Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: August 7th - New Orleans Pelicans Vs Washington Wizards - 1-3 Bubble Record

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    How much do you think he's asking for? That is the big question.

Ricky Rubio makes 16 million a year, but is consistent pretty much every night, and shoots 86% FT and 36% 3's. You know what you are getting.

Lonzo....from night to night I have no idea.

http://www.espn.com/nba/salaries/_/page/2
    I wouldn't pay him $15m a year. That's for sure. Like you say, Rubio gets paid $16m a year, and while Rubio is no star, he's a much more consistent performer than Lonzo; at least he can hit his free throws, which is the least you expect from a PG.

The way I see it, Lonzo is gonna get a big offer from someone. He still has all that background hype, his stans still exist swearing he's going to be Curry with Magic mixed through, his highlights still gather massive views, etc. He's a name. When his FA time comes, some desperate team will throw him at least $15m a year, and I don't think he's worth that. So unless we plan to just let him walk for that money, we trade.
    Basketball.

All this 'his shooting is improved' is a crock of .....!!! He's the same shooter he was in LA. In fact his entire stat line this year is almost identical to his time in LaLaLand.

Further, can you really have him on the floor late in close games with the ball in his hands? He's a frickin' sub 50% FT shooter and his decision-making is suspect (and that's being kind).

Move him and our 1 in this years draft to move up for Avdija.

Just figured that since I had done it for Lonzo I might as well do it for Ingram, Jrue, and Zion. Bubble stats:

Ingram:
    20.4 points
    4.8 rebounds
    2.6 assists
    44.0% FG (33/75)
    45.8% 3PT (11/24)
    79.4% FT (27/34)

Jrue
    16.8 points
    4.8 rebounds
    4.6 assists
    58.3% FT (35/60)
    41.1% 3PT (7/17)
    77.8% FT (7/9)

Zion (only 4 games played, did not play this game, also very limited minutes in first two games)
    16.8 points
    3.5 rebounds
    2 assists
    58.3% FG (28/48)
    55% FT (11/20)

That is, again, in fairness, Zion averaging 19 minutes a game. If you multiply his stats by 1.3 you get his per 30 numbers, which are: 21.8/4.5/2.6, which are closer to his 19 pre-bubble games in terms of numbers, although not quite there still.

Edit: but just to clarify, they have all taken steps down in raw numbers, even if some of them (Jrue, here) have improved in efficiency.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 08-07-2020 at 10:32 PM.

Serious question:

Would you rather # 2 orchestrating your team or Elfrid Payton?

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Just figured that since I had done it for Lonzo I might as well do it for Ingram, Jrue, and Zion. Bubble stats:

Ingram:
    20.4 points
    4.8 rebounds
    2.6 assists
    44.0% FG (33/75)
    45.8% 3PT (11/24)
    79.4% FT (27/34)

Jrue
    16.8 points
    4.8 rebounds
    4.6 assists
    58.3% FT (35/60)
    41.1% 3PT (7/17)
    77.8% FT (7/9)

Zion (only 4 games played, did not play this game, also very limited minutes in first two games)
    16.8 points
    3.5 rebounds
    2 assists
    58.3% FG (28/48)
    55% FT (11/20)

That is, again, in fairness, Zion averaging 19 minutes a game. If you multiply his stats by 1.3 you get his per 30 numbers, which are: 21.8/4.5/2.6, which are closer to his 19 pre-bubble games in terms of numbers, although not quite there still.

Edit: but just to clarify, they have all taken steps down in raw numbers, even if some of them (Jrue, here) have improved in efficiency.
    And Jrue is doing that while playing All Pro defense.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Serious question:

I think Elfrid can score more than 2 points in 30+ minutes.

Serious question:

Probably Lonzo but the fact that it's even debatable is proof of a real issue with Lonzo that some people need to admit to themselves.

We are in win win hopefully. I’m more hoping for a non playoff appearance to see if they do the right thing and get rid of Gentry.
    Good win I guess though.

I'm not ready to give up on Lonzo. Much like BI and Zion. They all have come into the bubble season with issues. Ball, Ingram, Zion were all 3 playing way better before the restart.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I'm not ready to give up on Lonzo. Much like BI and Zion. They all have come into the bubble season with issues. Ball, Ingram, Zion were all 3 playing way better before the restart.
    Sure but with Ingram you have the justification of an entire season where his play overall stepped up massively. You don't have to go ''well, there was 6 games here, and 3 games there'' with Ingram; his entire season is huge a leap.

Then with Zion, he's a rookie, and he's still at least being dominant offensively and making the right passes and reads, even if he has defensive and rebounding improvements to make.

Lonzo was terrible both of his first years, and this season he's been mostly terrible with occasional bright spots. This isn't like suddenly the bubble is making him bad but he was excellent before that; his 10 or 15 game run of good games before the season shut down was the outlier. He shot 39% from the field from the first game of the year until February 1st: the first 41 games.

Next season, he either walks or we pay him probably upwards of $15m a year. It's not ''will he ever improve at all'', because the answer to that could well be yes. The question is ''will he improve enough within the next year or two to justify committing what will probably be upwards of $50m to him?''. Which is a very different question.

Good second half, finally we played some good defence XD It's not over yet

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    Lol it's very over. It's so over brah.

Pels interested in ty Lue and Jason Kidd if they fire Gentry - Woj

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/tyronn-l...-for-pelicans/
    Last edited by Taker597; 08-08-2020 at 01:28 PM.

Terrible choices.

Austin Rivers is much more sounder. Maybe not as talented...but much more sounder.

Reliability is everything in a point guard. Admit it, you always hold your breath when the chips are on the line and the ball is in # 2's hands
    Ridiculous. Rivers is not even close to Ball.

I agree the Pels need to make a decision on whether they can get value in a trade if they do not think he is part of the future core.

He was terrific before the break after starting slow coming off of an injury. He has been terrible in the bubble. However, to say he has not improved his shot is recency bias at best. He also seems to be using the bubble to try and work more on attacking the basket.

Woj didn't say the Pelicans are interested in either of them.

He just said those two have ties to Griffin. He's just throwing names out there on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Lol it's very over. It's so over brah.
    Ok Portland just lost to the Kawhi-less Clippers.

That damn faint light keeps on flickering LOL.

I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut.
    Last edited by luckyman; 08-08-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Ok Portland just lost to the Kawhi-less Clippers.

That damn faint light keeps on flickering LOL.

I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut.
    It will be VERY close at the end... You will see

It will be VERY close at the end... You will see
    Yeah, def light at the end of the tunnel.

That being said... nobody is beating the Clippers in a 7 game series.

Things get interesting.

Remember the year where we had to beat the great Spurs in the final game just to sneak into the postseason? This feels more intense. Lol
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Thread Information