Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What's the take on Lonzo Ball

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    This really doesn't make any sense at all. He's making 11 million dollars next year, so he's surely not a negative value. A player who can play meaningful rotation minutes on a rookie contract is always a positive value. Once he signs an extension/FA contract, then sure he may be a negative value.

He's not a lead guard. Whatever. Most people on here knew that before the season started. That doesn't mean he isn't talented. He's not Austin Rivers at the end of his deal with the Hornets.

Trade him or don't trade him, it doesn't really matter to me if you're not bringing in a lead guard. If you trade Lonzo just to go get Evan Fournier then we're in the exact same position. The meaningful aspect of this whole Lonzo discussion is we need a guy at the 1 who can get to the rim and finish (and get to the line), as well as hit the 3 at a respectable rate.
    They can get better production from cheap vets at this point. Maybe the Knicks will want his salary since all they are dumpster for bad players and contracts.
    Last edited by Taker597; 08-11-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So the fact that Ball was coming off of a foot injury did not play into his slow start? I do think he improved last year. Enough to say I am comfortable with him as our lead PG for the future? No. But would I dump him for scraps? Not yet.
    Jrue was coming off abdominal surgery and Ingram's health issue with the blood clots took him out all summer; he didn't even touch a basketball for months.

I'm not saying there can be no understanding for Lonzo, or no excuses. What I'm saying is that his situation was not unique, and yet he still performed worse than basically anyone else.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I like Zo, and I think he will be better as time and coaching goes on. He didn’t have great coaching in LA, and coaching here was slightly better (and he performed slightly better because of it). If you can get him with a legit player development coach who knows how much better he can be.
    I was in the same boat too till after his lack humility after a getting eliminated made me start believing that he is what he is. He lost his goodwill from me. So, it's either prove it or move it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    They can get better production from cheap vets at this point. Maybe the Knicks will want his salary since all they are dumpster for bad players and contracts.
    If you could somehow scam the Knicks into giving up their 2021 FRP for Lonzo it would be incredible. I highly, highly, highly doubt it would work but it would be amazing if it did. Basically guarantees you a top 8 pick in a fantastic draft for top tier talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If you could somehow scam the Knicks into giving up their 2021 FRP for Lonzo it would be incredible. I highly, highly, highly doubt it would work but it would be amazing if it did. Basically guarantees you a top 8 pick in a fantastic draft for top tier talent.
    Shot, we'll be lucky to trade Lonzo for a new fax machine without giving anything up. Might have to be a slightly used fax machine.

Shot, we'll be lucky to trade Lonzo for a new fax machine without giving anything up. Might have to be a slightly used fax machine.
    True but we are dealing with the Knicks. If they fail to get LaMelo in the draft I wouldn't be surprised if they tried hard to scrap for Lonzo.

Hall of Famer
    Highly doubt knicks do that they would just take a chance with hayes

Lonzo name has passed his value and dont think teams will fork up the salary he will try and get

You may find a way to scam them into doing it, but it would not come without solid protection.

You may find a way to scam them into doing it, but it would not come without solid protection.
    Maybe, but worth looking into. I'm not saying they absolutely would do it, or that it would even be the best option to pursue once the FO actually knows what the general perception of Lonzo is like around the league, I'm just saying it would be really neat in a perfect world and is worth at least seriously considering as an avenue of investigation.

What cheap vet have the Pelicans EVER been able to bring in that has given production at all? John Salmons? Kendrick Perkins? Ian Clarke? Roger Mason?

We got like one good year out of Anthony Morrow and like half a year from Dante Cunningham.

We shouldn't overrate Ball but we also shouldn't underrate him.

And to your "lack of humility" point, he had a pretty nice quote stating that he let the team down and knows that some of this is his fault. I'm not really sure what more you expect out of an NBA player.

I would like to add that “people will want to come here to play with Zion and BI” isn’t going to be a factor. Nobody came here to play with CP3 & DX, and nobody came here to play with AD and Jrue. People aren’t suddenly going to come here on discount deals to come play with Zion and BI.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

What cheap vet have the Pelicans EVER been able to bring in that has given production at all? John Salmons? Kendrick Perkins? Ian Clarke? Roger Mason?

