Pelicans Report

Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoffs Thread

Just saying, do you know how bad you have to blown it for Iverson to criticise you on twitter? He never criticises anyone. He's the nicest, most supportive of the older players out there. Never has a bad word to say about the modern game or the players.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Just saying, do you know how bad you have to blown it for Iverson to criticise you on twitter? He never criticises anyone. He's the nicest, most supportive of the older players out there. Never has a bad word to say about the modern game or the players.
    man, I love Russ, but it's just sad to see that he hasn't improved any aspect of his game as his athleticism's declined. He's virtually the same player mentally from his MVP year but worse in every conceivable way.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    My only problem with this... A young Rondo doesn't particularly fit in the league or in our current squad. He wasn't particularly great in his youth outside of passing to 3 HOF players.
    I think he offers a lot more then Rondo. I’m just saying he has a similar skill set which has shown it wins games. Lonzo is on a completely different level of talent. At 22 years old he is already a better shooter from 3pt and is every bit as good as creating if not better. When I compare him it’s more of the role he would play for us by being an elite defender while his primary job offensively would be creating for others and especially Zion. He’s closer to Simmons than Rondo but can actually shoot the ball from 3. I’m just saying it would be foolish to give up on a 22 year old PG who is not far away from being a very good PG in this league and an ideal fit on our team. Ignore the name on his jersey and people would be drooling at his skill set and talent. He is just tapping into his potential. I can point to gray PG after PG who took years to develop their game and turn into the great players they were. Just look how big 1 season made for Ingram. I’m not expecting Lonzo to take that leap in 1 year but if he just continues to improve on his weaknesses he is a huge asset to our team.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    MVP?

Not as long as you have to take your starting point guard out of game in crunch time because he is a sub 50% free throw shooter (or at least take the ball out of his hands). Mechanically he's awful, but his decision making may even be even worse...especially late in the fourth quarter. Above all else, a PG has to lead...I'm sorry, he may possess a lot of great qualities...but leadership isn't one of them.
    He is 22 years old! You don’t think his decision making in the 4th quarter and leadership can get better? I don’t know many 22 year olds who are great leaders especially when they are just trying to develop their game. He can fix his mechanic problems which he has already shown he is going in the right direction at 3pt by shooting 37%. Is it unreasonable to believe he won’t be shooting around 40% and make improvements to average at the FT line over the next few years? Like you said he possesses a lot of great qualities and some need to be tweaked and improved upon. The name on his jersey and hype he received early on has people blinded to what he actually offers and can offer in the future. You are just asking about Dragic. Do you not remember his development over the years where he became a very good NBA PG. You are gonna tell me a 22 year old Lonzo can’t improve just as he did especially when you consider his talent, skill set, and ceiling is much better. Again I can point to case after case of players becoming great and weren’t putting up numbers like Lonzo this early.

This. I've said it before, but he's one of the most overrated players of his generation.

Overrated doesn't mean BAD necessarily. If you're a top 50 player, you're good, but if everyone says you're top 10 you're still overrated.

Rondo has one of the least impressive careers and resumes out of any player that people consider to be a lock for the HoF. There's a reason the term ''Rondo assist'' became a thing: his numbers do lie, or at least, don't tell the whole truth.

Also yes true, if Lonzo takes a +25% leap in his FT shooting and starts drawing them that would be a huge deal. Massive ask, though. How many players ever make leaps like that? We just had Ingram take a 20% leap and that was incredible, we're now asking Lonzo to make an even larger one within just a year or two?
    You were don’t on one guy big time and will be wrong on another. What do you want to bet Lonzo will be shooting above 70% in the next couple of years? Do you know how many players improve by 20% or more in their first few seasons in the NBA? So you are gonna count a 22 year old player out on the basis that he can’t improve from the FT line and if he does he’s a very good player? Come on. You have been wrong countless times before so stop speaking as if what you are saying is actually factual and try to give more of an opinion. I’m just not ready to give up on someone this young and has already shown flashes of being great. Just like Ingram if he can clean up a few things and make some improvements we have an all star caliber PG on our hands. Everything people are saying negatively about him are very fixable.

https://youtu.be/eU3OOzQyXOY
    Lonzo Ball highlights with Pelicans

Crazy to say this kid at 22 years old can’t become a very good PG. Yes they are just highlights but not many players over a career can put together a tape like this in 1 season. This video shows the talent and skill set he possesses which is very rare. If he can just become a little more consistent and continue to learn the game we have a stud for a long time.

