View Poll Results: Fire Gintry or Naw

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, fire Gintry

38 100.00%
  • Naw, let um stay

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do You Can Gentry after this season, who do you replace him with?

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Bobby Hurley.

I actually like Jordi Fernandez and Dave Joerger too. But the more I think about it, Hurley would be my first choice.
    That’s a good pick. He has had success in turning programs around in college. Honestly the people pushing Lou or Kidd are just lazy.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I would love it. I would start with the rest of this miserable season. See what he can do and pay close attention to his game adjustments and rotation. Something Gentry hasn’t done in 18 years.
    Hasn't he been running the defense in Orlando? That's a red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    That’s a good pick. He has had success in turning programs around in college. Honestly the people pushing Lou or Kidd are just lazy.
    My issue with people suggesting college coaches (and I'm not speaking specifically about Hurley here, I haven't thought about it enough honestly) is that the record of college coaches, even good ones, coming to the NBA and succeeding is very sparse.
    Basketball.

The few college coaches who have made the jump recently have found success. I think college coaches now are built differently than in the era when Pitino, Cal, and Lon Kruger came into the NBA.

At any rate, just don’t sell me a retread who struggled before and then tell me “this time it’s going to be different.” If the franchise wants to kill whatever goodwill they have then go ahead and hire Kidd, Lue, Fizdale, Jorgensen, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    My issue with people suggesting college coaches (and I'm not speaking specifically about Hurley here, I haven't thought about it enough honestly) is that the record of college coaches, even good ones, coming to the NBA and succeeding is very sparse.
    One size does not fit all....

Brad Stevens
    Billy Donovan
    Quin Snyder

It seems College coaches recently know their limits. John Beeline didn’t know his, but several other college coaches have been approached for NBA jobs, and they have all decided to stay in the college game.

Title winning coaches of the last 20 years, and what they were doing their stops before taking the big seat:
    Nick Nurse- Dwayne Casey’s Assistant, head coach in G-League (coach of the year)
    Steve Kerr- Exec with the Suns
    Ty Lue- Doc River’s Assistant
    Gregg Popovich- Larry Brown’s Assistant, Spurs GM
    Erik Spoelstra- Pat Riley’s Assistant (he was the Heat’s shooting coach credited with helping DWade’s shot)
    Rick Carlisle - Head Coach of the Indiana Pacers and Detroit Pistons
    Phil Jackson- Head Coach of the Bulls
    Doc Rivers- Head Coach of the Orlando Magic
    Larry Brown- Head Coach of the 76ers, Pacers, Clippers, Spurs, Nets, Nuggets, Kansas, UCLA

Ty Lue is in that group for a reason (solid head coach, Lebron James, David Blatt, etc.) so who knows, maybe he can be a Phil Jackson and win it all again with a new teams.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    One size does not fit all....

Brad Stevens
    Billy Donovan
    Quin Snyder
    Rick Pitino
    Lon Kruger
    Reggie Theus
    Fred Hoiberg
    Leonard Hamilton
    Mike Montgomery
    John Calipari
    John Beilein

In any case, my point isn't that you CANT hire a college coach because they're all bad. My point is just that a coach being decent in college isn't enough for me to see them as an NBA coaching candidate. If you're going to suggest a college coach, I'd like to know what it is about them in particular that makes you think they'll be able to put it together at the next level.

Rick Pitino
    Lon Kruger
    Reggie Theus
    Fred Hoiberg
    Leonard Hamilton
    Mike Montgomery
    John Calipari
    John Beilein

In any case, my point isn't that you CANT hire a college coach because they're all bad. My point is just that a coach being decent in college isn't enough for me to see them as an NBA coaching candidate. If you're going to suggest a college coach, I'd like to know what it is about them in particular that makes you think they'll be able to put it together at the next level.
    ** In just two years at Buffalo, he took them to the NCAA Tournament for the first time ever.

** Perennially, a second division team in PAC 12, ASU has been transformed into conference contender in just three years and if not for COVID outbreak, would have made the NCAA Tournament for the third consecutive year (the first time since the 60's)

** Emphasizes defense (for Pelicans fans...that's what you play when the other team has the ball)

** Disciplinarian who gives players leeway, but holds them accountable.

** No greater basketball pedigree available (his dad is one of only a handful of High School coaches in Springfield...Coach K's name speaks for itself)

** Duke connection (He helped recruit Trajan Langdon to Duke)

My take: Since we have no genius at point guard, Hurley's counsel is sorely needed. If you don't have someone who knows how to drive, what good is it to own a Lamborghini.

Rick Pitino
    Lon Kruger
    Reggie Theus
    Fred Hoiberg
    Leonard Hamilton
    Mike Montgomery
    John Calipari
    John Beilein

Okay, now do the list of all the NBA assistants or retreads that fail.

Over a long enough time span, the failure rate for NBA coaches is 98 percent. No matter where you get the coach from, they are far more likely to fail and get fired. But its always weird to me that this is overwhelmingly the narrative with college coaches when all backgrounds produce mostly failures. If there was a resume that led to success more often that not, every team would target that pathway. It's all a crap shoot. But it's impossible for fans to say "Heck, i never heard of Nick Nurse 3 years ago" or "yeah, I thought Dantoni's time had passed" etc

I get the need for something to talk about but over time I have learned to stop pretending I know which coach will be successful and which won't
    @mcnamara247

The few college coaches who have made the jump recently have found success. I think college coaches now are built differently than in the era when Pitino, Cal, and Lon Kruger came into the NBA.

