Pelicans Report

Thread: ZION: The future of defense and why the eye test lies

ZION: The future of defense and why the eye test lies

First, let me start off by saying that anyone that wants to argue the opposing side on this, feel free. All I would expect is face value arguments with evidence and not just some "I know what my eyes see" nonsense. If your eyes see it, post evidence - because I will.

Now the true first thing I want to say is this: The game of basketball EVOLVES. If you continue to watch it without evolving yourself on how you watch it, you will miss how its transitioning in real time. Understand that what evolves it are certain players that come in and shift the pendulum with their ability.

Coach K and his remarks on Zion are 100% right...Anyone who thinks he's bad at defense is wrong. Coach K just knows where the game is going.

So just where is the game going?

Its obvious. Help Defense and Aggressive defense is pratically finished in the NBA. Its on its last legs in modern basketball and if you are tuning into this offensive massacre in the bubble and haven't realized it, you are falling behind.

Answer me this. If Gentry is such a bad defensive coach, how come in a span of games with our starters, did they have the 2nd best analytic defensive numbers in the league to the Bucks? Can you explain that? My explanation is that our perimeter players desperately needed a rim protector and Favors (In the normal regular season) was that guy to do it. The aggressive defenders like Jrue and Lonzo could do what they do best and it translate into the actual end goal of our defense because they are in fact great defenders on the perimeter WITH A RIM PROTECTER.

So what happened in the bubble?

Favors came back out of shape. His mobility to defend the pick and roll was atrocious and we were back to being that early season Pelicans team that had too aggressive of perimeter defenders without proper rim protection. Look at all the perimeter players that killed us. Are you seriously going to sit here and say that Jrue Holiday, Hart and Lonzo Ball, 3 of the better and more aggressive ball hawks, are bad defensively? Sure you're not...because of the eye test and "they play soooo hard. blah blah blah"

Thats exactly why they got lit up and thats why every defender in the bubble is being lit up. Offensive players are too good now. Too good at ball handling, using screens to put slow footed big men into actions so they don't have to deal with the over aggressive defender and they are too good at shooting now given space. All this was inevitable when they changed the rules back in 2004 that allowed offensive players to get better at skills. Did you not see the outdated aggressive defensive car heading towards the cliff to it's doom? Players could breathe down ball handlers back then. Today? Forget about it. Role players are dropping 41 off the bench. TJ Warren has turned into Michael Jordan. And every player in the bubbles defensive analytics per game is TRASH!

My next post Im going to bring you evidence that the eye test lies.

So heres why the eye test lies and I believe ZION is the best thing since sliced bread:

Understand in the bubble, every offensive cat is balling. It's ridiculous out there right now. But why?

Its because defenders have no discipline, are too aggressive, and most perimeter players these days aren't defensively fluid.

EXCEPT ZION.

Lets go back to the Spurs game. We are all fans here who scout the game.

Did anyone notice that Zion was being defended by 7-1 POETL but then on the defensive end he was defending 6-4 Lonnie Walker IV? Understand the brilliance in that at face value.

Next question: If Zion is such a bad defender, can anyone explain what makes you think he's a bad defender in the first place? Because he's not helping? Logically, doesn't that say that the opposing team offensively in their attack is avoiding Zion?

If Zion is such a bad defender, instead of Favors...wouldn't they run him in pick and rolls? Even when Favors goes out and its Zion and Melli running interchangebly at Center...can you explain why Zion is still barely being attacked in pick and rolls? Watch the games. Think about it. Do you see it?

Its because Zion is a fluid defender. Fluidity on defense is where NBA basketball is evolving to, Just switching at the drop of the hat. The PGs and SGs know Zion has the lateral quickness to defend them so they raaaaarely ever put him in actions like they do Favors.

So wheres the cold hard evidence of how good Zion is and why the eye test lies:

[Time stamp: 8:40 mark] Please check out the time in the game. Its the third quarter.

Look at initially whos guarding who. Realize whats really taking place and the mindset in each players mind. FOX is too quick for Ingram so he calls for Zion, one of the heaviest players in the league, to defend him. LOOK at Zions discipline. Look at his lateral quickness and how fast his feet moves, Look how NO ONE has to help him. Then look at the shot he baits Fox in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0622.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	6535

Look at the shot he baited one of the quickest scoring point guards in. The big man of the team. a 39% shot.

Now in the video above go to the [Time stamp: 11:33 mark]

The eye test says Zion messed up, but the eye test LIES. Look at the time frame in the game. Its the same quarter, Remember how Zion just played the action. Believe it or not, m this is how defense at a professional level works. Theres a game plan. The play is a double screen. ZION is fluid. He can guard every position out there on the court at an ELITE level. It was Frank who messed up, not Zion. If you watch this in 1990s eyes, you think a big man like him doesn't have the lateral quickness to defend FOX but truly examine the mindset of ZION on this play. EVERY other slow footed big man would have licking their chops to roll back with the slower screener. Not ZION.

The ultimate reason the eye test lies right now is because no one can play discipline defense and thats why EVERYONE is going offensive wild in the bubble (Except Zo, I will admit :/). The reason people think he has poor defense right now is because he doesn't overly help. But Realize his match RARELY ever gets a good look. You hardly ever see the player with the ball passing to his match. Then realize the opposing team never attacks on his side of the court. Thats why you think he's watching...because of court balance, they attack on the opposing side and he's not going to give up an easy 3 with that big of a gap in court balance. But even more than that. Its your expectations. - not his defense. You think he should be in the action blocking every shot and going after every steal...because of your expectations that he's that gifted. BUT in 2020 - thats BAD Defense. Only RIM protectors should help.

His weakness is rim protection but he's not a rim protector. But neither is any of the all time great perimeter defenders. Change your outlook of him. He's defending 6-4 Lonnie Walker IV on the perimeter. For as undersized as he is, NO ONE ever post him up. Think about all the facts.
    Last edited by Wowowowow; 08-11-2020 at 08:53 PM.

Thread Information