Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Gentry Fired Per Woj

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I think it was more a problem with the length of the contract than amount. Lakers offered three years; Lue wanted five.
    He didn’t want to get Mark Jacksoned
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think there is a solid debate over which job is more attractive -- us or Brooklyn. But yeah, we are 1 or 2

However, we were by far the most attractive job is 2015. Everyone wanted that job -- Cal had his people calling Benson, Thibs wanted it, SVG wanted it....and the only two guys Dell was really considering was Del Negro and Gentry. Why? Because most of the other top tier guys wanted power beyond just coaching. And like in that situation, we wont give that up this year either. Which, if offered as part of the job, could make other jobs more attractive to top candidates
    Good point. And nice tidbits.

So we have our pick of the litter but it would either be young, hungry guys who can't get all the power, yet, or a retread who's resume doesn't demand the power.

Yeah. It sounds like the board consensus is young and hungry.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I think Lue could be at the top of the list for Griffin. However, if the Nets job opens up, I could see him gravitating there. He would have established stars in place and would not have to develop young talent.

Pelicans

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Good point. And nice tidbits.

So we have our pick of the litter but it would either be young, hungry guys who can't get all the power, yet, or a retread who's resume doesn't demand the power.

Yeah. It sounds like the board consensus is young and hungry.
    I HAVE NO PROBLEM GIVING COACHES MORE POWER, BECAUSE THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS DEMP AND ALVIN / GRIFFIN AND GERITY DO NOT WORK TOGETHER!! THEY DID NOT TO PUT A ROSTER TOGETHER!!
    Last edited by dmarrero; 08-17-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I think Lue could be at the top of the list for Griffin. However, if the Nets job opens up, I could see him gravitating there. He would have established stars in place and would not have to develop young talent.
    I DISGREE FOR ONE / THE PELICANS FROM TOP TO BOTTOM IS BETTER!!!

AGREE 2 REASON. DURANT ANF IRVING

I'd be very nervous about taking the Brooklyn job if my main attraction was Kyrie and Durant.

Durant will be 32 this September, coming off one of the worst injuries a player can have, and hasn't played basketball at any high level for over a year at this point. How sure are we that he's going to return as THE Kevin Durant? Of course his shooting touch will still exist and he'll still be taller and longer than most, but his quickness will almost certainly be diminished and his defense will probably take a significant hit.

Then you have Kyrie who is only 28 but who has ECW style light tubes where his leg bones should be. He hasn't played more than 70 games since 2016-17, and the year before that was only 53. He's constantly injured. This year he played 20 games, and was injured again. His career seems to be on the clock: I'd be stunned if he's still in the league in 5 or 6 years, simply due to injury; we all know he's talented but he's incredibly frail.

Beyond that, you have LeVert, who is also always injured.

The Nets seem like they're one nasty fall away from the entire team disintegrating. If my main reason for going to Brooklyn is for Kyrie and Durant, then that's got to be a concern.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think there is a solid debate over which job is more attractive -- us or Brooklyn. But yeah, we are 1 or 2

However, we were by far the most attractive job is 2015. Everyone wanted that job -- Cal had his people calling Benson, Thibs wanted it, SVG wanted it....and the only two guys Dell was really considering was Del Negro and Gentry. Why? Because most of the other top tier guys wanted power beyond just coaching. And like in that situation, we wont give that up this year either. Which, if offered as part of the job, could make other jobs more attractive to top candidates
    I have no doubt that the power in the organization will centralize around Griffin. That being said, I'd imagine that any coach he settles on after this process would be a guy he would trust in the decision making processes and have heavily included in everything. Unless the candidate we are talking about wants to literally be the coach AND GM, I can't see power struggle becoming too big of an issue. For the most part, coaches who have wanted that much power have not ultimately succeeded in my memory. I'm sure I'm forgetting some massive success story, but I prefer to separate the responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I have no doubt that the power in the organization will centralize around Griffin. That being said, I'd imagine that any coach he settles on after this process would be a guy he would trust in the decision making processes and have heavily included in everything. Unless the candidate we are talking about wants to literally be the coach AND GM, I can't see power struggle becoming too big of an issue. For the most part, coaches who have wanted that much power have not ultimately succeeded in my memory. I'm sure I'm forgetting some massive success story, but I prefer to separate the responsibilities.
    Pop was GM and coach of the Spurs until 2002, so there is some precedent.

Thread Information