Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gentry Fired Per Woj

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Uhh yeah... We missed some shots and we let lead get away from us.
    I remember like two years ago when my account was pretty new, my sig was a quote from Gentry. It was ''it's goin ta be okay''.

I made that my sig because for like 10 games in a row, every time we cut to video of the timeout huddles in game, he would be saying absolutely nothing to the team except ''it's goin ta be okay''.

Classic.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I remember like two years ago when my account was pretty new, my sig was a quote from Gentry. It was ''it's goin ta be okay''.

I made that my sig because for like 10 games in a row, every time we cut to video of the timeout huddles in game, he would be saying absolutely nothing to the team except ''it's goin ta be okay''.

Classic.
    What kills me when Gentry uses the... "We missed some shots or didn't make enough shots" line.

It's like in a 20 or 30 point loss. Like making shots wasn't gonna win us that game.

In a game where we turned the ball over 10+ times, Pulling out players out for Moore or Jackson, get pnr to death, and couldn't defend the 3 pt line.

Mannn... If only we made them shots, I suppose.
    Last edited by Taker597; 08-15-2020 at 06:11 PM.

So is Gentry completely gone from the organization or is he being moved to some cushy office position as many had predicted?

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    So is Gentry completely gone from the organization or is he being moved to some cushy office position as many had predicted?
    To my knowledge, and I have no insider info all I've done is read the press releases, the tweets, and watched Griff's 20 minute interview on the topic, Gentry is gone gone. No new position, just gone.

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    I feel bad for Gentry, but I hope they get the best coach available.
    Gentry will be fine. Still getting 5 million to sit on sofa.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Uhh yeah... We missed some shots and we let lead get away from us.
    Never forget , Drunk Alvin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E2dCPBSisg

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Another thought, I don’t even think Favors played in that game.LOL

Who's available?

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Please no retreads.

Tim Duncan if he is willing.

Or Becky Hammond.
    Last edited by ragincaucasian; 08-15-2020 at 10:03 PM.

The talent is there. Just need to find any coach that emphasizes teaching and growth over style. That means if you need to play slow or play inside out for a few years--then you do that.

Keep in mind that this team already has a unusually large player development staff.

I'm guessing most of them stay, but Gentry, Bzdelik, and Finch are all out.
    Last edited by luckyman; 08-15-2020 at 10:36 PM.

Kenny Atkinson is excellent at player development. The Nets will regret listening to Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant when they fired him. My vote is for Atkinson.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The talent is there. Just need to find any coach that emphasizes teaching and growth over style. That means if you need to play slow or play inside out for a few years--then you do that.

Keep in mind that this team already has a unusually large player development staff.

I'm guessing most of them stay, but Gentry, Bzdelik, and Finch are all out.
    That's something I found encouraging from Griff's interview I transcribed in this thread.

He specified that he doesn't really have a coach's specific playstyle as a priority; that is, he's not looking for a coach who wants to play fast or anything like that. He's looking for a coach who fits the vision and direction of a franchise.

Really, good coaches should be able to play fast or slow depending on the team personnel they have available to them. Adjustments like that are important.

If I was a betting man, I would place all of my money on Lue. I would be shocked if we see anyone else on the sidelines next year.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    If I was a betting man, I would place all of my money on Lue. I would be shocked if we see anyone else on the sidelines next year.
    Reasoning on such certainty?

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    It's going to be 2030 and people are still predicting Lue or Kidd getting the next head coaching job

An interesting tidbit from that Griffin press conference. He stated something like "we are the most attractive coaching job" when asked about if we will rush thr hiring or take are time. I mean, that IS pretty obvious. NOLA isn't New York or LA but it does have a cool flavor. Gayle may not be one of the deepest pockets in the NFL but she is up the list at 12 for the NBA. Arguably the best young roster alongside maybe the 2nd best set of assets in the league. Griffin seems cool. The media pressure is fairly low in NOLA despite the national pressure Zion brings......we really ARE the hottest coaching position to he open for a very long time. We should have our pick of whomever we want. That's just so great feeling sinking in.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    An interesting tidbit from that Griffin press conference. He stated something like "we are the most attractive coaching job" when asked about if we will rush thr hiring or take are time. I mean, that IS pretty obvious. NOLA isn't New York or LA but it does have a cool flavor. Gayle may not be one of the deepest pockets in the NFL but she is up the list at 12 for the NBA. Arguably the best young roster alongside maybe the 2nd best set of assets in the league. Griffin seems cool. The media pressure is fairly low in NOLA despite the national pressure Zion brings......we really ARE the hottest coaching position to he open for a very long time. We should have our pick of whomever we want. That's just so great feeling sinking in.
    I think there is a solid debate over which job is more attractive -- us or Brooklyn. But yeah, we are 1 or 2