Not every player needs on a championship team needs to be elite. All championship teams have very good role players and imo Lonzo can be that guy on our team but playing great defense with the versatility to guard 1-3 and developing into an elite passer that can knock down the 3pt around 40%. Are y’all really gonna tell me he can’t be a Pat Beverly or Eric Bledsoe but even better? What he brings to the table is very valuable and that type of skill set has won for many teams at a very high level. A better decision maker in the 4th? That comes with time and experience just like it does for every 22 year old. Improving from 3pt? Showed in year 3 by taking a massive jump by rebuilding his form in just 1 summer shooting a very good .375% from 3pt. No reason he can’t take this to around 40% as he continues to get more comfortable. Getting better at the rim? Once defenders have to respect his 3pt it will open the lane up for him much more. He has very few weaknesses in his game and they are all areas he can get much better at which he has already shown. End of Lonzo discussion for me!
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 09-01-2020 at 02:10 AM.

I just feel like there is a mechanical issue with his wrist and hands. His layups and form close to the basket just look strange. Which is why he literally bricks layups sometimes.

I'd like to see what he does if he has a coach that makes him be a point guard and penetrate more often. But I'm not sad if they trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I just feel like there is a mechanical issue with his wrist and hands. His layups and form close to the basket just look strange. Which is why he literally bricks layups sometimes.

I'd like to see what he does if he has a coach that makes him be a point guard and penetrate more often. But I'm not sad if they trade him.
    Lonzo has negative touch. It's a real issue. I think it's also part of why he tends to shoot long threes more accurately than close ones: he flings them really hard and he's prone to bricking it if he doesn't have at least 25 feet between him and the hoop.

Like I said earlier, I don't really know a single player who has jumped 25% or more in FT percentage, let alone one doing it after they've had 4 or 5 years in the league already. Happy to see if there is an example, but I don't know one.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    MVP?

Not as long as you have to take your starting point guard out of game in crunch time because he is a sub 50% free throw shooter (or at least take the ball out of his hands). Mechanically he's awful, but his decision making may even be even worse...especially late in the fourth quarter. Above all else, a PG has to lead...I'm sorry, he may possess a lot of great qualities...but leadership isn't one of them.
    Thant was just it for Gentry. He would take out the good players and keep in the bad players. I think Gentry was trying to get himself fired. Plan worked. Thank God he is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    man, I love Russ, but it's just sad to see that he hasn't improved any aspect of his game as his athleticism's declined. He's virtually the same player mentally from his MVP year but worse in every conceivable way.
    If Houston blows it up and cuts him loose, Do we take a look?

Nevermind I just saw his contract details. Very expensive. Pass. Not worth a trade either.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 09-01-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    If Houston blows it up and cuts him loose, Do we take a look?

Nevermind I just saw his contract details. Very expensive. Pass. Not worth a trade either.
    I dont want any more "50 threes per game" coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I dont want any more "50 threes per game" coaches.
    Spot on. Any coach that has a ‘mandate’ on scoring a certain way without taking into account the opposition doesn’t need to be here.

The Franchise
    A pg that brings the ball up the court and play defense should be easy to find and not cost a lot. To me not worth 20 million but if he could always play like he did for those couple months, with hitting spot up 3’s and getting to the rim then I’d say sure but the numbers aren’t on his side. That being said you don’t trade him for peanuts.

I have no doubt Lonzo can become a better free thrown shooter. And I think his improvement from the 3-point line is real. I see no reason to expect he can't be league-average or above from behind the arc. The real area of concern is driving and finishing at the rim and his pull up/floater game. Being 6'6" and a good, if not great, athlete, it's mysterious why he's such a poor finisher at the rim. Does he lack touch, feel or hand-eye coordination? He's a good passer so his "hand feel" would seem to be good. Maybe, like his foul shooting, it's a little more on the mental side. Maybe it's connected to his foul shooting problems. Whatever the cause, it's cause for concern.

