Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Trade Machine is back! For those that want Devin Booker!

Pelicans The Trade Machine is back! For those that want Devin Booker!

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y296osjo

Very simply done. Nothing complex.

We can throw in one of our draft picks too. Thoughts?

You offer this to Phoenix and they laugh in your face.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    What about:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y5ccebqw

plus 2020 1st rounder and 2022 1st rounder

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    THIS!!!!

He ain’t going anywhere with the way that team is trending.

It's an interesting situation because in a lot of ways, Booker fits our needs.

- He's the right sort of age range to fit with Zion and Ingram
    - He's not a PG but he's played enough of it that he does have the ability to run basic actions as a distributor
    - He's very good off-ball as well as on-ball, so you can play him alongside other heavy usage players without issue
    - He can really really score

He's only a mediocre pull up shooter (35% this year), and in a perfect world we'd want to pair Zion with someone who was electric on the pullup (Lillard remains the gold-standard for this really, shooting 40.3% on 7 pullup 3s a game this year, holy gravity), but that's something he could easily be adding to his game and he'd have other players to draw attention for him in New Orleans that he doesn't really have in Phoenix. Defenses have to pay more attention to Zion and Ingram than they do Dario Saric and DeAndre Ayton (although Ayton has improved this year!)

The biggest issue I have with his game is defense, where he's still pretty mediocre. Pairing bad at defense Booker with bad at defense Ingram alongside currently-bad-at-defense Zion is not optimal. Of course you can fix that to some extent by hoping Jax becomes a legit rim protector and Hart continues to be a pest, and hoping that Zion's defense comes back, but it's still not perfect.

Then of course, there's cost. If Phoenix are moving Booker they want a King's ransom, and justifiably. Do we have what it takes to get a trade done for him without completely gutting the team and franchise? I doubt it. If I'm Phoenix and New Orleans comes asking for Booker I say okay, we start with Ingram and picks. That's starting to approach a price that I wouldn't want to be meeting.

Well guess some of you don’t want to win. Enjoy the same ole same ole tonight

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Well guess some of you don’t want to win. Enjoy the same ole same ole tonight
    Has nothing to do with want and everything to do with reality. You offer Phoenix a 1 to 1 swap of Holiday for Booker with no picks attached and they tell you to go take a running jump. You add in a pick and they might take away the running part.

Has nothing to do with want and everything to do with reality. You offer Phoenix a 1 to 1 swap of Holiday for Booker with no picks attached and they tell you to go take a running jump. You add in a pick and they might take away the running part.
    Let’s just let him go to GS then. Yeah he spilled the beans

https://nypost.com/2020/08/09/draymo...oker-comments/
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 08-11-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    What about:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y5ccebqw

plus 2020 1st rounder and 2022 1st rounder
    Perfect. Let us not forget we got Booker connections here already in our trainer

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Throw in Ingram and they still won't do it.

Not until he demands a trade anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Throw in Ingram and they still won't do it.

Not until he demands a trade anyway.
    It’s no secret

https://www.inquisitr.com/6176724/ne...er-team-watch/

https://theknickswall.com/devin-book...kbuster-trade/

Sweeten the deal offer them our lottery pick too. Since this draft is crummy.

I cannot see Phoenix trading Booker at all. He would have to pull an AD or Butler move and become a cancer publicly for them to even consider. Even then, there would be teams out there willing to give up the farm for him.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I cannot see Phoenix trading Booker at all. He would have to pull an AD or Butler move and become a cancer publicly for them to even consider. Even then, there would be teams out there willing to give up the farm for him.
    This.

Like I said, if they ever did want to move Booker for whatever reason, the deal starts with Ingram and doesn't get off the ground without him. You refuse Ingram, then they'll want Zion. You refuse both, you're not getting him.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    This.

Like I said, if they ever did want to move Booker for whatever reason, the deal starts with Ingram and doesn't get off the ground without him. You refuse Ingram, then they'll want Zion. You refuse both, you're not getting him.
    Then we’d have ourselves some Book. Because I’d drive Ingram to Phoenix myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Then we’d have ourselves some Book. Because I’d drive Ingram to Phoenix myself.
    Which is fine, I'd ship Ingram off for Booker too, even acknowledging all the of massive strides Ingram has taken this year. There are a good handful of super high level players who I can imagine fitting great alongside Zion that I would shift Ingram for.

I'm just pointing out that if you want to trade for Booker, that's what it will take. No use throwing out Jrue trades; I love Jrue but hes not a superstar and he's not a 25ppg guy and he's basically 30 now. No way a team on the up moves a budding star for him at this point unless that star is demanding a trade or you attach like 6 FRPs to it

We are going to have to wait. The next major young star wont be shipped for a while. Booker is at the point right now where AD was with us after the GS sweep. We got hot for a few weeks, made the playoffs, future looked bright. Guy just signed a new, long term deal. Optimism was abound

History says Booker will eventually be traded. KAT too. Isaac, if he ever stays healthy. Maybe Fox in 3-4 years.

