Pelicans Report

Thread: Compare: Shai Gilgeou- Alexander v. Nickeil Alexander-Walker

Compare: Shai Gilgeou- Alexander v. Nickeil Alexander-Walker

Was wondering how closely these two cousins compare. Obviously Shai i has two years in the league, and has already become a key starter for a playoff team. But in terms of their physical make up and skill set, their scouting reports are remarkably similar. On their draft net profiles SGA really only outpointed NAW by a few, and most of that difference came under the headings of "potential" and "leadership", which seem a little squishy. In terms their height and length were very close, they were both termed "combo" guards who can play either the point or at shooting guard. NAW came into the league about 20 pounds heavier (which begs the question just how skinny is SGA?), but both were deemed to have superior jump shots, ball skills, and basketball IQ.

Personally, I think NAW, like SGA, would be better suited to playing as a SG who sometimes handles point duties than as a full time point guard. Obviously, NAW's jumper was balky his rookie year as was his shot selection, but his shot looks good I think it will settle in. Was surprised to see SGA is just league-average from behind the arc. Is he a much better athlete than Nickeil? Scouting reports don't really spell that out.

SGA is a much, much craftier player around the rim. Far superior at leveraging his length and touch inside the paint. SGA isn't actually a hugely great athlete in the conventional burst sense, certainly not hugely better than NAW, but he's got a much better control of pace and timing that means he's much more effective at the basket and as a driver.
    Basketball.

I think what's hurt him besides his shot around the rim being really raw is that he is very turnover prone. He maybe have a slightly better ceiling as a passer than his cousin if he can get the turnovers under control , but that's is about it atm.

NAW just got to keep grinding it. Remember SGA is actually has some great coaches with great skill at developing with a more well rounded roster with defined roles instead of this free flowing mess. NAW with a better coach probably can easily get cut down on the mistakes.

Thread Information