agree and would like to grab someone young like we did with him as well but imo he isn’t the right guy here.

I would love to go after one of the college coaches out there. My short list would be Tony Bennett, Jay Wright, Chris Beard, Mike Few and Sean Miller in that order. I like all of these guys and would be very happy to pluck one of these guys out. Tony Bennett our of Virginia is my guy. Our team is a lot like Boston with the players we have along with how it has been built but imo we are more talented and younger with much more future assets as well. I would like to go the same route as they did with Brad Stevens. If the rumors are true on our cap to pay a coach Bennett would still be making 5xs what he does at Virginia. Even with how massively he is underpaid instead of asking for more $ he has asked to school to pay his staff. You just don’t here of stuff like that. I’m sure he would gladly take a big pay day here but he isn’t greedy and would also gladly put some $ aside to have the best staff possible.

I think we have a very attractive team that many coaches interested in making the jump would love to take the job here. Whatever Griffin does I trust he put in the work and found the right guy.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 08-30-2020 at 09:31 PM.

D’Antoni doing what he does best during playoffs. No to him even if TBW likes him.

Not sure what is there to blame D’Antoni about. Chris Paul single handedly took that game from Houston. Coaching wouldn’t have change anything.

That play where Paul sniffed out the play and cut of Westbrook’s lane to the basket and caused the turnover was nothing short of brilliant. That was the best individual defensive play I’ve seen in this year’s playoff. If Paul stays home on the perimeter, that would have been either an easy layup for Westbrook or an open 3 for Harden if the defense collapse.

It was great basketball by Paul.

Thread Information