Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: August 9th - New Orleans Pelicans Vs San Antonio Spurs - 2-3 Bubble Record

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Lonzo is about as bad in that playoff run game against in 18 where he went 1-10.
    Seen all I have to these last 6 games. Lonzo does not have the IQ to be the starting PG on a championship team, no matter how much he improves his shooting. Time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Lonzo in the bubble over 6 games now:

5.5 points per game
    7.0 assists per game
    4.5 rebounds per game
    26.0% from the field (13/50)
    19.2% from 3 (5/26)

Jesus Christ.

Still averaging basically 30 minutes a night for those numbers.
    He had some extra assists since I wrote this, so I'll just modify that there
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 08-09-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    Basketball.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    No player can be judged under Alvin Gentry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Gentry doesn't make Lonzo shoot 26% from the floor or 19% from 3.

When he's allowed to take fast break step back 3s, Gentry certainly can.

If I'm coach that bull**** is banned or you get benched.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

Sure but does Gentry say ''hey you know when you have a wide open layup and you're right there at the rim? Make sure to bounce that bad boy off the bottom of the backboard, that's a good kid''?

Absolutely not. Gentry's coaching is not optimal and certainly doesn't help, but Lonzo manages to be an inefficient mess all on his own.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Ehhhh. Just keep it in context. Lonzo just stopped making shots. So did Melli. Both have had great looks but just aren't hittin them.

Oh well. Portland needs to not keep our hopes alive. End this and we can get Zion out of here and let him rest...and then hit that cardio and keto diet or whatever.

Gentry also takes him out for 8 minutes at a time and brings him back in ice cold.

You’re missing the point. He hasn’t even able to hit the broad side of a barn in the bubble, yet decides that crunch time when the team desperately needs a quality possession is the right time to jack up another stepback 3? Low IQ street ball player. He can go and Gentry can go with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Ehhhh. Just keep it in context. Lonzo just stopped making shots. So did Melli. Both have had great looks but just aren't hittin them.

Oh well. Portland needs to not keep our hopes alive. End this and we can get Zion out of here and let him rest...and then hit that cardio and keto diet or whatever.
    Hopefully they send Alvin home.

Gentry also takes him out for 8 minutes at a time and brings him back in ice cold.
    Yes, we've established Gentry is terrible at rotations and lineups and minutes management. Everyone agrees on that. I want him fired too.

Somehow everyone else manages not to shoot 19% from 3 though, so why would I pretend that it's just a pure result of Gentry and ignore the fact that Lonzo sucks?

If I was Griffin, I'd slip the tester a Benjamin for a Positive COVID test on # 2.

Ehhh... Desperation shots are always bad shots unless they make it.

Quote Originally Posted by pr1840 View Post
    You’re missing the point. He hasn’t even able to hit the broad side of a barn in the bubble, yet decides that crunch time when the team desperately needs a quality possession is the right time to jack up another stepback 3? Low IQ street ball player. He can go and Gentry can go with him.
    Like I said, If I'm coach, Lonzo would have had it in his head a long time ago that shot is unacceptable. In that case maybe he tries to drive the ball and gets an assist or possibly doesnt brick a layup.

But here we are this late in the season and he still shoots them.

Like I said, If I'm coach, Lonzo would have had it in his head a long time ago that shot is unacceptable. In that case maybe he tries to drive the ball and gets an assist or possibly doesnt brick a layup.

But here we are this late in the season and he still shoots them.
    He has barely shot catch and shoots as well. It’s like a completely different way he is used in the bubble. He played off ball some and was good. He has had way too many iso threes which wasn’t his game before the break.

The confusion on the offensive side and lazy passes just never went away. The turnover issues have been there all year long.

Thats a Gentry problem and is the #1 problem.

The guard situation is in serious need of upgrade. Have to see what you can get for Jrue this offseason.

