Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: August 13th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Orlando Magic - FINAL BUBBLE GAME

I doubt seriously that our regular starting guard combo this year, had a game where they combined for 60 points and each shot 50% or better.

Statlines

Melli: 6 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist. 2/6 shooting (33.3%), 1/5 from 3 (20%).
    Frank: 31 points, 2 rebounds, 5 assists. 12/24 shooting (50%), 3/9 from 3 (33.3%)
    NAW: 29 points, 1 rebound, 7 assists, 1 steal. 11/18 shooting (61.1%), 2/6 from 3 (33.3%)
    Jax: 13 points, 4 rebounds, 1 block. 5/7 shooting (71.4%)
    Hart: 23 points, 14 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 steal, 1 block. 7/13 shooting (53.8%), 3/8 from 3 (37.5%)

Kenrich: 5rbds, 1ast, 2stls. 0/1 shooting
    Okafor: 8pts, 4rbds, 4/7 shooting.
    Thornwell: 9 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist. 3/6 shooting
    Cheatham 8 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal. 4/4 shooting

Shouts to Frank, NAW, and Hart for combining for 83/17/18 on 54.5% shooting (30/55).
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I doubt seriously that our regular starting guard combo this year, had a game where they combined for 60 points and each shot 50% or better.
    Of course not, one of our starting guard combo for this year was Lonzo. He can't, won't, and generally doesn't score.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Levert's talented but he's older than you'd think and his game is really too old school a scorer to be much more than a really good 6th man because he's a tricky fit with a lot of teams.
    Older than most people think, worse at defense than most people notice, and has an ugly injury history.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Of course not, one of our starting guard combo for this year was Lonzo. He can't, won't, and generally doesn't score.
    ......but launches more than Cape Canaveral.

Older than most people think, worse at defense than most people notice, and has an ugly injury history.
    Injury history on other teams really means nothing to be honest other than value.

Still have high hopes for NAW, he has all the tools, just needs reps

Frank shouldn't cost much, we should keep him. He's improving

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Injury history on other teams really means nothing to be honest other than value.
    Eh, half agree.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Still have high hopes for NAW, he has all the tools, just needs reps

Frank shouldn't cost much, we should keep him. He's improving
    If Frank is willing ot come back on the minimum or something, then sure. If he somehow gets offers upwards of $5m tho, I just let him go

If Frank is willing ot come back on the minimum or something, then sure. If he somehow gets offers upwards of $5m tho, I just let him go
    We have an ungodly amount of theoretical cap space for next year.

We have an ungodly amount of theoretical cap space for next year.
    Sure but my point is value. I'm not really super invested in Frank, so I don't wanna pay him a ton of money. I guess if it was just a one year thing then that's maybe different, but I don't want this franchise to get back in the habit of giving big paydays to players that don't really deserve them for multiple years.

Sure but my point is value. I'm not really super invested in Frank, so I don't wanna pay him a ton of money. I guess if it was just a one year thing then that's maybe different, but I don't want this franchise to get back in the habit of giving big paydays to players that don't really deserve them for multiple years.
    You mean like Darius (even before the injury)?

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    You mean like Darius (even before the injury)?
    I can't remember the exact details of his deal but isn't the second year unguaranteed or something? Pretty much everyone accepted it was the size it was for trade purposes, and then he got injured which put the kaibosh on it

I can't remember the exact details of his deal but isn't the second year unguaranteed or something? Pretty much everyone accepted it was the size it was for trade purposes, and then he got injured which put the kaibosh on it
    It is UNGT.

Our current salary cap with no cap hold and cutting Miller.

$76 million.
    Last edited by Taker597; 08-13-2020 at 11:11 PM.

I'm more number analytics, but it maybe in our best interest to get value for Jrue and just go through a rebuild without main pieces that'll age themselves out. If Brooklyn still seriously interested. If they give us the right offer. I'd jump on it. Jrue accounts for 1/3 of our salary for this next year. Everyone else is right where we need them to be. Offloading Ball would be a plus too.

The reason why I say we really need to offload Jrue. Is Ingram's MAX and cap flexibility.

The reason why I say we really need to offload Jrue. Is Ingram's MAX and cap flexibility.
    I don't care too much about cap flexibility. Who are we signing this summer or next that requires that much space? Nobody. We're not gonna be Giannis' next choice

My thoughts with Jrue are this: if we can get good value for him, move him. If we can't, just don't move him. He's not a team cancer, his contract isn't like, 5 years from now, and he's ultimately a good player. It's not like he just desperately has to go. If we can move him and get something back that's better for the future of the franchise, then that's cool, but we shouldn't move him just to move him.

I don't care too much about cap flexibility. Who are we signing this summer or next that requires that much space? Nobody. We're not gonna be Giannis' next choice

My thoughts with Jrue are this: if we can get good value for him, move him. If we can't, just don't move him. He's not a team cancer, his contract isn't like, 5 years from now, and he's ultimately a good player. It's not like he just desperately has to go. If we can move him and get something back that's better for the future of the franchise, then that's cool, but we shouldn't move him just to move him.
    Brooklyn is in the Luxury Tax.

So, If NBA salary cap takes even a modest dive. They are gonna be teams scrambling to move players.

I wouldn't be surprised if we do still get some great deals for Jrue, but at a cost.

I'm really happy he got to show out and Hayes. He got a raw deal this year.

I'm really happy he got to show out and Hayes. He got a raw deal this year.
    This is what gets me about pundits/PR/reporters/bloggers saying we weren’t trying to make the playoffs. If that were true, Nickeil would have gotten minutes. Hell, Frank would have gotten more time than he did as well. Why we stunted his (NAW) development this year is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    This is what gets me about pundits/PR/reporters/bloggers saying we weren’t trying to make the playoffs. If that were true, Nickeil would have gotten minutes. Hell, Frank would have gotten more time than he did as well. Why we stunted his (NAW) development this year is beyond me.
    If you recall, he got some run at the beginning of the season and looked very lost. His shot also was not falling. It is not like he is a player picked at the top of the draft who they feel they have to play. He struggled and they likely did not want to see him continue to struggle and kill his confidence. Hayes even got much more run than anticipated when the season started. So, I cannot see how they are stunting their growth. Not every player walks into the NBA and plays 20-30 minutes a game.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    If you recall, he got some run at the beginning of the season and looked very lost. His shot also was not falling. It is not like he is a player picked at the top of the draft who they feel they have to play. He struggled and they likely did not want to see him continue to struggle and kill his confidence. Hayes even got much more run than anticipated when the season started. So, I cannot see how they are stunting their growth. Not every player walks into the NBA and plays 20-30 minutes a game.
    I guess it's they rather supplement a dead end player like Moore or Jackson that offers nothing instead of just going through the growing pains. Especially, when the squad was 6-26. The season should of been called there.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Very few (if any) people said the Pelicans "weren't trying to make the playoffs"

What some said (and what was true btw) wasn't that it wasn't their TOP priority. Huge gap between those two things.

And while you put all reporters and bloggers into one group, let me do the same for message boarders-- the biggest thing you guys do over and over again is on full display here. Misrepresent opponents actual points and live in the black and white when almost everything is a shade of gray and far more nuanced
    @mcnamara247

Thread Information