As others have written, I sometimes think Lonzo is the wrong kind of point guard for our roster. A dynamic scorer at the point, who can drive, draw and dish or pull up in the lane for the floater, may be our ideal lead guard. Pairing Lonzo with Jrue gives a backcourt with some definite strengths, and also some serious draw backs, notably neither one is an upper echelon shooter or driver who gets fouled a lot and shoots a high percentage from the line. I think you can get away with one of your guards being below average in those categories, but not both. Either one or both of them have to improve in those categories or we should make a change. I'd say trading Jrue makes more sense given the timeline for the team and the value you would probably receive back, but it's dependent on what kinds of deals you see in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Spot on. Any coach that has a ‘mandate’ on scoring a certain way without taking into account the opposition doesn’t need to be here.
    Completely agree. We need a coach who is willing and able to adjust their strategy based on the personnel they have available, and who can make adjustments rather than just rolling out a plan for one game like it's one size fits all.

D'Antoni's super mega microball with threes and stuff works, but in order to run it properly at a high enough level for playoff success, you need a roster stacked with versatile, lengthy, two way players who are legitimate team defenders and can shoot. Those are some of the most sought after, valuable players in the league: if you strategy requires you to have 6 or 7 of the least common players in the NBA, then your strategy isn't viable year on year.

The Bucks are currently experiencing a problem with a coach who is generally good, but who struggles to make in-game adjustments. Budenholzer is a very capable coach, there's no denying it, but he struggles to react and adapt in games and series. The result of this is him being a regular season wonder most of his career, and it's showing up again now. One of his major issues is his almost instinctive refusal to play his main guys heavy minutes, which constantly bites him. It cost them Game 1 against Orlando, and it just played a big part in costing them Game 1 vs Miami. We could well be in for a 6 or 7 game series when in reality the Bucks should overpower Miami without too much issue: the reason is that Spo is going to outcoach Bud heavily, and it will be down to Bud's roster to save him.

We don't want that. We don't want a coach who is ideologically married to a certain way of doing things and can't adapt.

Raptors just choke away that lead. I don't see them backdoor sweeping.

Denver looks so much better with Gary Harris back. He's a hugely flawed player but he's also the only guy on their roster who is fast enough to do point of attack guard defense, and the difference that makes for them is massive.

Anyone else notice that Donovan Mitchell can't finish in the lane to save his life.

Denver was down 3-1 in this series, right?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    I haven't attempted to watch a game since the blazers-grizzlies play-in game. I try tonight to watch jazz-nuggets.... and i don't have it on my tivo. whatever.

What a game!

Lonzo has negative touch. It's a real issue. I think it's also part of why he tends to shoot long threes more accurately than close ones: he flings them really hard and he's prone to bricking it if he doesn't have at least 25 feet between him and the hoop.

Like I said earlier, I don't really know a single player who has jumped 25% or more in FT percentage, let alone one doing it after they've had 4 or 5 years in the league already. Happy to see if there is an example, but I don't know one.
    So now he’s had 4-5 years in the league? LoL try he just finished year 3 and entered the NBA as a freshman. Only 22 years old. Maybe do your research because there is tons of examples of players improving their FT% by adding 20%+.. You literally said the same exact stuff about Ingram while stating he would never be even an ok NBA player and stay trash. Glad you aren’t in control of who stays and who goes. Yet when you like a player you will give them every benefit of the doubt to improve on whatever it is.

Two very good games tonight. Watching Denver and the Jazz gives me a lot of hope that the Pelicans can make a serious jump next season. I still think next year might be a learning year as well with our players developing and going into the following season as a legit squad that can take on anybody. Let these young guns grow while building through the draft and trade market. IMO we are 2 bench players way from having the team we need going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Denver was down 3-1 in this series, right?
    They were indeed.

I actually think D’Antoni does adjust. The Rockets don’t really resemble the Suns at all, they are much more iso dependent because of Harden. The seven seconds or less Suns only went iso as a last resort. I actually think he overachieved in Houston with the roster they have, and I think he does a good job of maximizing the ability of rotation guys on his teams. He wouldn’t be my first choice but of the guys who are retreads he would be on the same level as Atkinson, ahead of McMillan, Lue, and light years ahead of Kidd. I am not opposed to a retread either it just depends on who it is. D’Antoni is a good coach.

Thread Information