Hall of Famer
    The losers of the day goes to

the backcourt of lonzo and holiday

Holiday scores 7 points on 12 shots in 35 minutes that's just awful

Lonzo in the bubble was back to being the bricklayer he was in los angeles

If the pels keep the pick and BPA is a point guard they should go ahead and draft one

https://twitter.com/ZO2_/status/1292...514785281?s=20

Lonzo 20 minutes after losing a game. Twitter fingers need to get his ****** in the gym and on the court. Tired of this skinny leg dude got the nevre to pop off. He has been the WOAT performer in the bubble. He need to get his priorities straight.

Get on a squat rake and get off your phone.
    Last edited by Taker597; 08-09-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    https://twitter.com/ZO2_/status/1292...514785281?s=20

Lonzo 20 minutes after losing a game. Twitter fingers need to get his ****** in the gym and on the court. Tired of this skinny leg dude got the nevre to pop off. He has been the WOAT performer in the bubble. He need to get his priorities straight.

Get on a squat rake and get off your phone.
    I mean, the thing is I get that he's upset, but are they wrong?

They just posted his stats. Is it their fault he''s shooting 19% from 3 in the bubble? Is it Bleacher Report's fault that he can't hit the broad side of a barn?

He's touchy because they're right, and he knows it. When PG13 laughs at Dame for missing two free throws, Lillard waits until he's asked about it in the presser and then coolly responds with a considered answer. That's cause Lillard knows he's great, and doesn't feel the need for anyone else to validate it.

When Bleacher Report posts Lonzo's statline un-annotated, he gets whiny on twitter. Cause he knows he's been awful, and he's touchy about it.

Idiot coach for some reason inserts NAW into the game, and NAW proceeds to have 4 TOs in 8 unnecessary minutes.

Preseason rotation got what it deserved.

It's very telling that all the PGs on this team seem to struggle so much. It's like they have no direction on what to do in the half court.

A combined 12 of the team's 19 TOs came from the point guards alone.

Complete dysfunction from a primary position under Gentry. All they seem to know how to do is run like headless chickens on a fast break.
    Last edited by luckyman; 08-09-2020 at 05:59 PM.

Basketball Guru
    i think the utah loss killed the team morale and we have no vocal team leader to lift the team up...

Complete dysfunction from a primary position under Gentry. All they seem to know how to do is run like headless chickens on a fast break.
    I think what gets people distracted from how bad Gentry is sometimes is that he does seem to be a fairly capable guy when it comes to drawing up occasional plays. There are times, rare times, where we come out of a time out or have a really intense quarter where Gentry calls a bunch of plays and we run them and they look great and it's like wow this guy does have some ability to draw something up.

But his skill at drawing up plays gets totally buried until his directionless over-arching philosophy. He can't even coach to his own strength.

This is why when he was one voice of many, as an assistant coach or an offensive co-ordinator, he was valuable, but every time he's been THE guy he's just collapsed.

I think what gets people distracted from how bad Gentry is sometimes is that he does seem to be a fairly capable guy when it comes to drawing up occasional plays. There are times, rare times, where we come out of a time out or have a really intense quarter where Gentry calls a bunch of plays and we run them and they look great and it's like wow this guy does have some ability to draw something up.

But his skill at drawing up plays gets totally buried until his directionless over-arching philosophy. He can't even coach to his own strength.

This is why when he was one voice of many, as an assistant coach or an offensive co-ordinator, he was valuable, but every time he's been THE guy he's just collapsed.
    I guess it's help when all you have to do is draw up an occasional plays for a HOF squad with GOAT shooters.

Gentry's system just works.. You just need the following players

1 HOF facilitater
    1 - 2 GOAT Shooters
    1-2 DPOY anchors
    I promise it just works.
    Last edited by Taker597; 08-09-2020 at 06:28 PM.

The Franchise
    Talkathon here I come. Lol

And its official. Portland won, Pelicans will be in the draft lottery.

Thread Information