But its not happening soon. Thats why the Pels should be gathering up picks in 2024, 2025, 2026 if and when they move Jrue or JJ. The Pels will have an opportunity in 2022 or 2023 to land a BIG piece. And they need to have all the ammo they can for that day. Because they will have to pay big the way the Clips did with PG or Lakers did with AD. But if you have 6 picks from other teams and all your own, it doesnt hurt as much when you gotta give up 5 of them

Right now, you develop Zion and Ingram to be two of your top 3 title pieces and then you just keep hoarding assets and spotlighting young guys who could add value in a trade....then pounce when one of these guys actually comes available
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    We are going to have to wait. The next major young star wont be shipped for a while. Booker is at the point right now where AD was with us after the GS sweep. We got hot for a few weeks, made the playoffs, future looked bright. Guy just signed a new, long term deal. Optimism was abound

History says Booker will eventually be traded. KAT too. Isaac, if he ever stays healthy. Maybe Fox in 3-4 years.

But its not happening soon. Thats why the Pels should be gathering up picks in 2024, 2025, 2026 if and when they move Jrue or JJ. The Pels will have an opportunity in 2022 or 2023 to land a BIG piece. And they need to have all the ammo they can for that day. Because they will have to pay big the way the Clips did with PG or Lakers did with AD. But if you have 6 picks from other teams and all your own, it doesnt hurt as much when you gotta give up 5 of them

Right now, you develop Zion and Ingram to be two of your top 3 title pieces and then you just keep hoarding assets and spotlighting young guys who could add value in a trade....then pounce when one of these guys actually comes available
    What do you think realistic value is for Jrue. Is there more value in the offseason, given a weaker free agency, than waiting for the deadline?

What do you think realistic value is for Jrue. Is there more value in the offseason, given a weaker free agency, than waiting for the deadline?
    I think he's gone before next year. For right or wrong, Holiday's play fell woefully short of Griffin's MVP expectations. I question whether we could get equal value, but I do think he could be part of a package to get a rotation player and a higher draft pick (be it on two team or, more likely, a multi-team deal.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I think he's gone before next year. For right or wrong, Holiday's play fell woefully short of Griffin's MVP expectations. I question whether we could get equal value, but I do think he could be part of a package to get a rotation player and a higher draft pick (be it on two team or, more likely, a multi-team deal.
    Shamit and Mason were discussing this on the last podcast.

If you decide to move Jrue, which maybe you do, maybe you don't, how do you go about that move and what do you expect back from it? They said for example what if you try to move Jrue and maybe a pick to get Myles Turner and salary back from Indiana. Now, Myles Turner doesn't fix your problem with having no real primary guard, and he's probably a worse player than Jrue overall when you compare them 1-to-1, but there's a good argument that he's a better fit with Zion offensively, he's still a solid defender (was great but actually took a step back), and is more in line with age.

So do you view that as a win as a trade even if the actual level of talent and ability on your team has gone down, arguably? Maybe.

Jrue's value is entirely relative. The situations I'd be keeping an eye on are Boston, Miami, Philly, Denver, Dallas. Those are the teams firmly in the playoff picture that i'm not sure if they have the juice to ever be true contenders.

Boston is the team that I'll be watching the most closely because I love the idea of Jaylen Brown next to Zion and BI. Obviously he won't be available this summer, but there's always a chance the Kemba-Tatum-Brown trio doesn't work out, and Brown would be pretty clearly the odd man out.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Jrue's value is entirely relative. The situations I'd be keeping an eye on are Boston, Miami, Philly, Denver, Dallas. Those are the teams firmly in the playoff picture that i'm not sure if they have the juice to ever be true contenders.

Boston is the team that I'll be watching the most closely because I love the idea of Jaylen Brown next to Zion and BI. Obviously he won't be available this summer, but there's always a chance the Kemba-Tatum-Brown trio doesn't work out, and Brown would be pretty clearly the odd man out.
    I love Brown, but think the Celtics see him as a cornerstone with Tatum.

For some reason, Indy is the place I could see Jrue going. Lauren is from the area and Jrue considered going there when he was a FA. Griffin may do him a solid if he can work a deal there. Not sure if they would be willing to give up Turner or not for him though.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post

Brown would be the odd man out? Not the 6'0 30 year old PG who just got there? Not quite sure I follow that line of thinking.

In any case, I don't think Boston would be too interested. They already have a guy who is a good defender, solid but not incredible shooter, who can handle the ball but isn't a lead guard, etc etc. He's called Jaylen Brown and he's way younger than Jrue and cheaper.

Now, if I were going to Boston and trying to wrangle players from them, I'd be after Smart.

Not sure why indiana would trade for Jrue with Brogdon and Oladipo there already unless they are not confident in oladipo coming back strong after the injury... i would love Turner here cause he would fit well with zion.

Thread Information