Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Thursday August 6: Pelicans vs Kings Bubble Matinee(12:30 PM) Gameday Thread

Hall of Famer
    What about jerry stackhouse?

I can understand people not wanting to fire Gentry, he drives good content as an incompetent coach.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    I'm talking about after the season, not here in the bubble
    His contract is over after this season. Do I expect him to get reupped in one of the worst year in franchise history outside of total Ls.

We still own the crown for worst winning percentage at .230 with over 30 games played.

So, I find extremely unlikely if Griffin wants to stick around long term if he makes a move like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    His contract is over after this season. Do I expect him to get reupped in one of the worst year in franchise history outside of total Ls.

We still own the crown for worst winning percentage at .230 with over 30 games played.

So, I find extremely unlikely if Griffin wants to stick around long term if he makes a move like that.
    Just fire Gentry, or let him resign due to age or whatever he wants to do, it doesn't have to be a big disgraceful thing on him. Then hire someone else, obviously people have their favourites, I like Becky, but do a proper set of interviews, talk to 5 or 6 different people, preferably people who don't have hundreds of losing games under their belt, and then hire someone. Go into the new season with a new coach.

Sadly, I get the distinct feeling what's going to actually happen is that we're going to get told ''last season didn't work out how we wanted but we had so many injuries and then just as we were getting our rhythm, COVID shut everything down. Cause of that, we can't evaluate last season properly, and even if we did hire a new coach we don't have the time to manage that kind of shakeup due to the shortened prep time before next season starts. So we're just gonna run it back with Alvin.''
    Basketball.

I'm trying to decide who's worse...

Paul Silas
    Tim Floyd
    Byron Scott
    Alvin Gentry

Notice I didn't include Monty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Just fire Gentry, or let him resign due to age or whatever he wants to do, it doesn't have to be a big disgraceful thing on him. Then hire someone else, obviously people have their favourites, I like Becky, but do a proper set of interviews, talk to 5 or 6 different people, preferably people who don't have hundreds of losing games under their belt, and then hire someone. Go into the new season with a new coach.

Sadly, I get the distinct feeling what's going to actually happen is that we're going to get told ''last season didn't work out how we wanted but we had so many injuries and then just as we were getting our rhythm, COVID shut everything down. Cause of that, we can't evaluate last season properly, and even if we did hire a new coach we don't have the time to manage that kind of shakeup due to the shortened prep time before next season starts. So we're just gonna run it back with Alvin.''
    I just want Gentry to retire and move up to management and by management... Furtherest away from any personnel decisions or scouting.

Much like presidents, 70 year olds should be retire and not in charge of anything.

Alvin Gentry's records as head coach for the Pelicans:

2015-16: 30-52
    2016-17: 34-48
    2017-18: 48-34
    2018-19: 33-49
    2019-20 (so far): 29-39

There is literally one player remaining on the team from that 2015-16 team, that's Jrue. So it's not that we just happen to have a particularly motley roster.

One winning season in 5 years. None of the other years are even within 5 games of .500, and that one season we won was when literally everything clicked perfectly on the roster. AD went on a multi-month murder spree, Jrue was at his peak on defense, 3-Kola Mirotic was shooting lights out, etc etc.

I just want Gentry to retire and move up to management and by management... Furtherest away from any personnel decisions or scouting.

Much like presidents, 70 year olds should be retire and not in charge of anything.
    In 90% of cases, agreed.

There is literally one player remaining on the team from that 2015-16 team, that's Jrue. So it's not that we just happen to have a particularly motley roster.

One winning season in 5 years. None of the other years are even within 5 games of .500, and that one season we won was when literally everything clicked perfectly on the roster. AD went on a multi-month murder spree, Jrue was at his peak on defense, 3-Kola Mirotic was shooting lights out, etc etc.
    People will say “well he was dealing with injuries”, but it’s not like he was rolling out G-Leaguers either. The dude is just a mediocre (at best) coach.

I hope we don’t waste the Jrue/Zion/BI years like we wasted the Jrue/AD, DX/CP3/Peja/Chandler years.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I'm trying to decide who's worse...

Paul Silas
    Tim Floyd
    Byron Scott
    Alvin Gentry

Notice I didn't include Monty.
    Why include Paul Silas? He at least had a nice playoffs run. Byron Scott had the best season as a coach here and got the Nets to the finals 2 straight years.

As for Gentry, I tried to defend this man when all the injuries happened, but I give up. His extreme lack of success, across multiple head coaching stints, speaks for itself.

Nice guy, but his place as a coach is as an assistant at best.

