Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Thursday August 6: Pelicans vs Kings Bubble Matinee(12:30 PM) Gameday Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    There's no one worth losing on purpose for in this draft. No one you can't just grab similar a little later on.
    Yeah, I know. I'm just a big fan of Onyeka. This draft makes this year even more underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Yeah, I know. I'm just a big fan of Onyeka. This draft makes this year even more underwhelming.
    Onyeka is really good. He's one of those guys who is gonna be a decent NBA player day one and will probably be for a decade. Warriors are gonna pick him after faking everyone out that they want Wiseman and they're gonna get the steal.
    Basketball.

To be fair...we don't have a single rim protector on this team. Favors isn't athletic enough. Hayes is too wild and raw. And Zion's conditioning is so poor he can't expend too much chasing a weakside block. Also, he's a very poor defender at this stage anyway.
    Rim protecton is an overused phrase. You cant protect the rim if you constantly get confused on switches, or are late. It's hard to protect the rim in a trail position.

When Favors can be where he needs to be, he does a good job altering shots.

They can still use more active, above the rim bigs for sure. But with this coaching staff, they'd be stuck out trying to guard Fox at the 3 point line.

Gentry and his coaching staff would struggle to win 40 games with the Bucks roster.

So is that it? Can we stop believing in this lost season now? I'd rather Gentry gone than given another chance off some stupid miracle crap.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by SeapeaNOLA View Post
    So is that it? Can we stop believing in this lost season now? I'd rather Gentry gone than given another chance off some stupid miracle crap.
    Will gentry actually be fired though.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    How many people will be completely relieved when Gentry is fired? It’s like a huge cloud over the franchise that has ruined them for years and ran off one of the best PFs in league history.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    My guess?

Nope.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Rim protecton is an overused phrase. You cant protect the rim if you constantly get confused on switches, or are late. It's hard to protect the rim in a trail position.

When Favors can be where he needs to be, he does a good job altering shots.

They can still use more active, above the rim bigs for sure. But with this coaching staff, they'd be stuck out trying to guard Fox at the 3 point line.

Gentry and his coaching staff would struggle to win 40 games with the Bucks roster.
    So you agree with me. We don't have anyone who can protect the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Onyeka is really good. He's one of those guys who is gonna be a decent NBA player day one and will probably be for a decade. Warriors are gonna pick him after faking everyone out that they want Wiseman and they're gonna get the steal.
    Warriors and Wiseman never really made sense. Yet, neither did Russell and Weedplate Wiggins. Onyeka would be them drifting back towards their 2015 roots. The need to invest into defensive workhorses.

Warriors and Wiseman never really made sense. Yet, neither did Russell and Weedplate Wiggins. Onyeka would be them drifting back towards their 2015 roots. The need to invest into defensive workhorses.
    Onyeka is an extremely good defensive big, and is also switchable.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    No. He will finish out the year.. If he was ever gonna be fired. It would of been 6-26.

Gentry says he didn't think we were ''flat'' tonight.

As usual, he's wrong.

So you agree with me. We don't have anyone who can protect the rim.
    We have Favors. The caveat is we could have Shaq, Olajuwon, and Mutombo and it wouldn't matter.

So when things are this screwed up, it's hard to judge accurately.

If gentry isn’t fired. Griffin needs to go for not doing his job.

As usual, he's wrong.
    Remember... His vision ends at the half court line when defense is on the court.

How does a 6 - 26 team go 23-13.... Just will themselves with talent to start winning games?

As usual, he's wrong.
    It's like he's literally tone deaf to reality. No exaggeration but I have never seen anything like it.

NBA makes up a 9th seed for us
    Give us the easiest schedule
    All we have do is show up for 8 games.
    Every game, season is on the line
    Fighting teams are playing playoffs minutes. We acting like it's December Minutes.
    Zion burst restriction
    1-3 start. 2 loses broke franchise worst records.

We just embarrass ourselves.

