Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gentry Fired Per Woj

This will be another exciting offseason.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

It's about time. Four years late if you ask me.

Thank you! Im glad Griffin reads this forum lol.... now if your still reading this mr Griffin, please say no to Lue and Jason kidd

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    Thank you! Im glad Griffin reads this forum lol.... now if your still reading this mr Griffin, please say no to Lue and Jason kidd
    I agree. I would be disappointed with a Lue or Kidd hire. I am on the Atkinson train.

Glad it finally happened. Tons of names fly around whenever coaches come up. I hope we avoid making the quick, easy pick like Kidd, whose name is nationally known, or the publicity pick in terms of a moron like Mark Jackson.

Take the time to interview a wide range of people from the NBA, maybe college hoops, European basketball, etc, and make a real informed decision. Whether that's someone who is popular on this board like Becky Hammon or Jamahl Mosley, or one of the guys who gets talked about less on here like Ime Udoka or Darvin Ham, or even a college coach (I've seen Silver Nail suggest Mark Few ), just do the process right.

Don't rush, don't make a publicity hire, pick the person you think is right and do so from a large candidate pool.

Edit: also, Kenny Atkinson. If the Pels think he's the right guy after interview, then fine, but please don't just hire him because Langdon knows him from the Nets.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 08-15-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    Basketball.

https://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/al...oaching-duties

“I’m grateful for and appreciative of Alvin’s commitment to the organization and, most importantly, the local community,” said Griffin. “The City of New Orleans is richer because of his presence here. These types of moves are often about fit and timing, and we believe now is the right time to make this change and bring in a new voice.”

“I want to thank Alvin for his contributions to the Pelicans and the New Orleans community,” said Pelicans Owner Gayle Benson. “We believe that making a head coaching change is necessary at this time. I truly appreciate Alvin’s leadership, dedication and perseverance through some challenging circumstances over the past five seasons. He will always be a part of our Pelicans family, and we wish him and his family all the best in the future. Our intention moving forward is to find the right head coach that will guide this Pelicans team to compete for championships. That is what our fans deserve.”

Gentry was named head coach of the Pelicans on May 30, 2015. He compiled a 175-225 (.438) regular season record in five seasons with New Orleans, earning one playoff berth in 2018 and advancing to the Western Conference Semifinals. The Pelicans finished the 2019-20 season with a 30-42 record.

When should next season start as of now? I'm hoping there will be enough time for a new coach to come in and make a difference as well as develop a rapport with the players. Here's to a great offseason and progression next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Glad it finally happened. Tons of names fly around whenever coaches come up. I hope we avoid making the quick, easy pick like Kidd, whose name is nationally known, or the publicity pick in terms of a moron like Mark Jackson.

Take the time to interview a wide range of people from the NBA, maybe college hoops, European basketball, etc, and make a real informed decision. Whether that's someone who is popular on this board like Becky Hammon or Jamahl Mosley, or one of the guys who gets talked about less on here like Ime Udoka or Darvin Ham, or even a college coach (I've seen Silver Nail suggest Mark Few ), just do the process right.

Don't rush, don't make a publicity hire, pick the person you think is right and do so from a large candidate pool.
    Agree. I hope it is thorough and includes many of the younger names. I really want someone from the Bucks staff to be interviewed - Ham and/or Lee.

Rumor

Great move! I didn’t care for him at all and so glad we finally woke up and got rid of that bum. Now we need us a nice up & coming young coach. We ought to see if we could steal Quinn Snyder away from Utah. They stole our name, so we steal your coach. I was going to be so upset and possibly even calling for my man David Griffin’s head if he & Trajan didn’t get rid of Gentry.

Do we go the college route like Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan who both have been great? Do we get a guy that has already been a NBA head coach? Or an assistant coach on a current NBA bench?

I wish we could get Jay Wright or Mark Few lol
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 08-15-2020 at 12:07 PM.

It's flappening!

Griffin will be evaluated after these moves... no more excuses for him.

They actually did something aggressive. Wow. About time.

It's the End of an Error.

Ok, so the first positive move of the offseason has happened.

Glad to see it was done early. Let’s just hope they take their time finding a new coach. No need to rush this.

That being said. I agree with everyone... do NOT sigh Kidd or Lue.

I’m all for finding a young college coach.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Do we go the college route like Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan who both have been great? Do we get a guy that has already been a NBA head coach? Or an assistant coach on a current NBA bench?
    You interview people from every background and then pick the person who fits your team. That's in terms of how you think they will mesh with your star players like Zion, as well as in terms of vision for the future. No use firing Gentry if you then turn around and hire a coach who has totally different priorities to the front office.

I wonder how long Gentry and the players knew. We were the least energetic team in the bubble. Uncharacteristic with our usual pace.

Ah well. The future is bright. We have so much ammunition. I still think we're two to five years of players developing before we become contenders but this hire is huge.

Good luck Alvin. I have to say I’m relieved to have a fresh start

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I wonder how long Gentry and the players knew. We were the least energetic team in the bubble. Uncharacteristic with our usual pace.

Ah well. The future is bright. We have so much ammunition. I still think we're two to five years of players developing before we become contenders but this hire is huge.
    Will Guillory said that Gentry being on the chopping block was true before the bubble, and that it was the worst kept secret in basketball.

It's hard to imagine the players didn't know for at least a while.

That said, us being one of the least energetic teams, especially on defense, is not uncharacteristic of this team over the last several seasons.

Edit: also, Kenny Atkinson. If the Pels think he's the right guy after interview, then fine, but please don't just hire him because Langdon knows him from the Nets.
    THIS 100% There’s no need for Griffin to rush this next hire. Conduct a thorough hiring process and pick the best candidate that aligns with the FO vision. Let’s get it right this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    They actually did something aggressive. Wow. About time.

It's the End of an Error.
    It was quick and decisive. Good on Griffin not to let it fester

Will Guillory said that Gentry being on the chopping block was true before the bubble, and that it was the worst kept secret in basketball.

It's hard to imagine the players didn't know for at least a while.

That said, us being one of the least energetic teams, especially on defense, is not uncharacteristic of this team over the last several seasons.
    Gentry’s biggest fault by far is that he didn’t hold them accountable on that end enough. He was a bit too laid back to chew them out the way he needed to

I'll disagree and say historically the defensive issues were more a lack of strategy and discipline than energy. It was more guys looking lost and not about hustle.

What I really want to see is us solidifying the coaching hire before making player moves. I know that sounds common sense but it feels like we have a history of not doing that.

Edit: Maybe I'm projecting the Saints and defensive coordinators here.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 08-15-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    I hate to see anyone lose their job, and I wish him the best of luck as an assistant coach somewhere.

But damn... this is going to be a fun offseason.

(And if we get someone crappy, it'll at least be fun up until then.)

Thread Information