View Poll Results: Fire Gintry or Naw

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, fire Gintry

38 100.00%
  • Naw, let um stay

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Do You Can Gentry after this season, who do you replace him with?

Listening to Ben Goliver and having listened to other NBA writers they all agree, the team not being ready/energized to play falls on the coach. Sure these guys are adults and shouldn’t need someone to get them motivated, but that is one of the things that separate guys like Pops and Doc from guys like Alvin and guys like him.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

FYI

Pacers gave Nate McMillan an extension. Scratch him off the list.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ract-extension

We need a coach that understands both sides of the game. Gentry barely understands neither (I kid, but he isn’t the offensive guru people have made him out to be in the past). Defensively, Gentry needs to demand the effort and make sure people understand their assignments. We are either woefully unprepared or concerningly unmotivated to defend. Head coach cannot put all of the onus on his assistants. Big scorelines are nothing with an L at the end of the night.

Ok people, one more time. MARK FEW

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Ok people, one more time. MARK FEW
    I could go for that, if for no other reason than to recruit Kelly Olynyk.

Seriously, I could go for that pick. But he's king in Spokane and it would probably take a king's ransom to secure his sevices.

For some reason it is a lazy argument to point out that Gentry only has 3 playoff appearances in 17 years? I thought that would be a silver bullet of an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    For some reason it is a lazy argument to point out that Gentry only has 3 playoff appearances in 17 years? I thought that would be a silver bullet of an argument.
    I mean, it is potentially possible for you to miss the playoffs in year that you don't actually do anything wrong.

For example, imagine a team with pretty much no good players on it. Nobody on the team is even a top 150 player in the league, and you're in the west. You somehow lead that team to 35 wins; that's an incredible over-achievement, but you still miss the playoffs.

It's an incredibly unlikely scenario, and its even more unlikely for it to be true for over a dozen years, but it is at least theoretically possible to be a good coach who never makes the playoffs.

This isn't the case with Gentry, he's had good rosters and bad rosters, rosters with top 10 stars and rosters with a bunch of young unproven guys, and he's failed with all of them.
    Basketball.

I just saw an argument by a reporter stating that Gentry should be looked at like D’Antoni and Brett Brown, but quite frankly, I don’t see any comparison as both of those guys (as mediocre as they are) have had more success.

Sam Cassell playing HC for 2nd half Clippers vs Rockets . Doc trying to get him a HC job.

Thoughts?

Gentry is not made for young developing teams. He needs a good vet team and put it on cruise control, but that squad will not get any better. They'll slowly collapse into mediocre like the only time that Gentry was handed a all time good team.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Gentry is not made for young developing teams. He needs a good vet team and put it on cruise control, but that squad will not get any better. They'll slowly collapse into mediocre like the only time that Gentry was handed a all time good team.
    This is largely true.

Gentry's first time making the post season as a HC was in 1998-99, as the HC of the Pistons. They went 29-21. That team had Grant Hill, Jerry Stackhouse, Joe Dumars, and Christian Laettner on it. Obviously by then, Dumars was old and on the decline, and Hill was gone from Detroit not long after.

His second time was 2009-10 for the Suns. He inherited Nash who went for 16/11 that year and had yet another 50/40/90 season. Stoudemire was still there, and still marginally healthy. None of the top 5 minutes getters on that team was below 26: this year, 3 of our top 5 minutes getters were 24 or under (Hart, Lonzo, BI).

His third time was with the Pelicans: that was the year we had Boogie, and it was also the year where Jrue was at his peak as a two way player and the year where Niko was being ridiculous and AD went on a massive tear.

He doesn't overachieve with young or bad teams. It's just not something Gentry does.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    This is largely true.

Gentry's first time making the post season as a HC was in 1998-99, as the HC of the Pistons. They went 29-21. That team had Grant Hill, Jerry Stackhouse, Joe Dumars, and Christian Laettner on it. Obviously by then, Dumars was old and on the decline, and Hill was gone from Detroit not long after.

His second time was 2009-10 for the Suns. He inherited Nash who went for 16/11 that year and had yet another 50/40/90 season. Stoudemire was still there, and still marginally healthy. None of the top 5 minutes getters on that team was below 26: this year, 3 of our top 5 minutes getters were 24 or under (Hart, Lonzo, BI).

His third time was with the Pelicans: that was the year we had Boogie, and it was also the year where Jrue was at his peak as a two way player and the year where Niko was being ridiculous and AD went on a massive tear.

He doesn't overachieve with young or bad teams. It's just not something Gentry does.
    Overachieve... *Cough* Get carried by insanely talented players *Cough*... Yeah totally.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Overachieve... *Cough* Get carried by insanely talented players *Cough*... Yeah totally.
    I wasn't implying those other teams were overachieving due to Gentry. Those teams were playoff teams cause of good rosters and superstar players; Gentry was enabling them to do what they had the talent to do, but not creating it.

My point was that if you give him a bad team or a young team, he doesn't overachieve with it. He's actually a good coach to reflect the quality of your roster, in a lot of ways. If your roster rules, you will do well with a Gentry HC. If your roster sucks, you won't. He can't make anyone better; he just isn't capable.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Sam Cassell playing HC for 2nd half Clippers vs Rockets . Doc trying to get him a HC job.

Thoughts?
    Perhaps unlike his playing career Cassell can be a long time head coach with one team.

Jacque Vaughn, Hammon, or Kenny are probably my favorite candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Idk... Nets fans seem pretty happy that he is gone. I really want a coach that's all about playing to players strengths not a system. Especially, when that system discourage the midrange game. I'd like to bring him in as an assistant coach instead of head coach.

Thread Information