Pelicans Report

Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoffs Thread

Just thought I'd drop this in here since a few people on twitter are arguing that Kyle Lowry isn't a hall of famer.

One of the best defensive guards of his generation
    Consistent 16-22 per game his whole career
    NBA champ
    Olympic Gold medalist
    6x all star

If he played one more season at roughly his current level, he'll be up over 14k points, 4k rebounds, 6k assists, with 1300+ steals.

Here's the list of other players in NBA history to hit at least 14k points, 4k rebounds, 6k assists, with 1300 steals.

- Lebron James
    - John Stockton
    - Chris Paul
    - Kobe Bryant
    - Magic Johnson
    - Gary Payton
    - Jason Kidd
    - Clyde Drexler
    - Scottie Pippen
    - Russell Westbrook
    - Andre Miller
    - Rod Strickland

The only players on that list who aren't in the hall of fame are Lebron, CP3, Westbrook, Miller, and Strickland. Lebron, CP3, and Westbrook are all guaranteed HoF players once they retired. Miller and Strickland aren't HoF'ers but Lowry has the hardware they don't: a ring and a medal.

He's in.
    Basketball.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Maybe not first ballot, but I see no reason he can't get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Maybe not first ballot, but I see no reason he can't get in.
    If Lowry makes one more all-star team I consider it a complete 100% guarantee. Literally every player to make at least 7 allstar teams has been inducted into the HoF, iirc, except Joe Johnson who will inevitably make it there at some point.

James Harden Rocket Era probably will end sooner than people are willing to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    James Harden Rocket Era probably will end sooner than people are willing to admit.
    They look like they've just totally given up. Rockets aren't even trying.

They had the gimmick, it worked for a while, and then when it got figured out (as most people said it would be in the playoffs) D'Antoni, Harden, etc, all just threw their hands up like oh well ya got us.

Houston with a grand total of 0 points off fast breaks and second chances through the first 3 quarters of the game.

This is the first time such a thing has happened in a playoff game since the play-by-play era began.

Not a great sign for a small team. If you're a small team you should be building on fast breaks as often as possible: this is doubled in priority when you have Westbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Houston with a grand total of 0 points off fast breaks and second chances through the first 3 quarters of the game.

This is the first time such a thing has happened in a playoff game since the play-by-play era began.

Not a great sign for a small team. If you're a small team you should be building on fast breaks as often as possible: this is doubled in priority when you have Westbrook.
    They are so fragile mentally that it makes me wish they’d blow up the squad already. Technically the are good enough on paper, but the second they face any adversity they wave the white flag as you rightly said. Such a nothing team in the playoffs. Peeves me a bit

James Harden shot below 20% from the field for the 8th time in his playoff career. LeBron, Durant, Kobe, and Jordan have combined to do that TWICE in their playoff careers Harden's 8 playoff games shooting below 20% are tied with Bob Cousy for the most in the shot-clock era

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    They are so fragile mentally that it makes me wish they’d blow up the squad already. Technically the are good enough on paper, but the second they face any adversity they wave the white flag as you rightly said. Such a nothing team in the playoffs. Peeves me a bit
    I generally hate playoff ''choker'' narratives and stuff because 90% of the time they're not true and it's just the reaction that fans have when they either don't understand or don't care about stuff like coaching adjustments or roster matchups. There are tons of times where players clearly aren't chokers or regular-season wonders but who get that label because they constantly get bad playoff matchups or they have a coach who is inflexible; players like Garnett faced this a lot. CP3 faces it now, even though most of his playoff failure comes from injury or Golden State matchups.

But Harden is, I think, one of the few players in NBA history, at least that I've seen, who genuinely does seem to just diminish in the playoffs. Just doesn't have it.

I generally hate playoff ''choker'' narratives and stuff because 90% of the time they're not true and it's just the reaction that fans have when they either don't understand or don't care about stuff like coaching adjustments or roster matchups. There are tons of times where players clearly aren't chokers or regular-season wonders but who get that label because they constantly get bad playoff matchups or they have a coach who is inflexible; players like Garnett faced this a lot. CP3 faces it now, even though most of his playoff failure comes from injury or Golden State matchups.

But Harden is, I think, one of the few players in NBA history, at least that I've seen, who genuinely does seem to just diminish in the playoffs. Just doesn't have it.
    It’s just a bit concerning for any Houston fan. Two examples that come to mind of teams that get bounced all the time are Portland and Utah.

Portland seems to overachieve in the regular season and get in a bit over their heads. They have some talented guys, but I never felt like they had a roster that could challenge.

Utah has a team that should be much better, but they obviously don’t have the leadership necessary to make it very far.

The Rockets- it’s just inexplicable. I don’t get it

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    This was one of the best explanations of playoff basketball and why it's miles different from the regular season.

Changes a bit of how I think about certain players currently on this roster.

Great game 7 so far.