We got like one good year out of Anthony Morrow and like half a year from Dante Cunningham.

And to your "lack of humility" point, he had a pretty nice quote stating that he let the team down and knows that some of this is his fault. I'm not really sure what more you expect out of an NBA player.
    Three Million for Elfrid Peyton was a steal. Should still be here except everybody bought into # 2's hype. Certainly better option than Frank (who I like) and NAW at the very least.

And thank God for Randle last year.
    Last edited by As I See It; 08-11-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Three Million for Elfrid Peyton was a steal. Should still be here except everybody bought into # 2's hype. Certainly better option than Frank (who I like) and NAW at the very least.

And thank God for Randle last year.
    Elfrid and Randle were both bad

Yep, both of them absolutely stunk. Just cause Lonzo is bad doesn't mean we have to pretend that other players who suck are really good now

If Elfrid stunk at 3.5 million, what does that say for # 2 at 8.75 million (11.0 next year)?

Elfired Payton
    Rajon Rondo

Had better season than Ball and got half of what he is making. They all sucked. Atleast with Payton and Rondo. You get what you pay for...

Elfired Payton
    Rajon Rondo

Had better season than Ball and got half of what he is making. They all sucked. Atleast with Payton and Rondo. You get what you pay for...
    No, no he didn't. Revisionist history is crazy. I'd love to see an alternate universe in which Lonzo didn't shoot 15% in the bubble to see what this exact same board would say.

No, no he didn't. Revisionist history is crazy. I'd love to see an alternate universe in which Lonzo didn't shoot 15% in the bubble to see what this exact same board would say.
    It doesn't matter if it's the bubble or not. This a glorified scrimmage in front of no crowds. There is no reason for Ball to have worst shooting performance in the bubble by a mile. You got TJ Warren avging 30 points a game. You telling me Ball being the only person to have a gross adverse affect on his shooting in the bubble is admissible?

You got your 4th year and that's all I give Ball to turn it around. Hopefully, he decides to do it before February.

And what about that 15% in the bubble is revisionism...I think it's fact. Though I I'm not in a position to make the claim, I can't imagine an extended stretch where any COMPETENT point guard would shoot 15%.

You seem to be the one proffering some sort of revisionist history. His numbers were basically the same as they were in LaLaLand.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    And what about that 15% in the bubble is revisionism...I think it's fact. Though I I'm not in a position to make the claim, I can't imagine an extended stretch where any COMPETENT point guard would shoot 15%.

You seem to be the one proffering some sort of revisionist history. His numbers were basically the same as they were in LaLaLand.
    Brother, your idea of Elfrid and Rondo is revisionist history.

I'll see myself out though because clearly there's no rationality on here today

I agree. Everyone is exhibiting recency bias. Has Ball continued his hot shooting that he had at the break, the same people (almost) would be singing his praises and saying Griffin needs to extend him ASAP. But he was atrocious for 6 games and now they want to dump him for a bag of peanuts and are bringing up backup type players to replace him. I have no problem with trading him as long as we are looking for a solid replacement and not some backup or scrub to take is place.

Brother, your idea of Elfrid and Rondo is revisionist history.

I'll see myself out though because clearly there's no rationality on here today
    You hang in there. Maybe this is the day he turns it around and goes off for 40/10/10 with 4 steals and three blocks tonight while shooting 100% from the stripe.

But he was atrocious for 6 games
    Yeah, and the rest.

Yeah, and the rest.
    You are the one I was thinking about when I said "almost." You have been consistent since we made the trade with LA that you did not like any of the assets, including Ingram. So, Ball playing well at any stretch was not going to get you singing his praises.

I agree. Everyone is exhibiting recency bias. Has Ball continued his hot shooting that he had at the break, the same people (almost) would be singing his praises and saying Griffin needs to extend him ASAP. But he was atrocious for 6 games and now they want to dump him for a bag of peanuts and are bringing up backup type players to replace him. I have no problem with trading him as long as we are looking for a solid replacement and not some backup or scrub to take is place.
    But he didn't. And he is really the only one to fall off a cliff in the bubble. He is what he is.

Thread Information