At any rate, just don’t sell me a retread who struggled before and then tell me “this time it’s going to be different.” If the franchise wants to kill whatever goodwill they have then go ahead and hire Kidd, Lue, Fizdale, Jorgensen, etc.
    THIS. That's why Becky Hammond NEEDS to be pursued. Let her say No. Flame away, but this franchise is stuck in neutral - despite having a bright future. And retreads like Kidd just don't move the needle. Plus she is a winner. But what do I know.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

It would be sad to see us run through the CP3/AD/Zion years (15 years) with nothing to show but one 2 second round exits.

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    THIS. That's why Becky Hammond NEEDS to be pursued. Let her say No. Flame away, but this franchise is stuck in neutral - despite having a bright future. And retreads like Kidd just don't move the needle. Plus she is a winner. But what do I know.
    What has she done that makes her such a slam dunk?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

I get the need for something to talk about but over time I have learned to stop pretending I know which coach will be successful and which won't
    Which is part of why I didn't dismiss anyone from that background, but rather just asked for the reasoning behind a given suggestion. Again, I'm not saying that a college coach cannot be successful in the NBA (obviously they can, there have been examples given already in this thread). What I am saying is that college success is not a guarantee of NBA success (which seems obvious to me) and therefore if you suggest a college coach I would like to know why you think they would be a good option.

Now you could easily ask why I want that explanation from college coaches and not, say, assistant coaches in the NBA, but the answer for that is simple: I know more about the arguments for NBA assistants than I do for college coaches and I'd like to see the explanations so that I know more going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I don't think she's a slam dunk. No unproven Head Coach option is.

But as far as ''unproven'' people go, she's got a very strong argument.

- Successful professional career in the WNBA (6x all star, 4x all-WNBA team member)
    - Comes from a historically successful coaching tree in the Spurs, which also produced figures like Budenholzer
    - Won the Summer League Championship as head coach for the Spurs, and looked very good doing so
    - Summer League success indicates at least some ability to connect with and motivate younger players, which we need

I also take the word of players into account when I hear it (which is admittedly not that often), and Pau Gasol wrote that article a while back which was just full of praise for Hammon. He didn't have to write that article, and Pau Gasol has played under numerous quality coaches and is himself a very sharp basketball mind, so that praise counts for something to me.

It seems like NBA players don't really kick into that superstar/dominant level until years 5 to 7. And that's being generous. I still think we're two to three yearsof mid to lower level playoff seeds and then in three to four seasons we can become the title contenders at the soonest. So I'd still be looking more to develop guys than have a coach that is all in on winning. That's as much as I got. You guys are way more knowledgeable about the other teams in the NBA and I know next to nothing about college ball. I'm just a Pels fan. Kinda dislike the NBA as a whole. Y'all's discussion on this has been pretty informative.

And that "development" strategy only holds if we decide to keep our assets. If we trade a good bit of those for a proven all-star, everything is completely different. So many paths we can go down. I am excited but also have no idea how this will shake out.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 08-09-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

If they change coaches...

Any coach above 50 has to have skins on the wall. We can't settle for a 'Alvin Gentry Resume', no matter how many metric charts (s)he might bring to the interview. It's one thing to coach on paper and a whole other matter to coach on the court. (Atkinson has a lifetime .383 winning percentage...Fizzdale =.346)

Otherwise, let him/her be someone in their 40's (maybe even 30's) who has shown upward mobility throughout a career and not lived off the coat tails of others [Liu (LeBron's team) and Kidd (lifetime .471winning percentage)]. Must have the ability to communicate with 20 year-olds

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not a slam dunk. But her efforts winning the Summer League and ability to connect with players - because she is a fierce competitor won me over. Plus, Pop ain't going to put up with her just because she is a her.

PLUS, she'd pump some excitement into this franchise. Just like her attitude. Period. Female or not. 15 years of treading water with CP3/AD.Zion/BI and nothing to show for it. Again, I don't dive into the deeps weeds of basketball. Just watch/attend the games wanting my team to win.

The Franchise
    I’m all for a first time head coach regardless asst nba coach or college. My only thing is go young and give them 3 years to grow together.

Becky Hammon is auditioning for the Pels head coaching job.

I vote for young assistant or college coach because the focus of this team should be player development.

Fire griffin if he doesn’t fire gentry

Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    From a fundamental standpoint my requirements are the following:

1. Young enough time relate to all these kids
    2. Can develop players. Our roster is super young. Player development is key.
    3. Can recognize momentum. Young players go on streaks and tend to be emotional. The next coach needs to be able to play the kids accordingly.

If we can accomplish that. I think we can be successful.
    Like HART says: able to relate to kids, yet old and accomplished enough to have the respect of the veterans. Non other that the coach with highest winning percentage of any NCAA coach of all time at .830. He achieves this with the smallest student enrollment of any of the major teams against top tier competition. Probably going to take a 4 or 5 year, 25 million dollar deal for him to leave Gonzaga, but it will be worth it. MARK FEW

Hmmm Mark Few. I would be interested. Obviously he knows how to coach, and even more he knows how to get blood from a stone.

Do you think he could bring back Dan Dickau?

Hmmm Mark Few. I would be interested. Obviously he knows how to coach, and even more he knows how to get blood from a stone.

Do you think he could bring back Dan Dickau?
    I would like to add that coaches like Mark are FEW and far between. Also, as coaches go it's about time we get a FEW good men.
    Last edited by Silver Nail; 08-10-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Thread Information