Hall of Famer

Yea in. Most cases that should lead to a firing. The media see,s tocbe finally catching on now

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Yea in. Most cases that should lead to a firing. The media see,s tocbe finally catching on now
    This is part of what gets me. How many other jobs can you fail so consistently at and not just keep your job, but get extended?

Most of the other jobs that accept this level of failure are in politics.

This is part of what gets me. How many other jobs can you fail so consistently at and not just keep your job, but get extended?

Most of the other jobs that accept this level of failure are in politics.
    His first two seasons were two of the most injury filled seasons of any team of any sport.

The last year was a fiasco. So even though I think his time needs to be done, I certainly won't get amnesia about those years and blame him for it.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    His first two seasons were two of the most injury filled seasons of any team of any sport.

The last year was a fiasco. So even though I think his time needs to be done, I certainly won't get amnesia about those years and blame him for it.
    What about this year, for example? We weren't top of the list in games lost due to injury this year, and yet we still stunk.

This is the issue, there's always an excuse. Every year we get ''well you know, you can't fire him this year, look at the injuries!'' and then the next year you get ''well you know we did have some injuries again, it was pretty bad'' and then the next year you get ''yes well, no major injuries but Anthony Davis was a jerk, wasn't he?'' like come on. This year's excuse is going to be injuries and COVID.

Next year, we keep him, we miss the playoffs and we blame it on Ingram missing a week in January with a sprained ankle or something?

I’m not really arsed if we miss out on playoffs to be honest. The Pelicans have a bright future ahead and this may well get us a better draft pick. We just aren’t ready.

Only way I come out of this upset is if we extend Gentry. There is enough sample size to fire this guy into oblivion. God bless Alvin, but please retire.

What about this year, for example? We weren't top of the list in games lost due to injury this year, and yet we still stunk.

This is the issue, there's always an excuse. Every year we get ''well you know, you can't fire him this year, look at the injuries!'' and then the next year you get ''well you know we did have some injuries again, it was pretty bad'' and then the next year you get ''yes well, no major injuries but Anthony Davis was a jerk, wasn't he?'' like come on. This year's excuse is going to be injuries and COVID.

Next year, we keep him, we miss the playoffs and we blame it on Ingram missing a week in January with a sprained ankle or something?

There are just things Gentry allows that he shouldn't.

The team just fought to get back within 3. Then Lonzo comes down after a steal, puts up a step back, 1-on-4 three pointer.

Any good head coach berates him at the next time out and sits him for that. Completely inexcusable. And of course they never get that close again.

You can't have your point guard wasting possessions like that this late in the season.. That is just a sign of bad coaching.

When we get a new coach. Will Holiday demand a trade so that he can compete for a championship in his prime? He has been super loyal to us. Jrue Holiday is our Kyle Lowry.

Holiday is such a weird offensive piece with elite defense. Not good enough facilitater to run the point and more volume than efficiency shooter than you want at the position.
    Last edited by Taker597; 08-06-2020 at 06:56 PM.

When we get a new coach. Will Holiday demand a trade so that he can compete for a championship in his prime? He has been super loyal to us. Jrue Holiday is our Kyle Lowry.

Holiday is such a weird offensive piece with elite defense. Not good enough facilitater to run the point and more volume than efficiency shooter than you want at the position.
    Jrue was at his best when AD was going berserk and there were other ball handlers on the roster. Allowed him to score efficiently, make the easy passes while the defense was distracted elsewhere, but put most of his energy in defense. That's what we got last time we made the playoffs and to a lesser extent the year after. That was the Jrue that was top 20 in RPM and PIPM two years running.

When you ask him to actually be a lead facilitator, and also a lead scorer, and also run the defense and take the hardest assignment, then you just ask too much and it nothing works quite how it should.

If Memphis wins 2 games and Blazer win 2 games. We will be officially eliminated?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I think a big part of our problem is no one wants to open their mouth and take command. Zion is taking a backseat because he's still a rookie. But no one is vocal.

It's why we looked so much better with Rondo despite him being crap as a player. He was a vocal leader in the locker room. We have GOT to find someone that can be that person.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I think a big part of our problem is no one wants to open their mouth and take command. Zion is taking a backseat because he's still a rookie. But no one is vocal.

It's why we looked so much better with Rondo despite him being crap as a player. He was a vocal leader in the locker room. We have GOT to find someone that can be that person.
    Could have been Chris Paul if we took him in a dump last summer. Just sayin.

At least we got the Wizard tomorrow. We can't loss that game, right?

At least we got the Wizard tomorrow. We can't loss that game, right?
    Tank!

Extreme German Tiger tank.

Thread Information