Toronto need to teade Mild P like tomorrow.

Toronto need to teade Mild P like tomorrow.
    Not sure about that, but they do need to recognise that he's not a number 1 offensive option against elite defensive teams, and then do something about that. That may mean adding more wrinkles to the offense, or seeking out another player.

Not sure about that, but they do need to recognise that he's not a number 1 offensive option against elite defensive teams, and then do something about that. That may mean adding more wrinkles to the offense, or seeking out another player.
    these are pascal siakam stats these series

40mpg
    15 points per game
    39% from the floor
    9.3% from three
    60% from the free throw line
    7.4 boards
    almost 4 fours a game
    Don't even know his TO

What... He was on a tear to atart the season. Then, he got injured came back and started to regress. Then, covid happened and he didn't pick up a basketball at during the break. Then, he has played subpar all bubble season before completely bottoming out

these are pascal siakam stats these series

40mpg
    15 points per game
    39% from the floor
    9.3% from three
    60% from the free throw line
    7.4 boards
    almost 4 fours a game
    Don't even know his TO

What... He was on a tear to atart the season. Then, he got injured came back and started to regress. Then, covid happened and he didn't pick up a basketball at during the break. Then, he has played subpar all bubble season before completely bottoming out
    I think people forget how little basketball Siakam has actually played, as well. His growth arc has been incredible overall but most rookies have about as much experience playing organised basketball as Siakam does, given how much people play pre-NBA these days and how little Siakam did. Nobody should be surprised when he runs into an elite team filled with good wing defenders and gets smoked. He just doesn't have the toolkit yet, and he's being expected to do more than he is capable of.

He was perfect next to Kawhi because Kawhi commanded enough attention to open up his game, and Siakam is still extremely talented so when he's on, he can make it all happen. But he's not a top 10 or 20 player for a reason, despite being a good offensive player and very good defender, and this kind of thing is why.

One thing I'm looking forward to is the absolute war that's going to going on between Marcus Smart and Jimmy Butler.

No jump balls, just Smarf and Buckets engaged in a pre-game knife fight to determine who gets possession.

I think people forget how little basketball Siakam has actually played, as well. His growth arc has been incredible overall but most rookies have about as much experience playing organised basketball as Siakam does, given how much people play pre-NBA these days and how little Siakam did. Nobody should be surprised when he runs into an elite team filled with good wing defenders and gets smoked. He just doesn't have the toolkit yet, and he's being expected to do more than he is capable of.

He was perfect next to Kawhi because Kawhi commanded enough attention to open up his game, and Siakam is still extremely talented so when he's on, he can make it all happen. But he's not a top 10 or 20 player for a reason, despite being a good offensive player and very good defender, and this kind of thing is why.
    Idk... Jrue is player that fits well next to a star, but while he may have been anti-clutch. He was still playing like Jrue and just as almost efficient.

Pal has seriously regressed over the season and that is worrisome.

Raptors fans going full meltdown. Talking about sign and trade FVV for Lonzo Ball.

Granted... I don't think FVV will have success outside of Toronto.

Idk... Jrue is player that fits well next to a star, but while he may have been anti-clutch. He was still playing like Jrue and just as almost efficient.

Pal has seriously regressed over the season and that is worrisome.
    I will bring up Jrue's ''clutchness'' again and again as proof of context mattering. Never forget that while Rondo was not perfect for us whatsoever (awful defender for us in the regular season, massively overrated passer most of the time as well) he did allow Jrue to take a serious off-ball offensive role at times, and the result was Jrue being one of the best clutch time scorers in the NBA that season in terms of both volume and efficiency.

Circumstance matters.

Raptors fans going full meltdown. Talking about sign and trade FVV for Lonzo Ball.

Granted... I don't think FVV will have success outside of Toronto.
    I would trade Lonzo for FVV immediately.

Whether he'd be quite as good outside of Toronto or not is obviously debatable but I think he's shown far more than Lonzo has, and still isn't particularly old (obviously older than Lonzo, but still). Better shooter, better half-court player in general. Despite being much shorter, still a good defensive guard due to tenacity and defensive focus which Lonzo lacked this year.

I would trade Lonzo for FVV immediately.

Whether he'd be quite as good outside of Toronto or not is obviously debatable but I think he's shown far more than Lonzo has, and still isn't particularly old (obviously older than Lonzo, but still). Better shooter, better half-court player in general. Despite being much shorter, still a good defensive guard due to tenacity and defensive focus which Lonzo lacked this year.
    As long as you don't need FVV to go iso deep into the playoffs on the last play of the game trying to get his shot off over a taller defender

This just in: Lebron James still absurdly good on defense when he can be bothered

Westbrook's decline has been so precipitous that it's basically gonna cause 2 different franchises to push the reset button inside of 2 years. Incredible.

So at the least, I think Houston will be yet another team looking for a head coach soon.

Thread Information