However, we were by far the most attractive job is 2015. Everyone wanted that job -- Cal had his people calling Benson, Thibs wanted it, SVG wanted it....and the only two guys Dell was really considering was Del Negro and Gentry. Why? Because most of the other top tier guys wanted power beyond just coaching. And like in that situation, we wont give that up this year either. Which, if offered as part of the job, could make other jobs more attractive to top candidates
    @mcnamara247

I think one inherent element that comes with coaching in New Orleans. As long as I have followed this team we have had a star player (minus the Jackson Vroman/Lee Nailon/ Dan Dickau years), and every year the media has attacked the team for not being a place where stars can flourish, and always pulling for the star player to leave (remember AD the last few years, CP3 before that, Baron Davis before that).

This is a great landing spot for any coach, but any coach that takes the job will have to have the media chirping about that, and that can hurt team chemistry.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Reasoning on such certainty?
    I'd agree Lue is the top in picks. Lue and Griffin have history at Cleveland, Lue has shown he can get the job done granted he did have Lebron but none the less, Lue also has great basketball record as both a player and coach. Also to note Lue turned down that Lakers job possible due to the offer of a shorter contract giving an indication he is looking for a longer term situation....right up our alley. With all that, Lue is 43 years old so he is still a young coach and can relate to the new players. Bleacher Report stated Chauncey Billups would also be on the staff if hired so that is a plus as he has an extensive career awards/experience.

I find it hard to see any other coach with as many positives/advantages to being the #1 rated pick for coaches.

/me grabs popcorn
    Last edited by Pels4Life; 08-16-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels4Life View Post
    I'd agree Lue is the top in picks. Lue and Griffin have history at Cleveland, Lue has shown he can get the job done granted he did have Lebron but none the less, Lue also has great basketball record as both a player and coach. Also to note Lue turned down that Lakers job possible due to the offer of a shorter contract giving an indication he is looking for a longer term situation....right up our alley. With all that, Lue is 43 years old so he is still a young coach and can relate to the new players. Bleacher Report stated Chauncey Billups would also be on the staff if hired so that is a plus as he has an extensive career awards/experience.

I find it hard to see any other coach with as many positives/advantages to being the #1 rated pick for coaches.

/me grabs popcorn
    I think the general arguments against Lue are as follows:

- Yes he won in Cleveland, but that was with Lebron. It's hard to judge Lebron led teams in that way, cause they always win regardless of who the coach is.

- He got fired in Cleveland because he wanted to play JR Smith and co, his vets he trusted, over the young players. If he came here, would he also seek to bury the youth behind older players because he trusts them more? If so, that's actively against what this franchise needs.

- Because he was previously employed by Griff, it would feel like just Griff hiring his old friends. After Gentry being his old friend in Phoenix, do we really want him just hiring his other old friend from Cleveland? Maybe, but it could be interpreted as Griff wanting to just relive the past instead of actually making real decisions.

- Lue was famous in Cleveland for having dodgy minutes management, which is something we just had in Gentry that frustrated us all to hell.

The pluses are obvious. He has a short HC resume, but it's full of winning both in the regular season and the post-season, including a ring. He was actually very good at playing with the limited guys on the roster around Lebron, often working very well with adjustments against other coaches and their schemes. He's relatively young, especially for someone with such an accomplished coaching career. He has an established good relationship with Griff, as well as experience managing stars, which is something we're going to need as Zion, Ingram, etc, take off.

I don't think I'm nearly as against him as others are, but I think that he arguments against him are fairly clear and not trivial.

It would be great if Lou and Griff could get Lebron here, then I would feel 10000000x better about their success.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    It would be great if Lou and Griff could get Lebron here, then I would feel 10000000x better about their success.
    Lue’s price tag? If the Lakers could not afford his asking price. Gayle’s eyes when she sees his price tag?

How much money is Gayle willing to spend will decide our future. If she is really serious about winning she will open the wallet like she does on the Saints and those race horses.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 08-16-2020 at 03:38 PM.

Basketball Guru
    Lue’s price tag? If the Lakers could not afford his asking price. Gayle’s eyes when she sees his price tag?

How much money is Gayle willing to spend will decide our future. If she is really serious about winning she will open the wallet like she does on the Saints and those race horses.

she dont need to break the bank on lue...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    she dont need to break the bank on lue...
    I do agree. I think Lue may turned lots of people off with that tactic. In these days however I do think Gayle will need to open the wallet and not go el cheap O on a coach. Let Grif. be in control of checkbook and I think we get a decent coach at a decent price.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 08-16-2020 at 05:12 PM.

I think it was more a problem with the length of the contract than amount. Lakers offered three years; Lue wanted five.

Thread Information