The thing I have to ask for the people who are adamant that it's not Gentry is this: our teams have sucked for years. Yet we've had relatively little player continuity.

What's the common factor on all of these bad teams, cause it's not the players.

We sucked when the roster was Tony Allen, Rondo, and Cousins. We sucked when Ajinca was here, and when we had Omri Casspi for 2 milliseconds. We suck now with Ingram and Lonzo and Redick.

Did Tony Allen just stop caring when he came here? Did Redick suddenly stop caring about his playoff streak? Nope. The consistent part that has been involved in all of these teams is Gentry.

That's not to say every single problem is to do with him, it's not. He can't make you close out on a shooter, and he obviously doesn't tell you to miss shots.

But can we stop pretending that he's just not an issue whatsoever? Thanks.

My guess?

Nope.
    I echo this. The organization is too sentimental

The thing I have to ask for the people who are adamant that it's not Gentry is this: our teams have sucked for years. Yet we've had relatively little player continuity.

What's the common factor on all of these bad teams, cause it's not the players.

We sucked when the roster was Tony Allen, Rondo, and Cousins. We sucked when Ajinca was here, and when we had Omri Casspi for 2 milliseconds. We suck now with Ingram and Lonzo and Redick.

Did Tony Allen just stop caring when he came here? Did Redick suddenly stop caring about his playoff streak? Nope. The consistent part that has been involved in all of these teams is Gentry.

That's not to say every single problem is to do with him, it's not. He can't make you close out on a shooter, and he obviously doesn't tell you to miss shots.

But can we stop pretending that he's just not an issue whatsoever? Thanks.
    I agree 100 percent. This is a horrific loss for the franchise. It's absolutely inexcusable. It's not whether Alvin Gentry is a bad coach for me. It's more of does anyone honestly believe that he can coach a team to a conference finals or championship? I can't see it. Making the playoffs as a 9th seed isn't good enough. That shouldn't be the goal anyway.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

See, this is the kind of thing I don't really understand.

If a top 3 coach can move the needle, a bottom 5 coach can do the same in the opposite direction. It may well be true that adding a ''mediocre'' coach to this team wouldn't fix us: in fact, it almost definitely is true. But mediocre is better than garbage.

Budenholzer isn't a top three coach. He's not better than Nurse, Spoelstra, or Pop. It's debatable if he's better than Snyder or Stevens from Boston.

Yet replacing Jason Kidd, who stinks, with Bud, who might be like the 6th best coach in the NBA, had a huge impact. Just the impact of getting rid of trash is a thing: addition by subtraction works.

Get rid of Gentry. Replace him with even someone mediocre, and this team is a playoff team, because even if the new coach isn't a genius, they'll probably be better than this.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 08-06-2020 at 03:45 PM.

It’s better to look for the next Nurse than to sit on your haunches. Sure, most teams don’t win championships. Having said that, you know you won’t win anything with Gentry. I hate that complacent attitude. Look for the solution even if it doesn’t pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    It’s better to look for the next Nurse than to sit on your haunches. Sure, most teams don’t win championships. Having said that, you know you won’t win anything with Gentry. I hate that complacent attitude. Look for the solution even if it doesn’t pan out.
    Exactly. The potential outcome with any coach is basically A or B.

A= They are successful with your team, and you win a lot of games and make playoff runs and maybe if you're lucky, a ring.
    B= They are unsuccessful with your team, you lose a lot of games, you constantly miss the playoffs, no ring will ever come short of the Second Coming of Christ.

We know that hiring a new coach is a coinflip on A or B. They may be good or maybe not; it could be a failure and they give us B.

But that's a chance to take. Cause at least then, there's a shot at A. With Gentry, there's no shot. We know what we have; he's a B result coach. It's just not good enough and any team that wants to move on, has to move on.

My guess?

Nope.
    He might just get another extension . He fits Gayle’s budget.

Hall of Famer
    No. He will finish out the year.. If he was ever gonna be fired. It would of been 6-26.
    I'm talking about after the season, not here in the bubble

Thread Information