Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fire David Griffin and Gentry

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Said it on page 1
    And might you tell me whose responsible for the hiring of the last ranked In the nba defensive coordinator?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    You can't reason with someone who didn't use reason to get themselves where they are.

If someone seriously thinks we should fire a VP of Basketball Ops after one bloody season, then leave them alone to macerate in their delusion. Like people who say the world is flat. That COVID is a hoax. Or vaccines cause autism.
    You ignoring the losses are what we call delusional. I don’t care how long a VP has been here for if he isn’t trying to take steps to make us a good team. He should’ve had gentry canned by all star and he hired the d coordinator and kept some of these players on this guard heavy team.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlPelsFan View Post
    You ignoring the losses are what we call delusional. I don’t care how long a VP has been here for if he isn’t trying to take steps to make us a good team. He should’ve had gentry canned by all star and he hired the d coordinator and kept some of these players on this guard heavy team.
    Remind me the last time that firing a coach mid-season helped the team that did it long term?
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Remind me the last time that firing a coach mid-season helped the team that did it long term?
    Didn't Cavs fired Blatt in the craziest year ever?

Jason Kidd.

Hall of Famer
    And might you tell me whose responsible for the hiring of the last ranked In the nba defensive coordinator?
    Mr griffin?

Hall of Famer
    https://www.sportscasting.com/1-reas...icans-rebuild/ some times it's best to say nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Didn't Cavs fired Blatt in the craziest year ever?
    That's true although it's worth noting that that was a Lebron team, and Lebron is a system, as everyone knows.

That's true although it's worth noting that that was a Lebron team, and Lebron is a system, as everyone knows.
    But Griffin was part of that system, too. My biggest fear is that when you take away Lebron and you start see how fraudulent some of these people are... I really hope Griffin isn't another name on the list. His hands where dirty in drafting Anthony Bennett.

Griffin response to that: "You ******** up sometimes."

After this offseason, I'm really shakey on Griffin talent evaluation and roster building skill. Hopefully, a new coach will guide him to more sensible roster.

Can I really blame Griff for keeping Gentry when that was almost a requirement to land the job? Would Griff have chosen to keep Gentry otherwise? Gayle needs to take her hands completely off the wheel and let the GM do his thing for me to judge him properly. For all of Demps’s failures, his nuts were in a vice due to Tom’s demands. Gayle needs to not make the same mistake here and let Griff release Gentry

Give me the guy with the proven best win percentage of all active college coaches against major competition with one of the smaller enrollmentS from which to draw. MARK FEW.

Alvin Gentry

You keep posting this, but with no context. Do you know anything about Bzdelik or his coaching history?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    You keep posting this, but with no context. Do you know anything about Bzdelik or his coaching history?
    Yeah, the rockets have been one of the worst defensive teams the last few years when he was over there and we have been looking horrible also.

Yeah, the rockets have been one of the worst defensive teams the last few years when he was over there and we have been looking horrible also.
    It actually depends on what measure you use for defense, and when you take the number.

For example, in one of the seasons Bzdelik was Rockets defensive head honcho, they were the 6th ranked defense.

In other season where they were worse, he still had them ranked very highly in defensive rebounding, 5th in deflections per game, 6th in defending isolation plays, 2nd in defending DHOs, etc etc.

This just hit me. It's obvious once you think of it, but for some reason it hadn't crossed my mind.

Alvin Gentry has coached 17 seasons, including this one. He has made the playoffs 3 times (assuming we don't make it this year, which seems probable).

This means that he has made the playoffs 3/17 times trying: or 17.6% of his seasons.

Pop from the Spurs has been a head coach for 24 years, including this one. He has 5 rings as head coach.

That means he has won a championship 5/24 times trying: or 20.8% of his seasons.

In any given season, Pop is more likely to win a ring than a Gentry team is to make the playoffs.

Christ.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    This just hit me. It's obvious once you think of it, but for some reason it hadn't crossed my mind.

Alvin Gentry has coached 17 seasons, including this one. He has made the playoffs 3 times (assuming we don't make it this year, which seems probable).

This means that he has made the playoffs 3/17 times trying: or 17.6% of his seasons.

Pop from the Spurs has been a head coach for 24 years, including this one. He has 5 rings as head coach.

That means he has won a championship 5/24 times trying: or 20.8% of his seasons.

In any given season, Pop is more likely to win a ring than a Gentry team is to make the playoffs.

Christ.
    When they hired Gentry, nobody was happy because he was a career loser before he came to New Orleans. Just a bad hire from a bad GM.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Absolutely can’t blame any D coach for the Pels under Alvin. His offense is so sporadic that it becomes impossible to judge defense when the players are scrambling just to get back. Also, Alvin hasn’t played a normal lineup after the first 6 minutes of each game. Pels have played 4 guards and Melli against teams with an average 6’8 lineup. How does anyone expect defense to be played with his ridiculously small lineups that are constantly undersized. The roster has bigs but Al would rather play Hart and Moore at PF and Melli at Center. Just a disaster to be in Bzdelik or Erman’s shoes.

Pels interested in ty Lue and Jason Kidd if they fire Gentry - Woj

Seriously, I'll be on the fire David Griffin train if this happens... Hiring Ty Lue, Jason Kidd, or Gentry staying... None of those options are acceptable.

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/tyronn-l...-for-pelicans/
    Last edited by Taker597; 08-08-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Pels interested in ty Lue and Jason Kidd if they fire Gentry - Woj

Seriously, I'll be on the fire David Griffin train if this happens... Hiring Ty Lue, Jason Kidd, or Gentry staying... None of those options are acceptable.
    I could not agree more! All three are absolutely terrible decisions!!!

I would take a great and young college coach.

I want someone like Stevens from Boston.

Why would anyone want Lou, Kidd, or Gentry? This isn’t Trump vs Biden, we shouldn’t have to choose between worse and worser. I’m not a fan of having to choose between retreads when we have 2 of the league’s premier young players.

Give me fresh blood over failed experiments.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I would like them to at least look at Atkinson, Ham and Lee for starters.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I don’t see Lue as a bad hire. We just could do better. Jason Kidd though would be unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I don’t see Lue as a bad hire. We just could do better. Jason Kidd though would be unacceptable.
    Jason Kidd would actually be worse than Gentry.

Neither of them are good coaches, but at least Gentry is a decent guy (to my knowledge). Kidd is a trash human being to go along with an incompetent coach.

I would like them to at least look at Atkinson, Ham and Lee for starters.
    Same, and Hammon as well; and I think I've seen some people plug Jamahl Mosley from the Mavs. So that's 5 options to at least look at before you start scraping the barrel of Jason Kidd.

Thread Information